Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2010 9:47:44 PM EDT
http://www.crashbang.co.nz/quake040910/index.html

56K?  Grab a drink... maybe a snack while you're at it.  Need to take a leak?  Probably got time for that too
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:24:40 PM EDT
[#1]
That looks like a lot of work to get things fixed.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:26:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Surveyers are going to make some dough.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:28:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Holy fuck.  Definition of.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:33:26 PM EDT
[#4]
WOW!  I would have shat a few bricks if I saw the land ripping itself apart like that.  I imagine you could see the waves move through the land  if you were out in the open.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:03:49 AM EDT
[#5]
While not nearly as bad, that reminded me of one of the last earthquakes in Seattle that I was in.  South Seattle is built on landfill, so when we had a quake years ago (must have been 7 years now), the landfill settled and the back of my company's warehouse litterally fell off the rest of the building.  This was a material handling company and we had pallet rack come down on top of one of our fork lifts, which took hours to excavate.  

The road in front of our building opened up and the widest gap in the street was about a foot.  Down in the international district bricks were falling off the buildings and hitting people.
I guess the good news is that Seattle is fairly strict when it comes to earthquake compliance when building structures...I guess NZ isn't so strict.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top