User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:30:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:41:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I miss them buggers...they are very vocal animals and lightning fast when striking!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:49:25 PM EDT
[#5]
No.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:56:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:03:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Not even close ....it's an east african venomous snake. Those look to be the eastern variety (the western have a rhino horn protrusion on the end of the nose).

ETA: fangs can be up to 2 inches long in a grown adult.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:08:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes they are eastern....like easterns colors more then west.

No there is absolutly no relation between boas/pythons and gaboon vipers...no boa or python is deadly in the sense of venom delivery:-)
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:18:05 AM EDT
[#9]

I've just got a ball python right now. Back home in texas I'd have whatever snakes I happened to come across outside. Bring them home, feed them, observe them for a while then set them loose. Used to catch copperheads, western diamondbacks, water moccasins, rat snakes, tree snakes, anything I could. Coolest snake I ever caught was a green tree snake. Damn thing could wrap just a few inches of its tail around my arm to get a firm grip and then straighten out the rest of his body like the branch of a tree or something. it was neat as hell. That was the only wild caught snake that didn't require any adjustment period, he took to being "captive" like he'd been doing it all his life. Perhaps he was owned at one point and then released, who knows.

I'd like to get a coral snake to see what they're all about. Haven't found any around here yet although I hear they do live in these parts.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:23:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I've just got a ball python right now. Back home in texas I'd have whatever snakes I happened to come across outside. Bring them home, feed them, observe them for a while then set them loose. Used to catch copperheads, western diamondbacks, water moccasins, rat snakes, tree snakes, anything I could. Coolest snake I ever caught was a green tree snake. Damn thing could wrap just a few inches of its tail around my arm to get a firm grip and then straighten out the rest of his body like the branch of a tree or something. it was neat as hell. That was the only wild caught snake that didn't require any adjustment period, he took to being "captive" like he'd been doing it all his life. Perhaps he was owned at one point and then released, who knows.

I'd like to get a coral snake to see what they're all about. Haven't found any around here yet although I hear they do live in these parts.

Problem with corals is they tend to only eat other snakes and lizards so finding food can be tuff unless you have tons of anoles.   I wish I could have some copperheads but I don't like the idea of having them here in Philly where it's illegal:-(
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:07:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:08:22 AM EDT
[#12]
no ;o)
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:27:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Funny seeing grown men scared of such creatures!    Y'all are funny lol.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:43:29 AM EDT
[#14]
We have a corn snake, nothing exciting.

Why is that gaboon so short?  Is it a juvenile?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:56:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Get a dog.Much better friends,and on the rare chance they bite you don't die.(for the guy who brings home strays)
We don't have rattlers or any venomous snakes in this area of Ohio(woohoo) but if we did I certainly would not bring them home to play.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:11:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Where's Retic at????
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:09:20 AM EDT
[#18]
I've got a beutiful Black Racer living in my backyard under a palm who I make a point of not disturbing (I like having him around).
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:27:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I used to keep snakes but haven't for some years. My property is damn near crawling with Black Rat snakes as it is so I see enough of those to keep me interested. I see one every other week or so, almost stepped on a small one last week and my 2 year old started yelling "snake daddy!" and I saw it
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:54:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You think that's something? Bring out a spider!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:09:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Wait, so you have venomous snakes?  What is the point?  You get bit = possibility of dying?

I don't get it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:14:03 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Wait, so you have venomous snakes?  What is the point?  You get bit = possibility of dying?

I don't get it.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:15:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:16:13 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Where's Retic at????
Hi

You've all seen most of the pics I've taken of my venomous. Some day I'll take pics of some mambas and spitting cobras, but pics are hard to get with the venomous  so I have only shown a part of my collection.

Not to high jack but I have been meaning to put these up. This is just a small sample of what I have going on right now and ball pythons have only started hatching. I never used to take pics but you guys always seem interested. So here are new pics.

Blood python

Purple albino reticulated python

Albino boas. Males on the left females on the right.

Albinos and Hets

Normals and Hypos

Lemon Blast and Super Blast ball pythons.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:17:28 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You think that's something? Bring out a spider!
I made this pic just for Arfcom.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:19:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I don't get it.

Wait, so you have a deadly gun?  What is the point?  You get shot = possibility of dying?

Yeah, I know, not really the same thing.  Still, some people just keep what they like.  It's not a macho thing, usually.  I had a friend that was really into gray-banded kingsnakes and loved the little mottled rock rattlesnakes we found with them in the same areas, so he started to keep and breed them as well.  Before that he was really into eyelash vipers.

As for me, I am a simple guy.  I used to breed native Texas colubrids, my favorites being trans-Pecos ratsnakes.  After getting married, having less time for snakes, having less money for snakes, I got out completely.  However, this Father's Day my kids gave me a corn snake that I dearly love.  She is quite the cutie.  I am satisfied with that for now.  Not even looking to breed, just enjoying her.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:21:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Ok excuse my response but WHY THE &*^% WOULD YOU WANT A VENOMOUS SNAKE AS A PET?!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:22:28 AM EDT
[#28]
I loved my Gaboon- had a whole slew of hot stuff: Egyptian cobra, monocle cobra, forest cobra, Gaboon viper, puff adder, trans-pecos copperhead, mojave rattler, pygmy rattlers, golden eyelash viper, western diamondback, eastern copperhead and a bunch of non-venomous.

