Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2010 2:31:48 AM EDT
I'm not anal about the cost of things (if I leave a light on in the other room I don't freak about it), but I'm weird about wanting to know the (near) exact cost of everything I do.

For example,

If I leave our kitchen island lights on for one hour (2-13 watt bulbs and our normal "stay on" light) it costs $.00104

A regular 100 watt bulb on for an hour = .008

My computer on (running actively) for an hour = 0.032

Taking a 10 minute shower = .0963 (might be off a little because the gas part is more of an estimate than the others)

Mowing the lawn = .33 (no maintenance)

Drive to work and back = 2.49 (no maintenance)

Leave all my outside front lights on all night = .348

Charge my cell phone from zero = .00024

Leave the charger in all day w/o phone = .000965
I know, I'm weird.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:34:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Cost to read this thread: 0.01

I want my penny back.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:34:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Now.. only if you used this time / brain power to solve world hunger...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:36:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Leaving your computer on costs you $7.68/day, $230.40 for the month?  That's 80% of my electric bill.  That is at the 32 cents/hr you quoted.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:40:20 AM EDT
[#4]

"My computer on (running actively) for an hour = 0.32"

Stats on this one please. At 10 or 12 cents per KW this seems high.

How many watts do you think your computer runs at?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:40:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Leaving your computer on costs you $7.68/day, $230.40 for the month? That's 80% of my electric bill. That is at the 32 cents/hr you quoted.

Using it (playing a video game), drawing power to the cards and such. Not just leaving it on. This includes the monitor, speakers, etc.....

I figure all that draws about 400 watts/hr.   Just over .08 per kw/hr, BTW.

Just leaving it on definately draws quite a bit of power as well. I did a test about a year ago. I left the computer on all month. The next month I turned it off if I wasn't using it. It made about a $20 difference in the bill.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:44:14 AM EDT
[#6]
How much will itr cost you to watch THIS SHOW?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:44:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

How much will itr cost you to watch THIS SHOW?

Better than not giving a shit. Besides it gives me ammo when the wife gripes about when I forget to turn the garage light off. I can tell her exactly how much below a dime it cost us.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:43:33 AM EDT
[#8]

"I figure all that draws about 400 watts/hr. Just over .08 per kw/hr, BTW."

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-

That is $0.032/hr   not 32 cents/hr ––––>  3.2 cents/hr

1000 watts for 1 hour is 1kw = $0.08
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:53:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I think your math is flawed on the computer.

No way in hell it draws that much.  

I used to figure how much it cost me to plug in my Powerstroke diesel overnight.  It averaged to about 1.50 a night.

You are telling me a computer draws more than a block heater in a diesel engine?  Hmmmm
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:56:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I used to figure how much it cost me to plug in my Powerstroke diesel overnight.  It averaged to about 1.50 a night.

You are telling me a computer draws more than a block heater in a diesel engine?  Hmmmm

I noticed that too.  I think he forgot a zero after the decimal.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:04:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Leaving your computer on costs you $7.68/day, $230.40 for the month? That's 80% of my electric bill. That is at the 32 cents/hr you quoted.

Using it (playing a video game), drawing power to the cards and such. Not just leaving it on. This includes the monitor, speakers, etc.....

I figure all that draws about 400 watts/hr.   Just over .08 per kw/hr, BTW.

Just leaving it on definately draws quite a bit of power as well. I did a test about a year ago. I left the computer on all month. The next month I turned it off if I wasn't using it. It made about a $20 difference in the bill.

If you really want to know what it's costing you buy a kill a watt.  I did and tested my computer, monitor, printer, modem, router and phone for 2 months which cost me less than $6 a month to run it all at .06cents per kwh.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:40:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used to figure how much it cost me to plug in my Powerstroke diesel overnight. It averaged to about 1.50 a night.

You are telling me a computer draws more than a block heater in a diesel engine? Hmmmm

I noticed that too. I think he forgot a zero after the decimal.

I'm pretty sure I got the decimel right.

I might be off on the wattage. 400 is a guess. Computer w/ one of the newer vid cards that needs a power cord from the PS, 2 hard drives, and external HD,  monitor, printer, sound mixer, 5.1 speakers, monitor, powered game controllers. It is all on a power strip I turn off.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:55:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used to figure how much it cost me to plug in my Powerstroke diesel overnight. It averaged to about 1.50 a night.

You are telling me a computer draws more than a block heater in a diesel engine? Hmmmm

I might be off on the wattage. 400 is a guess. Computer w/ one of the newer vid cards that needs a power cord from the PS, 2 hard drives, and external HD,  monitor, printer, sound mixer, 5.1 speakers, monitor, powered game controllers. It is all on a power strip I turn off.

