[#1]
No.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope.

IBT1611ers.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:46:27 PM EDT
[#3]
No moreso that Christmas (a pagan holiday)
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:47:00 PM EDT
[#4]
um......no.

My church's adult singles group has a Halloween party every year for crying out loud.

We rarely have someone dress up as a demon and the women don't dress as sluts, but we still have a Halloween party.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

No moreso that Christmas (a pagan holiday)
As is Easter....

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes.  Satan's day of tricking and treating to cause cavities and promote slutty costumes.  

Mmmmmm candy and sluts.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:47:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I think this will not end well.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#8]
The church my mother took me to when I was a child forbid the celebration of Halloween. That may or may not be what led me to Deism.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes....and no.

roy d...it depends on which particular denomination you belong to. (BTW: mine is right and y'alls is wrong )
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:51:29 PM EDT
[#11]

I want my fucking candy!  I don't care what anyone thinks!

Who cares, let the kids have fun, and the adults.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:51:42 PM EDT
[#12]
How the Hell is national dress like a whore day going to upset the Christians?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:52:18 PM EDT
[#13]
My birthday is Halloween & I'm Catholic. I'll be damned if I'm not going to participate in the festivities that just happen to share the same day as my birth.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:53:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Speaking of Halloween....

24 rolls of toilet paper: check.

Cherry bombs: check

1/2 gallon of rum: check

Hot buttered rum mix: check

Candy: check

Taser for idiotic parents: check.

6 dozen eggs: check

I'm ready.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:53:45 PM EDT
[#15]
It's a Christian holiday.

The name "Halloween" began as "All Hallows Eve." This became "All Hallow E'en," leading to "Hallowe'en," or Halloween. It was the evening before All Hallows Day, which was later called All Saints' Day. (In this case, "hallows" meant "saints.")

All Saints' Day, a feast for all martyrs and saints, was celebrated on November 1st for the first time during the 8th century, but customs varied regarding its observance. This date was officially established for all Catholic churches in 837 by Pope Gregory IV.

Starting in the 10th century, this feast was the eve of All Souls' Day, which soon came to overshadow it.

Read more: www.infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/spot/halloween1.html#ixzz0ytY7FsCf
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Because of its Satanic  devil-worshipping undertones.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:54:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm ready.

I like your style Jethro.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I'm ready.

Sounds pretty Christian!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:56:54 PM EDT
[#19]
It's fine with my church. They do strongly suggest that you don't let your kids do anything to glorify satan, so dressing up like a devil or demon is bad. But firefighters, cowboys, or civil war soldiers are cool.

The holiday itself has moved beyond it's original meaning, it now represent kids getting candy and dressing up.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yes.  Satan's day of tricking and treating to cause cavities and promote slutty costumes.  

Mmmmmm candy and sluts.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:58:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Most of the Christian holidays weren't originally theirs in the first place so why should this one be any different?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:05:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

The name "Halloween" began as "All Hallows Eve." This became "All Hallow E'en," leading to "Hallowe'en," or Halloween. It was the evening before All Hallows Day, which was later called All Saints' Day. (In this case, "hallows" meant "saints.")

All Saints' Day, a feast for all martyrs and saints, was celebrated on November 1st for the first time during the 8th century, but customs varied regarding its observance. This date was officially established for all Catholic churches in 837 by Pope Gregory IV.

Starting in the 10th century, this feast was the eve of All Souls' Day, which soon came to overshadow it.

Read more: www.infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/spot/halloween1.html#ixzz0ytY7FsCf

Yeah, you conveniently left out the pagan celtic end of summer celebration.  Dressing up in costumes was to ward off evil spirits and part of this tradition.  Jack-o-lanterns are also part of this tradition.  Everyone is free to do what they want, but do not pretend that it is a christian holiday.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yeah, you conveniently left out the pagan celtic end of summer celebration.  Dressing up in costumes was to ward off evil spirits and part of this tradition.  Jack-o-lanterns are also part of this tradition.  Everyone is free to do what they want, but do not pretend that it is a christian holiday.  

Christmas is based on various pre-Christian winter festivals. Don't pretend that it is a Christian holiday.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Christmas is based on various pre-Christian winter festivals. Don't pretend that it is a Christian holiday.

You thought that was going to get to me, but you miscalculated because I am well aware of that and agree with your statement, though you meant it sarcastically.  

ETA: As I said before, you are free to do what you want, but do not pretend that the days are anythng but pagan holidays that were hijacked by Catholicism to accommodate converts with these traditions.  Also, I find your defensiveness interesting.  I simply pointed out historical fact.  Why you would take such personal offense at that is curious.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#25]
We celebrate fall harvest at church
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:18:02 PM EDT
[#26]
I think it's fine. Unfortunately my mother though otherwise when I was young enough. I'm not bitter. Really.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:45:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

as many do in western illinois
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#28]
i fail to see where morality should become a factor less you are committing evil in your celebration, costumes and candy are not evil.

if you think its wrong because some say its a hijacked pagan holiday, consider that technically so is christmas as we know it, according to what i can find the 25th december festival predates christianity and is a winter solstice festival observed even in roman times, the church coopted it, whatever the true birth date of christ, because it was already popular.

