Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2010 6:59:24 PM EDT
I think my roof has hail damage. How do I go about the process? Do they prorate the roofs life?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:59:41 PM EDT
[#1]
You dont use it. Unless it damn near knocked it off the foundation or burned to the ground. Home owners Ins is a nightmare.
They can and will cancel you at a moments notice for even thinking about using it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:04:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Odds are:
They send out an adjuster to inspect.  He'll look for hail strikes.  If any are confirmed, those individual shingles are probably covered.

He will proceed to circle all of the strikes and then draw out a 10'X10' square (referred to as a "square" in roofing terms) and that square will be the representative sample of hail damage for the whole slope or roof.  Enough hits in that "sample" area, and the whole roof gets replaced.

If you are getting replacement cash value, he'll do an estimate on the roof and take off depreciation.  He'll cut you a check for the depreciated amount, and you can collect the difference when the work is completed.
- BG

EDIT:  

1)  Don't believe that just because a neighbor got a new roof that you need one too.

2)  Don't assume that replacing all of one slope and ignoring the rest is the company cutting corners; hail comes in at an angle and often hits in one direction.

3)  Check your roof vents... those flimsy metal vents will look like a monkey got loose with a ball peen hammer.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Odds are:

They send out an adjuster to inspect.  He'll look for hail strikes.  If any are confirmed, those individual shingles are probably covered.

He will proceed to circle all of the strikes and then draw out a 10'X10' square (referred to as a "square" in roofing terms) and that square will be the representative sample of hail damage for the whole slope or roof.  Enough hits in that "sample" area, and the whole roof gets replaced.

If you are getting replacement cash value, he'll do an estimate on the roof and take off depreciation.  He'll cut you a check for the depreciated amount, and you can collect the difference when the work is completed.

- BG

and then cancel you.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Odds are:

- BG

and then cancel you.

The only time "repercussions" could arise is if an adjuster spots an irregularity that the underwriters need to know about.  The liability people would love to hear about your eight pitbulls that you listed as jack russells.

Someone getting nailed with hail is nothing out of the ordinary.

- BG

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:10:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had nothing but good luck with American Family, we insure everything through them, from life to bikes, and we've had 1 car and 1 motorcycle totaled with complete satisfaction of their service.  I still wouldn't make a homeowners claim unless the thing burns down or I simply cannot afford to make it liveable out of pocket for fear of the blacklist.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Few years ago I had hail damage on my roof.  Adjustor came out, inspected the roof (probably 10-15 yrs old-20 yr shingles).  Told me to find who I wanted to do my roof and have them send the bill to them (the insurance co) and I pay my deductable.  No cancellation and I kept the insurance company until I sold the house.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:13:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Few years ago I had hail damage on my roof.  Adjustor came out, inspected the roof (probably 10-15 yrs old-20 yr shingles).  Told me to find who I wanted to do my roof and have them send the bill to them (the insurance co) and I pay my deductable.  No cancellation and I kept the insurance company until I sold the house.

PSA:  Please have your contractors review the adjuster's estimate and agree to that amount.  Contractors coming back to the company and asking for more money doesn't work out very well for them.

Contractors CAN and will argue about an estimate and haggle it upwards when warranted; but have them do this before the work is started.

- BG

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:13:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You dont use it. Unless it damn near knocked it off the foundation or burned to the ground. Home owners Ins is a nightmare.
They can and will cancel you at a moments notice for even thinking about using it.

A claim resulting as an act of God should not go against a individual homeowner.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Went through this last year, was a breeze,,my adjuster was having some medical issues so was running behind and missed a 3 or 4 appointments . when he called I'd tell him not a big deal the house will be here when you get to it.

Wife was here when he came to do it and all I can say is you would have thought he was working for us not the insurance company. Wife said he actually winked when he was explaining things and said the roof was around XX in age, he knew it was at least 3 times that. We got a check a couple weeks later, for roof,gutters,screens on the windows , vents under the peek, had 2 wall mounted a/c units that I hadn't removed yet after install central air  said they were damaged , she said he even tried to justify replacing our aluminum siding.

I don't think we could have come out better if the wife had blown him  Rates actually dropped $50.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:02:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Few years ago I had hail damage on my roof. Adjustor came out, inspected the roof (probably 10-15 yrs old-20 yr shingles). Told me to find who I wanted to do my roof and have them send the bill to them (the insurance co) and I pay my deductable. No cancellation and I kept the insurance company until I sold the house.

PSA: Please have your contractors review the adjuster's estimate and agree to that amount. Contractors coming back to the company and asking for more money doesn't work out very well for them.

