Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:40:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Ant.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:41:33 AM EDT
[#5]
ant
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:41:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I say it like "ant".  I've noticed most white people say "ant" and most black people say "awnt".  No idea why.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:46:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I think all of you who pronounce it "ant" are weird, but I guess there are a lot of you.

Here is a map.

http://www4.uwm.edu/FLL/linguistics/dialect/staticmaps/q_1.html

"Ahnt"

"Ant"

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:54:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think all of you who pronounce it "ant" are weird, but I guess there are a lot of you.

I think you should ignore us and just keep saying it the way you say it. Makes you easier to pick out.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:06:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you should ignore us and just keep saying it the way you say it. Makes you easier to pick out.

Oh, don't worry about that.  I say wicked and use other New England colloquialisms often enough to make that not too difficult.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:08:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I say both.  

I have an Ant Janet and an Ahnt Lorraine.  Maybe I'm just weird.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:08:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:08:46 AM EDT
[#12]
ant/tante
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:19:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Come to think of it, I say both. It really depends on who I'm talking to, I guess. I was taught "awnt" though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:36:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:37:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Correctly.

How do you pronounce automatic? author? autism? audacity?

Why would you switch to "ant" when it's clearly "aunt".

Your "ant" probably worshed your clothes, eh?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:42:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Correctly.

It's called an idiom, and the English language is replete with them.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:42:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, don't worry about that.  I say wicked and use other New England colloquialisms often enough to make that not too difficult.  

How do you pronounce "yolk" as in the yellow stuff in an egg? We've got a yankee up at work and had this discussion the other day and I'd like to compare.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:44:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Actually, I pronounce it "ant", but when using it with a name, I say "ain't".

"ain't" Jane is my "ant".

Also, we smash the ain't to the name. Like "ain'tjane".

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:44:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:49:32 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

How do you pronounce "yolk" as in the yellow stuff in an egg? We've got a yankee up at work and had this discussion the other day and I'd like to compare.

I have always pronounced it "yok" (like folk or coke, but with a y).  How do you say it?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:08:48 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Soon is poll.

I pronounce it it as Tia "Tee Ah". I'm Spanish and my family is Cuban. We speak still speak spanish even though we all speak English perfectly. Why? Because Aunt sounds like a bug.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:10:10 AM EDT
[#22]
ain't
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:15:14 AM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:15:40 AM EDT
[#24]
ant
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:22:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Hormiga

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:24:02 AM EDT
[#26]
The U is silent.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:25:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
A dictionary is your friend:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/aunt?&qsrc=

Did you even click the thing that says it for you?

ETA: Reading on... they used a whole lot of words to say what we already know:

—Pronunciation note
The usual vowel of aunt  in the United States is the /æ/ Show Spelled[a] Show IPA  of rant  except in New England and eastern Virginia, where it is commonly the “New England broad a, ” a vowel similar to French /a/[a]  and having a quality between the /æ/[a]  of hat  and the /ɑ/[ah]  of car.  The vowel /ɑ/[ah]  itself is also used. In New England and eastern Virginia /ɑ/[ah]  or the /a/[a]-like sound occur in aunt  in the speech of all social groups, even where a “broad a ” is not used in words like dance  and laugh.  Elsewhere, the “broader” a  is chiefly an educated pronunciation, fostered by the schools with only partial success (“Your relative isn't an insect, is she?”), and is sometimes regarded as an affectation. Aunt  with the vowel of paint  is chiefly South Midland United States and is limited to folk speech.
The /æ/[a]  pronunciation of aunt  was brought to America before British English developed the /ɑ/[ah]  in such words as aunt, dance,  and laugh.  In American English, /ɑ/[ah]  is most common in the areas that maintained the closest cultural ties with England after the /ɑ/[ah]  pronunciation developed there in these words.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:29:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I say "yoke". Also say ant.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:29:28 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correctly.

It is the way Americans speak it. It's laziness. This is one area the Brits have us. They speak English properly (at least moreso than we).

