Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2002 3:39:04 PM EDT
OK, as previously posted, I own an '01 F350 w/PowerStroke diesel and my dad owns an '01 Chevy 2500HD w/Duramax diesel. Both are 4x4s and both have auto trannys.

We were towing a couple of trailers recently, and decided to run a comparison. The trailers were 8400lbs loaded and were "tag-a-long" (Reese hitch) type.

After six or so miles, we switched and finished the drive home (another seven miles).

Head to head, the Chevy simply pulverizes the Ford in towing power. It stays in a workable part of the powerband most of the time with the 5-spd Allison automatic. The three speeds that the Ford works with in the towing mode leave the tranny pulling in too-high of a gear if going up hills.

In virtually every other category (ride comfort, visibility, stability, etc.) the Ford takes the edge.

Dad said he preferred to tow with the Ford but liked the drivetrain of the Chevy. His trailers can weigh up to 10,000lbs so he needs more power than I do. My one trailer weighs 4,200lbs loaded so balls-to-the-wall power isn't as important to me.

Neither one of us liked towing with the Chevy as much as with the Ford.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 3:52:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Wait until late 2002 or 2003 Ford is comig out with a new 5 speed. I believe it called the  5r110w transmisson. It is supposed to have a higher torque rating and better fuel economy.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I also understand that Ford is working on its own diesel engine, a 6.0 liter w/o glow plugs.

Supposed to have 300hp, same as the Duramax.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 4:07:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Duramax w/ the Allisson hard to beat.I always did like the Cummins but not Dodge.Powerstroke geez wheres the comparison of all three!
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 4:12:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Duramax w/ the Allisson hard to beat.I always did like the Cummins but not Dodge.Powerstroke geez wheres the comparison of all three!
View Quote

The Dodge was in the repair shop getting a new front end, new transmission, and a complete brake job. :)

Too bad Dodge can't put together a solid pickup around the Cummins. That is the engine I wanted.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 5:56:24 PM EDT
[#5]
My engine wouldn't stay stock, and from what I understand you can do a lot more to increase power on a PSD than you can (yet) for a Duramax. The Allison, IMO, MAKES the Duramax when comparing auto trannies. With 6-speeds there's less of a difference. One thing I like about the Super Duty is the solid front axle - I do NOT like or trust IFS for truly heavy-duty work, and they're not as likely to stay in alignment during pothole season.

I'd still take a Cummins over any of them, but the Dodge truck itself doesn't impress me all that much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top