Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2010 10:00:05 AM EDT
I don't really need it for milling, but set up and tear down is taking to much time for some of my projects.  It would be nice just to crank over to perform the next drilling action.

Edit: I guess what I need is an X-Y Table.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:04:15 AM EDT
[#1]
buy a milling machine
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:04:49 AM EDT
[#2]
What do you want to do
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:07:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Since you said it wasn't for milling, just drilling, you can look into a small x-y table and get a cheap set of clamps from Enco. The only problem is the ones that are cheap are not very accurate with respect to moving in so many thousandths per turn of the handle. If you only need it "close enough" (e.g. you can line up the drill bit with the mark for drilling), you can get an inexpensive one.

ETA

Here's a quick pick of my "cheap" setup that I use for drilling. Still have to clamp and unclamp the piece, but you can fine tune where you want the hole

Here's a link at enco (but i think you can find it cheaper) - note you also have to get the clamping blocks. I prefer the blocks as you have more versatility in positioning the work

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=201-2826&PMPXNO=951820&PARTPG=INLMK3
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:13:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I purchased a very nice machinists vise from sears.
2 axis, very 'tight', no wobble at all.
I have used end mills in drill press to make small parts, held size nicely.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:15:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Check CL etc for a used Bridgeport or some other brand knee mill. They are out there, deals can be found.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:20:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Check CL etc for a used Bridgeport or some other brand knee mill. They are out there, deals can be found.

Which is total overkill if you really need just a drill press and a milling table. Lots of people use a drill press to actually drill holes and the milling table to posistion what the want to drill.

Note I'm not advocating trying to mill on a drill press. I have both and on several occasions it's pretty handy to be able to posistion accurately if you have a series of holes to drill rather than go over and use the milling machine.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:48:28 AM EDT
[#7]
ETA: Bought a 'cheapie' at one of the large tool sales they hold at firehalls and such.
Was a complete POS!
You do get what you pay for, think the good one from sears was $80.00 or so.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

ETA: Bought a 'cheapie' at one of the large tool sales they hold at firehalls and such.

Was a complete POS!

You do get what you pay for, think the good one from sears was $80.00 or so.

I agree, but for what I needed it for, it fit the bill. If I need to do precision work, I use the mill

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:54:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top