In fact they likely started the coopting with subtle toasts and cheers to the christ, and gradually hijacked it thereafter.

So...if halloween is wrong due to pagan roots then so is christmas....
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:59:10 PM EDT
[#29]
The Catholic grade school I went to always had Halloween parties. Those memories are part of the reason why I love Halloween to this day.

You can have my Halloween when you pry the candy corn from my cold, dead hands.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Who gives a fuck where the holiday ORIGINATED from. What is important is what it has become NOW.... A way to get together with other kids to have fun and play dress up. For the adults its a way to check out slutty costumes and get away with it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#31]
People dressing up in costumes and passing around candy/having a good time.

Not this topic again...
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:09:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Yes, whatever you do, don't "observe" Halloween.

The devil might git ya...

People actually worry about stuff like this?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Actually, i would say that most "anti-halloween" evangelical crap is mostly really anti-catholic in nature and not anything to do with "devil worship".
Catholic schools are always closed on Nov 1st because of all saints day. So that means you can throw shaving cream till 3 am and not have to get up the next day to go to school. Each Catholic country celebrates it differently, the one we inherited is Irish in nature. The Mexican one is basically the same but its done AFTER all saints day as opposed to before.
Here is a creepy but halloween cool thing from "day of the dead"

AY CHIHUAHUA!!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't see why it would be a problem, its a great time to get free candy and have haloween parties where the girls are dressed like skanks and i get to drink other peoples beer
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:12:30 PM EDT
[#35]
No more so than it is for Christians to participate in the pagan rituals and overt consumerism surrounding Christmas.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
i fail to see where morality should become a factor less you are committing evil in your celebration

So...is it okay to smear myself with the blood of virgins in the nude under the moon on Halloween, or not? I'm kind of confused.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

A veritable coven of pagans you all are

At east with Halloween you can dress up and try to scare off the demons who are preparing to eat the sun over the winter.  Then you can observe the winter solstice to ward off cabin fever and celebrate  that shit can't get any darker.  Oh, Oh the dark is good for shagging to stay warm too.  Ever wonder why so many babies are born in September?  And then you can rejoice that the world has come back to life in teh spring with bunnies and Cadburys eggs and enthusiastic recreational shagging.  Gods I do love being a heathen!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:21:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Most of the hate comes from certain Evangelical sects from what I have seen.  It is becoming more mainstream for some churches and around here at least, all schools, to just avoid the confusion and call it a Harvest Festival.  Which, to me, sounds more Druidic than Halloween anyway.

We Mormons have a trunk or treat right up in the Church parking lot and everyone calls it Halloween.  I've never personally worshiped a god other than God the Father, and I don't make any exceptions one night a year in Autumn.  If Christians spent less time bickering amongst themselves about stuff like this and more time helping others, spreading the Gospel, praying and studying Scripture this country and this world would be a much better place.  And yes, I see the hypocrisy in my statement.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:21:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:24:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
No more so than it is for Christians to participate in the pagan rituals and overt consumerism surrounding Christmas.

However, Christians are constantly reminded of the "real reason" for the holiday, so in a sense they aren't participating in the consumerism, or shouldn't be.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

It's a lot easier to convert people into your religion when you steal their holidays and festive parties.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a lot easier to convert people into your religion when you steal their holidays and festive parties.

Or perhaps the new converts wanted to fuse their traditional holidays with the Christian ones.  A lot of people voluntarily became Christians back then, you know.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:06:36 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or perhaps the new converts wanted to fuse their traditional holidays with the Christian ones.  A lot of people voluntarily became Christians back then, you know.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:08:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Because they didn't see any difference in swapping one god for another. As long as they had their holidays, even if they had a new label, they didn't care.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:21:42 AM EDT
[#45]
No, because the church turned it in to a holiday way back. November 1st is the day you pray for the saints, so the church made the day before the day you would pray for the dead. Mexico is really into this you know.

eta: dam im slow. someone beat me way back there and had a quote.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:31:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
what say you arfcom... is it wrong?

Absolutely.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:36:47 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm not a huge fan of Halloween, and, frankly, not a huge fan of Christmas, but have learned that my objections cause more harm than good, so while we avoid Halloween (I'll be in CO hunting this year anyway.....not many trick-or-treaters come to tents in the mountains) I just bite my tongue on Christmas. Haven't had a tree in years, wife wants one this year, she'll probably get it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:38:39 AM EDT
[#48]
if your celebrating the demonic gods, yes.

if you letting your kid have a good time, no.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:07:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
i fail to see where morality should become a factor less you are committing evil in your celebration

So...is it okay to smear myself with the blood of virgins in the nude under the moon on Halloween, or not? I'm kind of confused.

Well, use the blood of sluts and you are fine. At least that was how I was raised.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:19:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because of its Satanic  devil-worshipping undertones.

Man I love Arfcom, I'll not talk about how "Halloween" was brought over to this country because I don't care to type that much but....

As a Christian am I not allowed to watch Rosemary's Baby because of it's Satanic undertones?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top