Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/7/2010 10:54:04 AM EDT
Can they make a paste or a pill that contains (minus water) every single vitamin/protein/carbs that a body needs to survive?  In other words, you could take this pill or shake or drink or whatever it is, for the rest of your life, and be perfectly healthy?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:55:41 AM EDT
[#1]
No.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:57:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Humans are omnivores for a reason.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:57:41 AM EDT
[#3]
In theory, yes, but you would still need to consume roughage and calories in order to keep muscles from atrophy.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:00:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, absolutely.

There is already TPN, total parenteral nutrition, which is intravenous, and tube feeding, which is essentially a narrow gauge tube inserted into the stomach and intestine for delivery of nutritients.

Small step to make it in a pill form, and it would by necessity be multiple pills or capsules, but it is doable.

edit to add: muscles atrophy is from dis-use, not nutrition.  And roughage is not needed in a natural form, fiber can be delivered easily enough through the tube/ paste/ pill.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:01:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Tastee Wheat
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:01:58 AM EDT
[#6]
It would be a hell of a lot more efficient and therefore possibly the way of the future.

Don't be giving them any ideas.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:04:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It would be a hell of a lot more efficient and therefore possibly the way of the future.

Well, the thing is, I eat to survive.  Not because I like to eat.  The whole eating thing annoys me.  Cooking wastes time, cleanup wastes time, shopping wastes time.

For me, I would much MUCH prefer taking my morning "Life Shake" and be done with it until tomorrow.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:04:35 AM EDT
[#8]
yes, it's called Mountain Dew.  it's all you will ever need.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Physically yes.
Psychologically doubtful.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:07:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I couldn't do it. I like eating, I like cooking. It's a gathering of family and friends.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:10:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, the thing is, I eat to survive.  Not because I like to eat.  The whole eating thing annoys me.  Cooking wastes time, cleanup wastes time, shopping wastes time.

For me, I would much MUCH prefer taking my morning "Life Shake" and be done with it until tomorrow.  

With all the frozen, processed, canned, and prepackaged crap out there, it is very easy to never cook your entire life beyond throwing a frozen dinner into a microwave.  You should have it made already.

I just can't understand people who do this on a regular basis.  I enjoy cooking, and I hate eating bad food.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:12:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

With all the frozen, processed, canned, and prepackaged crap out there, it is very easy to never cook your entire life beyond throwing a frozen dinner into a microwave.  You should have it made already.

I just can't understand people who do this on a regular basis.  I enjoy cooking, and I hate eating bad food.

I worked graveyard shift with a moonlighting five star restaurant chef at one time and all he ate was microwave cheeseburgers.  Very ironic.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:13:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm waiting for dehydrated beer.  Just add water and viola.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Can you launch an ICBM horizontally?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:16:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Pat's Backcountry Beer

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#16]

I got it in here first?  Seriously?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:25:34 AM EDT
[#17]
It's NOT the wave of the future, because there is absolutely no demand for it. You can pretty much survive on a diet of rice and beans for your entire life... but there is a reason why only the poorest of all people eat only rice and beans.

BTW, if you really mean it when you say you find eating to be a nuisance... why don't you just eat the cheapest, bare minimum, foods there are? Your food budget for a month should be less than $100/mo...
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:27:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's NOT the wave of the future, because there is absolutely no demand for it. You can pretty much survive on a diet of rice and beans for your entire life... but there is a reason why only the poorest of all people eat only rice and beans.

BTW, if you really mean it when you say you find eating to be a nuisance... why don't you just eat the cheapest, bare minimum, foods there are? Your food budget for a month should be less than $100/mo...

I 100% do eat the easiest.  Have my entire life.  But that's not necessarily the cheapest.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:28:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Oddly enough, I was wondering this the other day, if one could survive on vitamins alone.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I 100% do eat the easiest.  Have my entire life.  But that's not necessarily the cheapest.

So your issue isn't the cost... but rather the time spent preparing?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:31:25 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, the thing is, I eat to survive. Not because I like to eat. The whole eating thing annoys me. Cooking wastes time, cleanup wastes time, shopping wastes time.

other than pizza and game i feel pretty much the same way.  I like to eat what i kill. Other than that id rather have a shake or something.  I don't really care about anything but not being hungry when i eat.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:33:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

So your issue isn't the cost... but rather the time spent preparing?  

Prep, cleanup, shopping, and time wasted eating.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Well, I lived for quite a while in college on what seemed like nothing but beer, cigarettes, and multivitamins.

If you call that living.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Tastee Wheat

awesome.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:42:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Can they make a paste or a pill that contains (minus water) every single vitamin/protein/carbs that a body needs to survive?  In other words, you could take this pill or shake or drink or whatever it is, for the rest of your life, and be perfectly healthy?

That is a TERRIFIC idea.  By eliminating the bulk of all of the healthy food, I could leave more room in my stomach for stuff that tastes good!

On a more serious note, that would be awfully cool.  Eliminate food stamps, and just hand out the pills.  There you go!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Oddly enough, I was wondering this the other day, if one could survive on vitamins alone.

