Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2010 5:30:58 AM EDT
It's the time of year where it's almost cool enough to do work in your attic if you've been putting it off. I have replaced windows with double pane, low-e and argon filled glass to a tune of almost $3k in my house.

I want to tackle removing the heat from the attic next. My house has 3 roof vents above the main part of the house, one vent above the garage and sofits ( sp? ) along the bottom side of the eves of the whole house.

I was thinking about adding a attic fan but not sure how to go about it. If I add one to one of the vents do I risk it creating a vacuum and possibly draw water from the other 2 vents if it rains? Do I put 3 fans in? One on each one? How about the garage? Should I put one there too?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:35:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you have perferated (vented) soffits ?     ridge vent?     Preferably you want the air coming in the soffit and exiting near the peek.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:36:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd be interested in hearing what others in the know have to say.

I was told that if you have soffit vents, you should have an attic fan OR a ridge vent but not both.  If some builder sold/built attic fans with the ridge vent as well already in place, the air will flow "in" the ridge vent and "out" the attic fan (i.e. a very small path), versus the larger intended flow going "in" soffit vents, and "out" the top (if having only attic fan or only ridge vent).
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:37:57 AM EDT
[#3]
tag
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:42:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Do you have perferated (vented) soffits ?     ridge vent?     Preferably you want the air coming in the soffit and exiting near the peek.

Yes perforated soffits. No ridge vent.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:47:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I installed one of these in my attic and it made a huge difference.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:52:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:54:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Did you diy? In FL our attic is unbearably hot during the summer. I'm sure it would make a huge difference to our cooling bill if I could get that hot air out. I've heard the fans can make a 20 deg difference in the attic temp.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:57:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I took out our fans and put turbines in. it pulls the same amount of air but saves me cash on the energy bill.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:03:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Thanks for the link. I was thinking about something like that. I think my current vents on top are a bit too small.

EDIT: Pics added.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:04:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you diy? In FL our attic is unbearably hot during the summer. I'm sure it would make a huge difference to our cooling bill if I could get that hot air out. I've heard the fans can make a 20 deg difference in the attic temp.

Yes, it only took about an hour and was pretty easy.  PM me if you want details about the install or have any other questions about it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:08:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Very similar to the one we got. It made a HUGE difference in our electric bill. Our house is in TX and the month of July was down almost 500 KWH from July of last year. That, despite the fact that we were moving during July and the doors were wide open for an extended period, and the temps were very hot.

ETA: it also made a huge difference in the ability of our AC to keep up with cooling.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:09:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the link. I was thinking about something like that. I think my current vents on top are a bit too small.

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/1167/cimg3218.jpg

The fans in the link I provided really move some air; and with the automatic thermostat it works quite nicely.

ETA:  I put one in my attic and one in my garage. Here are some pics of the underside of the one I put in my garage.  This is the same fan that is in the link.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:27:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I know my experience is only Oregon, but if you have not put reflective insulation in your attic, you should.

Very easy to install (knife, scissors, metal tape and staple-gun), and knocked about 20 degrees off the max temperature in the during the Summer.

"Reflectix" from Home Depot.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:28:20 AM EDT
[#14]

They suck. Literally
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:46:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The fans in the link I provided really move some air; and with the automatic thermostat it works quite nicely.

ETA:  I put one in my attic and one in my garage. Here are some pics of the underside of the one I put in my garage.  This is the same fan that is in the link.

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt105/joeh177/IMG_1342.jpg

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt105/joeh177/IMG_1343.jpg
Nice and clean install. Since I have 3 roof vents Im not sure if I need 3 fans or not. I am tihnking just 1 will do but worried about it sucking hot air or rain through the other 2.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:50:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I wonder if I can install one of these on my current vents.

http://www.amazon.com/Ventamatic-CX1500-Power-Gable-Ventilator/dp/B000LNII4Q

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:00:08 AM EDT
[#17]
if you have a gas furnace or gas vents in your attic, you need to be careful that you do not create too much suction and pull the exhaust from its vent.  there is apparently some calculation that you can do to come up with the max cfm's your attic can handle.  google around for attic vents/gable vents and you'll find a few websites that do a good job of explaining what to and what not to do.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:01:19 AM EDT
[#18]

for a gable?  you could, but you would have to cover the side of the gable if it is bigger than the fan, or you'll just draw air in around the fan.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:04:19 AM EDT
[#19]

sweet I have been wanting one of these thanks !
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:26:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt105/joeh177/IMG_1342.jpg

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt105/joeh177/IMG_1343.jpg

Nice and clean install. Since I have 3 roof vents Im not sure if I need 3 fans or not. I am tihnking just 1 will do but worried about it sucking hot air or rain through the other 2.

I have soffet vents, and a ridge vent, and it's still hot as fuck upstairs.  I need to do something.  I guess I would have to seal off the ridge vent in order for it to work right?  What's the best way?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top