When I moved in with the wife (before we were married) I made a deal that if anything got out they would be gone. Had them for another 3 years then broke a cardinal rule and left the door to the snake room open (it was a sealed room). The Egyptian got off the hook, booked down the corridor and disappeared into the living room. After 5 hours my other friend into hot snakes and I found her wrapped around the springs in the couch (we heard her "huffing" when we moved the couch. Finally got her extricated and back in the cage.

A week later they were all sold off
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:32:58 AM EDT
[#29]
I couldn't even consider owning a venomous snake, but I'm fascinated by those who do, and love hearing the stories and seeing the pics.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:33:07 AM EDT
[#30]
A couple of snakes....

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:33:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ok excuse my response but WHY THE &*^% WOULD YOU WANT A VENOMOUS SNAKE AS A PET?!

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:34:14 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Please don't turn this into a snake bashing thread.

I personally have never owned a venomous reptile I considered a "pet". I do not sell them to people that think they are "pets". I do not pick on people for being afraid of snakes and I would hope that people could understand my passion for reptiles. I can't speak for the OP but I have my animals out of a genuine interest in them. I don't have them for the  the thrill. Quite frankly there is not thrill or adrenaline rush when you have been at it as long as I have. I just like snakes the way anyone else likes their hobby of choice. I follow the law and am permitted to keep them.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:37:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:40:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I personally have never owned a venomous reptile I considered a "pet". I do not sell them to people that think they are "pets". I do not pick on people for being afraid of snakes and I would hope that people could understand my passion for reptiles. I can't speak for the OP but I have my animals out of a genuine interest in them. I don't have them for the  the thrill. Quite frankly there is not thrill or adrenaline rush when you have been at it as long as I have. I just like snakes the way anyone else likes their hobby of choice. I follow the law and am permitted to keep them.

I'm curious about the first pic––it appears to my untrained eye to be a cobra loose on the ground––true?  What if it got away?  If this is correct, and it got away, you and I would not get along very well as neighbors.  

But it would be easy to find you though.........................just look for the guy on top of the table with a broom screaming like a little girl.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:40:32 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't let the haters drag down this thread like the one you were posting in a while back.

Ever been bitten by a venomous snake?

What's your procedure for getting one out of its cage?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:44:57 AM EDT
[#36]

Small Gaboons always look like primodial dwarfs....
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:45:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:49:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Did you have to get a $200 tax stamp on that Gaboon Viper?  

It looks like it was sawed off!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:52:20 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm curious about the first pic––it appears to my untrained eye to be a cobra loose on the ground––true?  What if it got away?  If this is correct, and it got away, you and I would not get along very well as neighbors.  

There is a lot you don't see in the pics. Like glass between me and the animal. That's why in my first post in this thread I said taking pics of the venomous is a pain. I have never had an escape of any kind.

I think we could make good neighbors. You could come over and use my range if you wanted, and I can honestly say my animals would never cause you any trouble.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:54:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:01:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Forgive the initial response.

I'm just a lil surprised as far as collecting venomous snakes. I think with the proper safety I bet it's a cool hobby. I just tend to be a lil wary around poisonous snakes as I've had a couple close calls with water mocassans....Very cool though

Again sorry for the first response.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:02:32 AM EDT
[#42]
always enjoy seeing a snake thread
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:04:16 AM EDT
[#43]
I prefer human females, but whatever floats your boat.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:06:51 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I prefer human females, but whatever floats your boat.

I think we all do. But you've gotta have something to do when they aren't around.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:07:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm just a lil surprised as far as collecting venomous snakes. I think with the proper safety I bet it's a cool hobby. I just tend to be a lil wary around poisonous snakes as I've had a couple close calls with water mocassans....Very cool though

If it helps, I've never met a soul who kept water moccasins.  Those things are very aggressive.  I am sure some folks do, but I never like handling overly aggressive species, even the non-venomous kind.  Coach whips come to mind as an aggressive breed that is "harmless" that I wouldn't wish on anyone.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:09:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:13:53 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it helps, I've never met a soul who kept water moccasins.  Those things are very aggressive.  I am sure some folks do, but I never like handling overly aggressive species, even the non-venomous kind.  Coach whips come to mind as an aggressive breed that is "harmless" that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Does anyone literally "handle" venomous snakes?  They use those steel rods with bent ends, right?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:15:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Does anyone literally "handle" venomous snakes?  They use those steel rods with bent ends, right?  

I know of a couple of churches who do.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:16:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:20:40 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I know of a couple of churches who do.

I mean in the sense that they become tame.  Our corn snake hasn't bitten since I first got him.  He was a baby and we got him via mail.  I opened the little container and he came out like a shot ready to fuck up anything he could find.  Couldn't break my skin.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top