Don't forget about those pesky calories.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Nasa or the military have undoubtedly worked on it. Psychologically it isn't a good idea.  physically, it would be impossible to condense enough calories into a single pill.  also, many phytochemicals are not fully understood.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:46:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Weird thread is weird.

Why do you not enjoy eating?  My God a thick juicy steak and some form of potatoes, crablegs, waffles-n-bacon, ice cream.  The list goes on.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:46:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pat's Backcountry Beer

BS flag.

Not possible.

They're claiming that the beer is actually brewed and fermented with a minimal amount of water.  It's not possible to get over around 25%ABV using natural fermentation.  Even then, only BBC (Utopias) does it, and it's wicked expensive.  Reasonably, you could get to 16-18%ABV, which would be a 2-to-1 dilution rate to get to standard 5-6% beer.  A craft 16%-er will cost around 40-50 cents per ounce, which makes a "concentrated beer" cost around $2 (for 4 ounces, which is then diluted to 12).

If that's the product direction, I would expect it to be underattenuated and with a significant amount of fermentation byproducts in it.  Diluting it would actually make many of these "flaws" quite apparent, since it would dull the alcohol taste.  Why do I say that when there are plenty of good 16% craft beers out there?  Because the market would be small and they're probably going to contract brew it.  That creates a hit on quality and when you take a quality hit at 16%, that's what happens to the beer.

But that's just a prediction.  I would be happy to try it.  I would be happy to pay for one if it ever shows up at a local store.  But until then, I remain highly skeptical that it's even remotely similar to "real beer."
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:55:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Weird thread is weird.

Why do you not enjoy eating?  My God a thick juicy steak and some form of potatoes, crablegs, waffles-n-bacon, ice cream.  The list goes on.  

I enjoy a good meal once and a while, no doubt.  But it's kind of like cigarettes.  When I used to smoke, maybe 3 out of the pack of 20 I actually enjoyed.  The rest was because I "had" to.  That's pretty similar to how I look at eating.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:57:44 AM EDT
[#32]
sounds like itd go great with a side of bacon...

food is one of the few things i enjoy in life.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

No. You would starve just as quickly on a diet of vitamins as you would from eating nothing at all. There are only 3 nutrients which provide energy to the human body: fat, protein, and carbohydrates.

Regarding the OP's question; it could be done but it would be about a pound worth of pills (which would probably be hundreds of them, assuming pills of swallowable size) just to get ~2000 calories a day (USDA minimum recommended daily allowance).

75 grams protein (300 calories)
300 grams carbohydrates (1200 calories)
66 grams fat (594 calories)

441 grams total (2094 calories) = 15 1/2 ounces.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Fat/carb/protein shake with a daily multivitamin thrown in...   For the man on the go.   If it came in vacuum sealed bags and had a shelflife of 5-10 years I would buy a metric shit-tonne.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:15:03 PM EDT
[#35]
We drink a lot of "green smoothies".  It's made with blended spinach and fruit in about equal proportion.  Blending the food maximizes the absorption of the nutrients.  

Extremely fast and very energizing.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:15:53 PM EDT
[#36]
DT
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#37]
No.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:22:05 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Can you launch an ICBM horizontally?

Sure.  Why would you want to?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:38:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

If you added water, bacon, beef, beer, and pig products in there I don't see why not.  Oh yeah taters too.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:16:31 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. You would starve just as quickly on a diet of vitamins as you would from eating nothing at all. There are only 3 nutrients which provide energy to the human body: fat, protein, and carbohydrates.

Regarding the OP's question; it could be done but it would be about a pound worth of pills (which would probably be hundreds of them, assuming pills of swallowable size) just to get ~2000 calories a day (USDA minimum recommended daily allowance).

1 cup of olive oil is about 2000 calories.  You could just chug that.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:20:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pat's Backcountry Beer

That's gotta taste nasty after being diluted with iodized water.  

Bourbon for the win!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:26:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You forgot alcohol!  7 cals per gram, and it makes women look more beautiful to boot!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:28:14 PM EDT
[#44]
It's called a potato.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:39:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

1 cup of olive oil is about 2000 calories.  You could just chug that.  

Yeah, pure fat would be the lightest way to get 2000 calories (would weigh about 1/2 pound), because fat has over twice the calories per gram as carbohydrates or protein, but you can't live long off just fat (malnutrition would soon be a problem). With something more balanced like in my example above, plus a single multivitamin pill per day, you could probably be fine indefinitely (though you might want some fiber too). However, swallowing a few hundred pills a day is more of a hassle, and far less enjoyable than simply eating normal food.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Yes, it is called a "pan con lechon"

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:52:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You forgot alcohol!  7 cals per gram, and it makes women look more beautiful to boot!

Don't the girls all get prettier at closing time? Don't they all begin to look like movie stars?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:54:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Duh. Already exists. It's called Brawndo.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:31:24 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Duh. Already exists. It's called Brawndo.

It's got electrolytes!

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:55:29 AM EDT
[#50]

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top