Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/7/2010 11:23:53 AM EDT
But OJ gets to keep his.  Bush got a new suit for the ceremony and a free place to stay for his family.

Bush

Former University of Southern California (USC) running back Reggie Bush will be stripped of his 2005 Heisman Trophy this month, according to a report Tuesday.

Bush would become the first player in the 75-year history of the award to receive the dramatic penalty.

College sports governing body the NCAA found major violations in the USC football program in June, resulting in sanctions.

Two sources close to the Heisman Trophy Trust told Yahoo! Sports that their investigation was coming to a close and would concur with the NCAA’s ruling that Bush was ineligible in 2005.

Sources said the honor for that season will remain vacant. Texas quarterback Vince Young finished second in the voting, but Bush had a huge advantage (784 to 79) in first-place votes.

Bush reportedly met with Heisman representatives last month, though details of that meeting are unknown.

In July, the college's administration announced USC would return its copy of Bush’s Heisman to the trust.

The status of USC’s 2004 Bowl Championship Series (BCS) title remains to be determined. BCS officials are awaiting the NCAA’s ruling on the Trojans’ appeal of the NCAA sanctions.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:24:49 AM EDT
[#1]
More NCAA stupidity.

Ranks right up there with vacating wins.

Stupid.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:26:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Un-fucking-believable.

Reggie should melt his Heisman down and make a few necklaces out of it.  When they ask where it is, tell them, "OJ stole it..."
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:27:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Vacating wins is dumb, but that has never stopped them

Quoted:
More NCAA stupidity.

Stupid.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:28:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Typical lousy Fox News reporting.  Not once did they mention why he got it taken away.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
More NCAA stupidity.

Stupid.

oh come on.  You gotta pay the price for your screw ups.  Bama came back just fine.  Dont worry USC will too.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:29:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Pete Carroll jumped ship at the right time
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:30:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

More NCAA stupidity.

Stupid.

The NCAA isn't stripping him of it, the Heisman trust is.  Personally, I don't like cheaters.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
More NCAA stupidity.

Stupid.

Well to be fair to the NCAA, this is the Heisman Club executive committee.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:31:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
More NCAA stupidity.

Stupid.

The NCAA isn't stripping him of it, the Heisman trust is.  Personally, I don't like cheaters.

Get out of my mind soonerboy.......

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:32:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:32:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm sure millions of dollars, a Superbowl ring, and an Adidas advertising contract will console him.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:33:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Bush's Fault!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:34:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Typical lousy Fox News reporting.  Not once did they mention why he got it taken away.

He received improper benefits.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
More NCAA stupidity.

Stupid.

I agree that it is the Trust who is taking the action in this case but it is simply following the NCAA lead, IMO.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, I know.  But you would think the reporter would have included that little tidbit in the story.  I am no journalist, but I recall the first rule of writing is "assume the reader knows nothing about what you are writing about."   Fox neglects this all the time.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:38:55 AM EDT
[#16]
That is an interesting step the the Heisman group.  I wonder what else we will see in the future.  

It appears that a lot of the games many of us enjoy are severely tainted.  Paying athletes isn't the solution though.  It would just justify the taking of money in the past and into the future.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

More NCAA stupidity.

Stupid.

i think you misunderstand the definition of "cheater"

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:39:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
More NCAA stupidity.

Stupid.

How exactly did he cheat during a game?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:39:24 AM EDT
[#19]

fuck those self important cocksucker's and fuck the NCAA with an aids covered crowbar

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:41:30 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

That is an interesting step the the Heisman group.  I wonder what else we will see in the future.  

It appears that a lot of the games many of us enjoy are severely tainted.  Paying athletes isn't the solution though.  It would just justify the taking of money in the past and into the future.

All College games (or teams) need a Taint-Meter rating™ to show the perception of sports fans and/or insiders, like writers and boosters.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:41:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Bush's Fault!

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:42:50 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm a little late, but what exactly did he do to get it taken away?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:43:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Bush got a new suit for the ceremony and a free place to stay for his family.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:44:00 AM EDT
[#24]
I don't agree with him losing the Heisman due to the fact that his parents getting a free house and money doesn't exactly help him on the field.  What he did on the field is why he won his Heisman.

