Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2010 1:37:24 PM EDT
So I dropped off my banjo at the music shop to get new strings and the head replaced about 2 months ago, and they said the work should be done in 3 days.  I called them 3 days later, lo and behold it wasn't finished.  OK, no big deal, I thought.  The person I spoke to said that they would call when it was finished.   I never heard back from them, and forgot about it.  Fast forward to today, when a co worker and I are talking about Ricky Skaggs, and I remember about the music shop.  I look all over the place for the ticket, and can't find it, so I call them.  I give the woman my name and she says she'll look for it.  A few minutes go by when some dude picks up the phone and tells me I need the ticket, otherwise there's no way they'll give it to me even though they have my name, address, and phone number on file.  I can't show my ID and pick it up.  So I'm apparently out a $300 banjo.  But here's where things seemed a bit odd to me.  He seemed evasive, and it also seemed like his confidence went up once I "fell for it".  My bullshit detectors went off the charts.   I think they either sold it or one of the employees took it home after it sat for a while.

So let me ask-is something like this normal?  All I want is to pay for the work and get my property back.  If not, where to?  Lawyer up?  Call the cops?  I hate to invite the man into my life, but if I have to call them I will.  I'm fairly certain this would be a civil matter but I'm not 100%, and if it is, I don't want to waste the po-po's valuable time.  I was thinking about going up there and asking to see it just to make sure it was physically there.  I don't want to shoot myself in the foot for later, though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:41:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to the shop.  Be nice.  Ask for your banjo.  If they don't have it, firmly request an explanation.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:42:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd let them know I'll be by the next day to pick it up.  If they can't make that happen, then let them know you'll be bringing the police when you show up.
ETA:  ..AND tell them your wife/girlfriend/mom just called and said she'd found the ticket (don't give them anything other than that).

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:52:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'd let them know I'll be by the next day to pick it up.  If they can't make that happen, then let them know you'll be bringing the police when you show up.

ETA:  ..AND tell them your wife/girlfriend/mom just called and said she'd found the ticket (don't give them anything other than that).

Why should I tell them that I have the ticket?  I don't.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:53:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why should I tell them that I have the ticket?  I don't.

to see if they change their tune....
If they call you on it again, ask them where the banjo is, and again tell them your on your way to get it now.  See the dancing begin.
If they call you on it the last time- say "fine, I will be down with the police to file a report"  see where that goes.  If they call BS, then bring the po-po down and file a report.  nothing may happen, but it will be a stain on them, dont forget the BBB

I cant stand when people fuck with MY shit.  dont care if you forgot it or not, they should have called SEVERAL times.
Any of you homos touchs my shit....
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:57:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Send a request in writing via certified mail. If they don't produce the banjo or offer fair market value for it sue them in small claims court. Do you have proof that you gave them a banjo and they did not give it back?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#6]
You're getting jerked around. If they have your name, addy, etc. on file and associated with the banjo and you can provide government-issued ID that matches what they have on file, then they need to get you your property back with a quickness.

Unfortunately, small claims court may be your only recourse. You may get lucky but the police will likely say it's a civil matter and that you're on your own.

Bring a witness or two with you when you go in to pick up your item/confront them.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:20:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, I'm gonna go up there tomorrow after work.  I'm not sure about calling them, if it was an employee that took it home then they could have it back by then.

ETA all I really want is my instrument back but it would be nice to know if someone did take it home...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top