Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2010 6:52:37 AM EDT
Im looking at new cameras to take with me duck hunting this year and want something along the rugged lines that have recently come out.

Im looking at the Stylus tough series.

Anybody recommend anything?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:37:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Sony DSC-TX5

Had the Olympus Tough 6000, worked as advertised but bulky....camera was recently lost & had to replace. Ended up going with the Sony DSC-TX5...best pocket camera I have ever owned, I can't recommend it enough.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:17:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1.  I use it around the lake.  It hasn't gone in the water yet, but it's safe up to 12' of water.

I can take regular pics or video.  It has an auto-power down of a few minutes that helps save the battery.  I did buy a second battery so I always have a charged one available.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:24:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Sony DSC-TX5

Had the Olympus Tough 6000, worked as advertised but bulky....camera was recently lost & had to replace. Ended up going with the Sony DSC-TX5...best pocket camera I have ever owned, I can't recommend it enough.

Just pick one up myself.  I haven't used it a lot yet, but the pics look great, and I lilke the touch screen.  It's about the size of a deck of cards and comes with a battery charger.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:25:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Tough 8010.  5x zoom, movie button, Ikelite makes a housing for it.  I used the earlier SW 1030 in an Ikelite housing while diving in Key Largo, Tavernier and Laudedale by the Sea this past summer and it worked great, as it always does.  It only has 3x zoom and doesn't have a movie button, those two are a big deal, I'll upgrade eventually.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:52:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sony DSC-TX5

Just pick one up myself.  I haven't used it a lot yet, but the pics look great, and I lilke the touch screen.  It's about the size of a deck of cards and comes with a battery charger.

That slider kind of scares me
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:52:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1.  I use it around the lake.  It hasn't gone in the water yet, but it's safe up to 12' of water.

I can take regular pics or video.  It has an auto-power down of a few minutes that helps save the battery.  I did buy a second battery so I always have a charged one available.

Thats the one Im looking now. Looks pretty rugged
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sony DSC-TX5

That slider kind of scares me

I researched extensively before buying a replacement camera, read the pro & consumer reviews...there are tons out there & they all rave about the DSC-TX5...believe the hype. You would be making a HUGE mistake to not try one out before purchasing another model, it's honestly that good.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I had one of the Olympus ones and I wont ever buy another.  It got water inside it several times and would quit working until it dried out.  Finally it just flat out quit so I took it apart and discovered that their waterproofing was really half ass.  Many areas were plastic to plastic with a 1/2mm screw holding it together.  The part that had a gasket was poorly fitted.  I'm going to need another tough camera soon since Ive been spending so much time on the 4 wheeler.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Canon Powershot D10 and it's great.

Even comes with a camo cover in the accessory pack, which is seperate but worth it.

The lens is protected inside the camera shell.

Water, dust, shock and freeze proof, the accessory pack comes with all sorts of cords to secure it to yourself or gear.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I heard some iffy things about the Olympus models.

If I really wanted to do it right, I would get a Canon S95 (replacement for the S90) and Canon's underwater housing.

Firgure about $570 for the pair, housing is due out in a few weeks.

http://www.adorama.com/ICAS95.html

http://www.adorama.com/ICAWPDC38.html

Nothing else is as bombproof / waterproof
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm interested also.
One thing that has kept me away from Olympus digitals is that they use a semi-proprietary 'XD' memory card, which costs more, is harder to find, is harder to find readers for, and doesn't work in anything else I have.  AFAICT only Fuji and Olympus use them.  (I don't know if they have gone to CF on newer models or not)

I have two older Olympus film cameras and love them (an XD (classic) and a Stylus zoom (rainproof, good enough for canoeing for me) but of course, they're film based which is so 20th century

If you carry it in a warm pocket then this won't be an issue, but some batteries get weak in cold weather.  The most reliable setup would use lithium disposable batteries (say, AA size) which work well at sub-zero temps.  Li-Ion aren't so good at low temps, so if the camera is rechargeable, make sure to 1. charge it the night before and 2. keep it in an inside pocket if it's freaking cold.

I personally like cameras that use off-the-shelf batteries rather than proprietary battery packs because I can find rechargeable AAs no problem and can always buy or carry a spare set instead of having a $30 spare camera battery.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:11:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Im looking at new cameras to take with me duck hunting this year and want something along the rugged lines that have recently come out.

Im looking at the Stylus tough series.

Anybody recommend anything?

Oh hell yeah I recommend it.  I bought mine this year just before my keys trip and will never buy another camera.  I take it on my boat, snorkeling, concerts and everywhere really.  The high def video on the Stylus tough 8010 is badass also.  

Here is a couple of pics from it.

The panorama is pretty cool too.

This one here is with the "Pop Art" setting on.

Here is a little video from the same camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9j0GYkr1So
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:37:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Sony DSC-TX5

+1

I love it. People always look at me all crazed when I am snapping pix and then jump in the water.

EDIT:  Also the optio w90 survived my brohams Afghanistan field trip.  Take a look at that as well.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top