Oh well losing the trophy doesn't take away from his performance.  Same goes for taking USC's wins away, they still won those games on the field.  Taking away wins and championships doesn't make a lot of sense to me as does taking away scholarships since that doesn't hurt Bush or Carrol but it does hurt the young guys trying to make a name for themselves and get an education.  

Not saying they should't be punished but there has to be a better way.

BTW I'm sure Bush will be ok with his millions he has left.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

More NCAA stupidity.

Stupid.

I think you may misunderstand the definition.  Violating the rules deliberately is cheating.  He knew taking benefits was a violation of rules and did it anyway.  What sucks is the kids who didn't cheat have to pay the price right along side him.  Self important bastard.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:44:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
More NCAA stupidity.

Stupid.

oh come on.  You gotta pay the price for your screw ups.  Bama came back just fine.  Dont worry USC will too.

It has 0 effect

I don't care who the team is.

I would even protest it if they took wins from y'all.

It is stupid.

The games were won on the field.

Bush won the Heisman on the field.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:44:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
More NCAA stupidity.

Stupid.

Did Bush break the rules when he took extra benefits?  If so, he is a cheater.  College athletics is a place for amateurs.  When you start getting impermissible benefits, you fore go your eligibility.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Bush's Fault!

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:45:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, I know.  But you would think the reporter would have included that little tidbit in the story.  I am no journalist, but I recall the first rule of writing is "assume the reader knows nothing about what you are writing about."   Fox neglects this all the time.

Fox is a terrible journalistic organization. It's really no different than CNN, just the bias is the other way most of the time.

I keep hoping Murdoch will send over some WSJ reporters to clean it up. Fox has potential, but they always seem sloppy.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:46:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

Pete Carroll had been allowing (and looking the other way) all sorts of NCAA violations for years and years at USC, and knew that all the investigations were finally catching up with him.

all the while giving speeches to his players about doing the right thing...
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:46:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
More NCAA stupidity.

Stupid.

Did Bush break the rules when he took extra benefits?  If so, he is a cheater.  College athletics is a place for amateurs.  When you start getting permissible benefits, you fore go your eligibility.  

When you get caught getting impermissible benefits you may get punished retroactively after 3 or 4 years by the NCAA.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
More NCAA stupidity.

Stupid.

cheating my ass.  it's a bunch of rules imposed by a group of out of touch, extremely hypocritical, sanctimonious fucking scum.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#33]
in 3 years, when the economy has collapsed, will it mean jack shit?

nope

TXL
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:53:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
More NCAA stupidity.

Stupid.

Did Bush break the rules when he took extra benefits?  If so, he is a cheater.  College athletics is a place for amateurs.  When you start getting impermissible benefits, you fore go your eligibility.  

bullshit.  the only thing that's amateur are the rules for the players.  everything else is as professional as you can get.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:53:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

Pete Carroll had been allowing (and looking the other way) all sorts of NCAA violations for years and years at USC, and knew that all the investigations were finally catching up with him.

Not to bust your bubble, but this is the one and only investigation at USC under Carroll.  All centers on Bush and his family.  How was Pete to know that his family was getting money?  And Reggie had a new crappy American car, that Pete was some how suppose to know he was getting money?

Please.   Anyone here actually play a sport  for a major conference?   I did.  And the shit we did, that the coaches never knew about and had no way to know, is long and would probably get the school in trouble.

Hey, I know a guy who got a car from his uncle while playing...A NCAA violation.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:56:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Haha!

But, vacating wins is ridiculous.  In fact, the entire NCAA approach to violations doesn't accomplish a single thing because they do absolutely nothing to punish the athletes or the agents.  If they want to curb this kind of behavior, they'll start going after the agents and the athletes, not just the schools.  I guarantee you if they started imposing monetary sanctions on the players and the agents, there would be some real changes.  The fact they even go after schools is absurd.  Reality is, school's cannot control everything these kids do.  Now, I am not naive enough to think that they can just allow the universities to police themselves.  However, punishing a school long after the player is gone is crazy.  

