Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2010 5:25:05 PM EDT
I pulled my cast iron skillet from the electrolysis bucket and wiped it down with a paper towel, which turned black instantly. Is this blackening caused by the metal itself or oil/rust from the skillet?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Magnets?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:27:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I pulled my cast iron skillet from the electrolysis bucket and wiped it down with a paper towel, which turned black instantly. Is this blackening caused by the metal itself or oil/rust from the skillet?

why did you have your cookware in the electrolysis bucket again?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:29:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Never did electrolysis to cast iron....I'm at a loss.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:31:09 PM EDT
[#4]
FYI you don't clean iron skillets. wipe and put away.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#5]
It is probably seasoning that was either applied at the factory or acquired through use.

It will definitely rust pretty quick now that you have removed all protection. My recommendation is to  coat the entire thing in crisco (a light coat, it doesn't need to be caked on) and place in a 500 deg. oven for 2 or 3 hours. Place aluminum foil in the bottom of the oven to catch any drippings. Allow the cast iron to cool only until you can touch it (should be pretty warm) and then start the process again. The second (or even more) time is the charm as the warm cast iron has "open" pores which allows the crisco to soak in. Really rough cast iron may require 3 or 4 coats. CAUTION: THERE IS SOME ODOR INVOLVED IN THIS PROCESS - DO IT WITH THE WINDOWS OPEN.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:33:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

This.

As long as it is seasoned nothing sticks to it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:38:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wanted to re-season it so I tried putting it in a plastic bag and oven cleaner for a week. When i removed it I noticed some rust and the towels were turning black so I decided to try electrolysis.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:39:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:41:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wanted to re-season it so I tried putting it in a plastic bag and oven cleaner for a week. When i removed it I noticed some rust and the towels were turning black so I decided to try electrolysis.

My favorite pan I own was my Great Grandmothers...An easy 100 years old. May be older than that. It's never been cleaned or reseasoned to my knowledge... some of the best food I cook comes out of that pan.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For the future:

To re-season, wash with soapy water and scrubby pad if pan is in decent shape. Grease it up and burn the crap out of it a few times.

If pan isn't in good shape, use steel wool or sandpaper to smooth it out, then follow above procedure.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#11]
throw it away- its ruined- no, i am serious.

probably toxic from the oven cleaner
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:46:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Agreed,, I have two iron skillets over 50 yrs old,, never been washed and nothing will stick to them. Cook, rinse in plain water, wipe clean.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#13]
oh my never use cleaners on your cast iron cookware
if a skillet gets too much build up on it, I have heard of people building a big fire outside and putting the pan directly in the fire and it burns it all off.

to re season, just coat it with a light coat of lard and put it in the oven or just use it and it will build back up.

but I never use even dish soap on my cast iron as the pores can absorb the soap and then your food can taste funny
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:55:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is the skillet damaged from being enclosed with oven cleaner?
If the skillet was mine, I'd build a fire on top of it to burn off any chemical residue. Use good, clean wood only. The next day remove from ashes and scrub good in soapy water with a scouring pad. Then re-season in oven.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#15]
If anyone is interested, here's what I did with the oven cleaner. http://blackirondude.blogspot.com/2009/01/easy-cast-iron-skillet-reconditioning.html After opening the bag, I found a lot of rust so washed it off and threw it in a tub of lye to soak for a week. Rinsed it again and coated it with oil to prevent further rusting till today when i put it in the electrolysis. For what it's worth, this was my first piece of cast iron but have another one that I haven't managed to screw up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top