Contractors CAN and will argue about an estimate and haggle it upwards when warranted; but have them do this before the work is started.

- BG

They did.  Your reply reminded me that I had to have the contractor make an estimate and then I gave that to the insurance co.  Then they did the work and sent the bill to the company,.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Odds are:

- BG

and then cancel you.

The only time "repercussions" could arise is if an adjuster spots an irregularity that the underwriters need to know about.  The liability people would love to hear about your eight pitbulls that you listed as jack russells.

- BG

This guy knows what he is talking about and is spot on in everything he said...good detail as well about the "test square" haha

so...to expand on what he said...I am an adjuster and have worked many claims in TX when on the Catastrophe Team of the company I work for. Nonetheless, what area of TX do you live in? If it is the DFW Metroplex, then yeah, you prolly have hail damage, same goes for the Austin area...I would have a LOCAL, again...LOCAL...roofer come out to check it for you prior to filing a claim. Not a storm chaser that is only in town for the hail vent and then will not be around for any follow up maintenance that is needed.

One issue you have to deal with in TX is the wind/hail percentage deductible. You may not have a percentage deductible, but you likely do. You probably have a standard deductible of $500 or $1000 on a claim, but the wind/hail percentage deductible could be anywhere from 1%-5% depending on your policy and what you chose when you set it up based on how much premium you wanted to pay. The percentage deductible overrides the standard deductible and is based on the amount of your building coverage on your house, not based on the amount of the claim. (i.e. if you have a $200,000 house and have a 2% deductible, you have a $4000 deductible for wind/hail only) The companies do this because of the frequency of wind/hail events in TX, OK, KS, etc...

Also, as was said, if you haven't had much claim history and file a claim for hail damage, it is very very very likely the insurance company won't even give it a second thought. So no worries there either...

Otherwise, IM me if you have any questions. I will be glad to answer anything you have or help in any way I can.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:37:35 PM EDT
[#12]
You dont, its a scam, sorta like a mob protection racket
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:15:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Vaseline, lots of vaseline.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:09:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Odds are:

- BG

and then cancel you.

They can't cancel you. Its nature that caused it not you.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:04:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Odds are:

- BG

and then cancel you.

- BG

This guy knows what he is talking about and is spot on in everything he said...good detail as well about the "test square" haha

so...to expand on what he said...I am an adjuster and have worked many claims in TX when on the Catastrophe Team of the company I work for. Nonetheless, what area of TX do you live in? If it is the DFW Metroplex, then yeah, you prolly have hail damage, same goes for the Austin area...I would have a LOCAL, again...LOCAL...roofer come out to check it for you prior to filing a claim. Not a storm chaser that is only in town for the hail vent and then will not be around for any follow up maintenance that is needed.

One issue you have to deal with in TX is the wind/hail percentage deductible. You may not have a percentage deductible, but you likely do. You probably have a standard deductible of $500 or $1000 on a claim, but the wind/hail percentage deductible could be anywhere from 1%-5% depending on your policy and what you chose when you set it up based on how much premium you wanted to pay. The percentage deductible overrides the standard deductible and is based on the amount of your building coverage on your house, not based on the amount of the claim. (i.e. if you have a $200,000 house and have a 2% deductible, you have a $4000 deductible for wind/hail only) The companies do this because of the frequency of wind/hail events in TX, OK, KS, etc...

Also, as was said, if you haven't had much claim history and file a claim for hail damage, it is very very very likely the insurance company won't even give it a second thought. So no worries there either...

Otherwise, IM me if you have any questions. I will be glad to answer anything you have or help in any way I can.

I'm CAT Team also, but won't have full deployments for catastrophe duty until mid-October.

- BG

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Odds are:

- BG

and then cancel you.

- BG

I'm in the Houston area.

I had one roofing company (local) do an inspection and he did it while it was still wet out. He said he could see hail strikes but didn't elaberate on how many. He qouted me $10,000 for a new roof on my house which is a one story 2200 sqft. Sounds high to me. I had a nother contractor tell me I was looking at $5000 a year ago.

Should I get a few more contractors qoutes or call State Farm and ask for them to send an adjuster to take a look?

your right, my wind hail damage deductable is 2% ($3300).

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#17]
When Hurricane Isabel hit a few years back, it damaged the shingles on one side of my parents' house.  An adjuster came out, and surveyed the damage.  After seeing that there were shingles randomly missing in a number of spots, he agreed that insurance would pay to replace the back half only.  No pro rating, not nothing.  Insurance cut a check, and my folks got the entire roof replaced.  This was Farm Bureau Insurance, and it came at a time where they were overwhelmed with claims from a major storm.  Different companies and different times will have different responses to your damage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top