Now, if the NFL (and NBA for this matter) would start hammering these kids for their violations, then you would see changes.  Make them ineligible in the pro's for the amount of time they violated NCAA rules, and you would get their attention.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Haha!

But, vacating wins is ridiculous.  In fact, the entire NCAA approach to violations doesn't accomplish a single thing because they do absolutely nothing to punish the athletes or the agents.  If they want to curb this kind of behavior, they'll start going after the agents and the athletes, not just the schools.  I guarantee you if they started imposing monetary sanctions on the players and the agents, there would be some real changes.  The fact they even go after schools is absurd.  Reality is, school's cannot control everything these kids do.  Now, I am not naive enough to think that they can just allow the universities to police themselves.  However, punishing a school long after the player is gone is crazy.  

Now, if the NFL (and NBA for this matter) would start hammering these kids for their violations, then you would see changes.  Make them ineligible in the pro's for the amount of time they violated NCAA rules, and you would get their attention.

What's the NCAA going to do to a player whose eligibility is up?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:58:00 AM EDT
[#38]
* tag
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#39]
My 'Ol Man went to Tulane in the late forties, early fifties.  He used to get $200 a week to wash one car of a booster.  He also had to give the booster his two tickets to the game.  I guess Tulane should vacate their SEC Championship in '49.

It's been happening that way in college football since the beginning.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#40]

It has nothing to do with what the NCAA would do, but what the NFL and NBA could do to help curb the problem.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bush got a new suit for the ceremony and a free place to stay for his family.

Bush received lavish gifts from two fledgling sports marketers hoping to
sign him. The men paid for everything from a new car, hotel stays and a rent-free
home
where Bush's family apparently lived to a limousine and a new suit
when he accepted his Heisman in New York in December 2005.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:04:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Haha!

The NCAA shouldn't even exist.

The major players in college sports should get together and make 64 of the biggest schools D1 ans put 8 teams in a division and they should all play and share TV revenue equaly.

Do a playoff and be dome with it.

It is not a regional sport. it is a national sport and it is FAR past the time that it is treated as such. They operate as if it were 1930 and the teams had to take buses to games.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It has nothing to do with what the NCAA would do, but what the NFL and NBA could do to help curb the problem.

Why would they care? College ball is their farm system.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:07:03 PM EDT
[#44]

The major players in college sports should get together and make 64 of the biggest schools D1 ans put 8 teams in a division and they should all play and share TV revenue equaly.

Never happen, the have's don't want to share with the have not's.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:08:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My 'Ol Man went to Tulane in the late forties, early fifties.  He used to get $200 a week to wash one car of a booster.  He also had to give the booster his two tickets to the game.  I guess Tulane should vacate their SEC Championship in '49.

It's been happening that way in college football since the beginning.

Doesnt make it right.  Doesnt mean everyone should just look the other way and let it happen.

Face it the Heisman org is a private org.  They have their rules and if you dont play by them then they can do whatever they want.  You guys all up in arms about this are showing a union-type mentality.  Yeah I do think they went a bit far for just a suit and hotel room but hey its their party.

The NCAA thing I do agree with 100%.  vacating titles, wins, etc, give up scholarships, no tv broadcasts, whatever.  Its part of why I love instant replay in football and despise the fact that baseball wont do it.  Auburn got bit in the early 90's and I was fine with it because they shouldnt have done what they did.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:11:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:13:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
in 3 years, when the economy has collapsed, will it mean jack shit?

nope

TXL

It doesn't mean jack shit right now either.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Haha!

You must have missed when SMU got the death penalty.

The schools are at fault when they are luring players with promises of under the table gifts. The NCAA is an amateur league, these players are gifted enough with a free education. Paying players goes back to the beginning of college football, before NCAA regulation, and "tramp" players would bounce from school to school playing for money.

Why would the NFL screw itself by caring what happened in a different league?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
More NCAA stupidity.

Stupid.

How exactly did he cheat during a game?

This is what I'm wondering.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:43:52 PM EDT
[#50]
I'll cry two extra tears for Reggie Bush tonight.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top