Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2010 9:34:18 AM EDT
With the popularity of in car gps systems, how long until we get to the point where next to nobody can read a regular old paper road map?

I mean, it was bad before your car told you where to turn, but now?  

As a society, our reliance on technology is saddening.  Basic skills have been lost.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:35:38 AM EDT
[#1]
The people that cannot read maps now are the same people that couldn't read one before. Hell a map on a computer still confuses them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:36:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I always have one... just in case.. specially if I end up in NYC.

one time after work I had to get from santa monica to north hollywood and a waitress was driving me there..she started to freak out cause her gps wasnt working.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:37:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I always have one... just in case.. specially if I end up in NYC.

one time after work I had to get from santa monica to north hollywood and a waitress was driving me there..she started to freak out cause her gps wasnt working.  

Stupid never fades, just looks.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:38:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I hate those things because they can't tell me simple stuff that a map can do.  Like is HW 5 on the north side of this highway or south side.  I ask my buddy that and he whips his GPS out asks me what the address of the location is.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:40:16 AM EDT
[#5]
GPS units are great if you are navigating and driving solo ... especially in the dark.  

But yeah we need to retain the basic skills for when you need a plan B.  Ever had a rental car whose accessory 12V plug doesn't work?  I have.  Your GPS goes dead in two hours and then you're SOL if you can't get around without one!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:41:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Fuck that, you can't beat obnoxious road trip companions with a rolled-up GPS.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:43:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I hate those things because they can't tell me simple stuff that a map can do.  Like is HW 5 on the north side of this highway or south side.  I ask my buddy that and he whips his GPS out asks me what the address of the location is.  

That is why smartphones are going to overtake Standalone GPS units. They have the silly turn by turns, but they also have flat standard maps, online or offline.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:47:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Paper maps will never go away, but I imagine that they'll become less and less common over the next decade.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:52:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Put it in a tube sock.  Problem solved.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:54:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but then you have to take it out of the tube sock to use it for the GPS, put it back in to use it as a sap... too much effort, especially when driving, compared to the ease of a rolled map.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:54:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Paper maps will never go away, but I imagine that they'll become less and less common over the next decade.

Agreed. I keep a set of regional Topos rolled up in a water proof tube just in case.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:54:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but then you have to take it out of the tube sock to use it for the GPS, put it back in to use it as a sap... too much effort, especially when driving, compared to the ease of a rolled map.

Knee high stocking then?  They are relatively see through.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top