No way your GPU is pulling that much power. The harddrives might be your biggest load when they are spooling up, but that's about it. Hell, I was running crysis on high-res on a 8800GTS (really taxes that vid card btw) and it still didn't pull over 300W total from the computer, monitor, and speakers.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:59:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Now, tell me what is the ground speed of an unladen swallow?

You can estimate using Kill A Watt (as already mentioned) or in a pinch just take a guesstimate from your PC's battery backup.  I use a CyberPower battery backup system and it can tell me how many watts are being burned at any point in time.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:00:15 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I might be off on the wattage. 400 is a guess. Computer w/ one of the newer vid cards that needs a power cord from the PS, 2 hard drives, and external HD, monitor, printer, sound mixer, 5.1 speakers, monitor, powered game controllers. It is all on a power strip I turn off.

No way your GPU is pulling that much power. The harddrives might be your biggest load when they are spooling up, but that's about it. Hell, I was running crysis on high-res on a 8800GTS (really taxes that vid card btw) and it still didn't pull over 300W total from the computer, monitor, and speakers.

Crysis does make the vidcard work. 300W? I guess I over estimated on the computer. That actually is a good thing.

The lightbulbs have it printed on them.  I think I'm ok there.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:00:38 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

You can estimate using Kill A Watt (as already mentioned) or in a pinch just take a guesstimate from your PC's battery backup. I use a CyberPower battery backup system and it can tell me how many watts are being burned at any point in time.

Cool!!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:09:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You figured a 100 W light bulb to be .008.

Even if the computer were 400W, if you based it on the same numbers as your light bulb, wouldn't it be (.008 x 4) which is .032?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:13:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Nope, it's spelled decimAl.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:21:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Sherrick13, how much crude oil does it take to make one fully functioning modern windmill?

I figure the carbon blades are all petroleum products, the wiring is cased in plastic, the foundry that makes the gears use a ton of fuel, etc..

The figure out the lifespan of the windmill.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:27:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sherrick13, how much crude oil does it take to make one fully functioning modern windmill?

I figure the carbon blades are all petroleum products, the wiring is cased in plastic, the foundry that makes the gears use a ton of fuel, etc..

Are those blades made in an autoclave and how much energy does that use?

How many vehicles drive to the construction site every day, and how many semi trucks drive how many miles to get the parts on-site?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:33:48 AM EDT
[#21]
I did the other day, actually

I was going to take my dad to shoot a full-auto Glock at the indoor range last weekend.

Glock 18 at ~1300 rounds per minute or
~21.7 rounds per second

9mm ammo at $16 per box or
$0.32 per round

21.6 rounds/sec at $0.32 per round = $6.91 per second

Figure in tax, that's about SEVEN DOLLARS PER SECOND!

Yeah, we had a good time
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:00:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You can estimate using Kill A Watt (as already mentioned) or in a pinch just take a guesstimate from your PC's battery backup.  I use a CyberPower battery backup system and it can tell me how many watts are being burned at any point in time.  

African or European?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:14:19 AM EDT
[#23]
A midget stripper in WI costs you $400 for 4 hours.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:53:10 AM EDT
[#24]
I do the same thing. I don't care what it costs, but I just want to know.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:16:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I do the same thing. I don't care what it costs, but I just want to know.

I think we are all this way to a point, we are giving the OP a hard time because his math is fuzzy.

Information is only useful if its correct.

If you just want to read senseless script, there is always GD.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:29:09 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

A laden carbon blade or unladen?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:30:26 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, it's spelled decimAl.

Damnit!!  I'm supposed to be the spelling nazi.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:33:52 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I might be off on the wattage. 400 is a guess. Computer w/ one of the newer vid cards that needs a power cord from the PS, 2 hard drives, and external HD, monitor, printer, sound mixer, 5.1 speakers, monitor, powered game controllers. It is all on a power strip I turn off.
You figured a 100 W light bulb to be .008.

Even if the computer were 400W, if you based it on the same numbers as your light bulb, wouldn't it be (.008 x 4) which is .032?

Shit, you are right.

That is what staring at numbers all day (accounting homework) will do to you.

OP fixed and thank you for the persistence.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:57:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm not anal about the cost of things (if I leave a light on in the other room I don't freak about it), but I'm weird about wanting to know the (near) exact cost of everything I do.

For example,

If I leave our kitchen island lights on for one hour (2-13 watt bulbs and our normal "stay on" light) it costs $.00104

A regular 100 watt bulb on for an hour = .008

My computer on (running actively) for an hour = 0.032

Taking a 10 minute shower = .0963 (might be off a little because the gas part is more of an estimate than the others)

Mowing the lawn = .33 (no maintenance)

Drive to work and back = 2.49 (no maintenance)

Leave all my outside front lights on all night = .348

Charge my cell phone from zero = .00024

Leave the charger in all day w/o phone = .000965

I know, I'm weird.

Want a job in Afghanistan or Iraq as a Cost Analyst?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top