They pronounce been as seen. Again is the same as gain ,as it should be. Boot, loot, foot and roof all have the proper oo sound as in boo.

The real problems come from words of different origins and therefore different pronuciations. We homeschool. It becomes blatently how mess up English is when you are trying to teach a first grader that "comb" and "tomb" while looking just alike actually sound differently. But why daddy? Just because....

Since when is "just because" an acceptable answer. 2+2+4 "just because?"

For the record, I also pronounce the "L" in yolk, folk, polk. I say woLf not woof. I also can't stand when people leave out the "L" in old, cold, bold. You're making different words, there. Ode, code, bode.

Another ( that aggrevates me) is idiots who pronounce "ing" as "een" . Skying becomse skeen which is a sheaf of yarn, not an activity on a snowy slope.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:29:40 AM EDT
[#30]
I say "awnt" but refer to my aunts as "Ant-ee".  My wife likes to highlight the anomaly.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:31:54 AM EDT
[#31]
I pronounce it correctly.

"Awnt".

My female relatives are not insects.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:33:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Around here, only blacks use awnt.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:37:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Ant

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:57:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Correctly.

It is the way Americans speak it. It's laziness. This is one area the Brits have us. They speak English properly (at least moreso than we).

They pronounce been as seen. Again is the same as gain ,as it should be. Boot, loot, foot and roof all have the proper oo sound as in boo.

The real problems come from words of different origins and therefore different pronuciations. We homeschool. It becomes blatently how mess up English is when you are trying to teach a first grader that "comb" and "tomb" while looking just alike actually sound differently. But why daddy? Just because....

Since when is "just because" an acceptable answer. 2+2+4 "just because?"

For the record, I also pronounce the "L" in yolk, folk, polk. I say woLf not woof. I also can't stand when people leave out the "L" in old, cold, bold. You're making different words, there. Ode, code, bode.

Another ( that aggrevates me) is idiots who pronounce "ing" as "een" . Skying becomse skeen which is a sheaf of yarn, not an activity on a snowy slope.

You don't speak or spell very well.

Brits don't speak English well, either. You may think they pronounce words more phonetically or "correctly," but they drop articles all the time. To an American speaker, they sound like uneducated children with all their "I go to university" or "We just brought my mother to hospital."

"Just because" also isn't the answer. There are etymological reasons that explain why we pronounce words. American English has influences from all different languages, so that accounts for some of the seemingly inconsistent pronunciations. There are also regional differences that affect pronunciation, or word combinations that change pronunciation (think "an historical" versus "a historical"). Granted, those explanations might be above a first grader's level or interest, but the real answer isn't "Just because."

I say ant. Here, only black people and wealthy white people with an affected accent say ahnt.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:01:26 AM EDT
[#35]
"Ain't."  Same as in "far aints."

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:02:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Usually "ant" but occasionally "ain't" depending on the phase of the moon and the price of gold.

"Awnt" just sounds pretentious or British.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:03:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Zadda far ain't?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:45:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Like it's spelled.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:48:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Ant
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:49:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:49:31 AM EDT
[#41]
like the picture above
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:51:07 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I say "yoke". Also say ant.

Same

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:51:29 AM EDT
[#43]

I wonder who the idiot is in Pharump, NV that pronounces it "Ahnt"?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:52:19 AM EDT
[#44]
I always knew Beatrice, Nebraska was odd.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:53:17 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Around here, only blacks use awnt.

Same here

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:53:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Ant.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:53:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Ive only hear ant around here unless a black person is talking.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:55:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Correctly.

So, when you laugh, do you say, "Excuse me for loffing"?  Are you Ted Kennedy's fot oss relative?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:09:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Aun-TAY

Of course, I also say, "strenfs."
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:12:13 AM EDT
[#50]
I alternate between the two common pronunciations depending on how I'm using it.

I have two aunts (rhymes with font), and I have an Aunt Mel and an Ant Kathy (same as "ant")
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top