Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2010 2:20:13 PM EDT
google maps

-21° 48' 49.31", +114° 9' 46.54"

, zoom out if you get phillipeens, see green arrow, just north of Exmouth AU.

Do I need more tin foil???
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:23:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Tower Zero, Harold E. Holt Naval Communication Station
ground level pictures

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#2]
looks like 9th ave and 2nd st intersection in the Phillipines to me.  Fucking mind blowing find!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:23:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
google maps

The corner of 9th and 2nd is not to be spoken of, hide your dog
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Crop circles in Australia?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Possum.

I have no fucking idea. Your coordinates go to a commercial district near Caloocan City, Philippines. Looks like a bunch of low-rise buildings.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#6]
WTF is this shit?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:29:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

ground level pictures
http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/7000684.jpg
http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/11593735.jpg

sweet, we were wondering it it was some sort of "contact" type secret military base.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:29:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
google maps

The corner of 9th and 2nd is not to be spoken of, hide your dog

I'd still like to know what it is that he is actually talking about though.

nevermind.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Signal jammers.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:29:55 PM EDT
[#10]
for those having issues...

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:30:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No, tinfoil is exactly what they expect you to use.  That facility is designed to track tinfoil across the world.  This is the first known case where a legitimate titanium helmet is required.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:31:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Possum.

I have no fucking idea. Your coordinates go to a commercial district near Caloocan City, Philippines. Looks like a bunch of low-rise buildings.

Yep...

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:32:10 PM EDT
[#13]

why do the rest of us get directed to a slum in the phillipines when we input that mark?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ground level pictures

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/7000684.jpg

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/11593735.jpg

sweet, we were wondering it it was some sort of "contact" type secret military base.

when you're looking at stuff on google earth often there are these little icons nearby that if you click on them they tell you what it is and give you pictures...  That's how I got the above.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:33:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Hexagon.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:33:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#17]
its just the hydro level from team fortress 2
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:35:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

why do the rest of us get directed to a slum in the phillipines when we input that mark?

Google has read your mind, and since it's in the gutter..........

j/k

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:39:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I don't know... I tried entering it without the - on the front figuring it was a copy and paste error... but that take you to the ocean off China.

How did you enter it?  and where? (as in Google maps online or Google Earth on your computer)

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:40:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's not recognizing the minus sign in the coordinates so it's showing the location in the Northern Hemisphere?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:44:39 PM EDT
[#21]
First post win!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:45:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Are you using google earth or google maps?  I used earth and it worked fine.

Probably a syntax issue.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:11:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you using google earth or google maps?  I used earth and it worked fine.

Probably a syntax issue.

I just tried it in maps... yep looks like it's a glitch in Google Maps.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:18:36 PM EDT
[#24]
-21° 48' 52.03", +114° 10' 07.54"
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:21:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Naval Communication Station Harold E. Holt

Naval Communication Station Harold E. Holt is located on the North West coast of Australia, 6 km north of Exmouth, Western Australia. This town was built to service the station.

The station was commissioned on September 16, 1967. On September 20, 1968, the station was officially renamed to U.S. Naval Communication Station Harold E. Holt in memory of the late Harold Holt, former Prime Minister of Australia, who died three months after the station was commissioned.

The station provides very low frequency (VLF) radio transmission to United States Navy and Royal Australian Navy ships and submarines in the western Pacific Ocean and eastern Indian Ocean. It is with a transmission power of 1000 kilowatts the most powerful transmission station on the Southern hemisphere. The station is also suspected of being a part of the US signals intelligence and analysis network ECHELON.

The station features thirteen tall radio towers. The tallest tower is called Tower Zero and is 387 metres tall, making it (at the time it was built) the tallest man-made structure in the Southern Hemisphere. Six towers are evenly placed in a circle around Tower Zero. The other six towers are evenly placed in a larger circle around Tower Zero. All these towers are 364 metres tall.

During July 2002, the Australian Navy handed over operation of the station to the Defence Materiel Organisation.

The base is run under contract by Boeing Australia, Ltd.

there you go.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:08:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Naval Communication Station Harold E. Holt

Naval Communication Station Harold E. Holt is located on the North West coast of Australia, 6 km north of Exmouth, Western Australia. This town was built to service the station.

The station was commissioned on September 16, 1967. On September 20, 1968, the station was officially renamed to U.S. Naval Communication Station Harold E. Holt in memory of the late Harold Holt, former Prime Minister of Australia, who died three months after the station was commissioned.

The station provides very low frequency (VLF) radio transmission to United States Navy and Royal Australian Navy ships and submarines in the western Pacific Ocean and eastern Indian Ocean. It is with a transmission power of 1000 kilowatts the most powerful transmission station on the Southern hemisphere. The station is also suspected of being a part of the US signals intelligence and analysis network ECHELON.

The station features thirteen tall radio towers. The tallest tower is called Tower Zero and is 387 metres tall, making it (at the time it was built) the tallest man-made structure in the Southern Hemisphere. Six towers are evenly placed in a circle around Tower Zero. The other six towers are evenly placed in a larger circle around Tower Zero. All these towers are 364 metres tall.

During July 2002, the Australian Navy handed over operation of the station to the Defence Materiel Organisation.

The base is run under contract by Boeing Australia, Ltd.

there you go.
Yup...does a bit more, but that's a pretty darn good description.  It ain't the only site in the world either.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top