Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2010 3:25:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:28:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Check around for a reman alternator.  Might save ya a hundred or so.  I would do it as you've outlined here.  The extra juice won't hurt and the extra battery will help tremendously.  YMMV!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:34:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I had  98 GMC that went through three of the reman alts in a two year stretch. I would pop for the bigger unit; it is more likely going to last you longer.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:37:13 AM EDT
[#3]
If you're going to add the lights and radio it would be a good idea to go with the bigger alt.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:39:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Check around for a reman alternator.  Might save ya a hundred or so.  I would do it as you've outlined here.  The extra juice won't hurt and the extra battery will help tremendously.  YMMV!

NO NO NO Do not spend money on a damn reman alternator for this vehicle

Ive owned 7 different 88-98 GM fullsize trucks/suvs.  Save yourself the trouble and get a "New" alternator.

As a matter of fact, Id always recommend going new on a vehicle you will keep after the repair.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:44:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I might suggest the 130 amp altenator, and a dual battery setup.

Probably cost less than the 200 amp altenator, and be a more usable setup.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:55:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Get Both!  I say get the higher output alternator AND a dual battery setup.  

Sometimes those higher amp alternators use a smaller pulley as well, so you may or may not need a new belt.   Depending on when you changed your belt out, might not be bad to put on a new one anyways.  Keep the current belt as a spare.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:02:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Check out your yellow pages.

In Savannah, there is a guy who has a little shop and rebuilds alternators and starters for cheap.  He does top knotch work with a significant savings over remans that you get from autozone and the like.  He also gives you a 1 year guarantee.  I don't' know how good it is, as I have never had one of his units break.  

IIRC he charged me $110 last year for the alternator on the wife's 'Burb.

If you live in any sizeable town, you may find something similar.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:04:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Dual batts is a good idea,  even take a look at some optimas. but i would defiantly stay away from aftermarket alternators.  I work at a dealer and i cant tell you how many times we get trucks in that just had those great reman alternators installed and they still wont charge.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:14:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Check out your yellow pages.

In Savannah, there is a guy who has a little shop and rebuilds alternators and starters for cheap.  He does top knotch work with a significant savings over remans that you get from autozone and the like.  He also gives you a 1 year guarantee.  I don't' know how good it is, as I have never had one of his units break.  

IIRC he charged me $110 last year for the alternator on the wife's 'Burb.

If you live in any sizeable town, you may find something similar.

We have a alternator/ starter shop here in town.  

They can build your old unit back stronger in most cases.  

I would try to stay with stock belt , pulley , mount so that 200 miles from home on the side of the road you can get a replacement.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:03:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I might suggest the 130 amp altenator, and a dual battery setup.

Probably cost less than the 200 amp altenator, and be a more usable setup.

this.  I have 2 red top optima's in my truck.. lots of ham gear 8k winch,, stereo, lights, strobes etc....
you won't have them all on at the same time... and the amount of reserve power available to you is nice if you want to yak on the radio without the truck idling.  also good for putting an invertor in the truck.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:12:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Most rebuild shops can make a stock case stronger/more amps.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:34:14 AM EDT
[#13]

TBS- You might check into these guys, http://www.southernarmature.org/ , they have rebuilt stuff for us over the last thirty years and always do good work.

They might have a stronger rebuild or could beef up your existing setup for you.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:57:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd go to Summitracing.com and get either a 150 amp at $241 or a 200 amp for $389:  Summit Powermaster alternators   (btw I assumed the 454 engine in that search).

Good luck.

Merlin
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:03:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top