Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2010 8:11:59 PM EDT
After storing my firearms in closets, under beds, in night stands, etc. I finally purchased my first gun safe. I asked a locksmith what safe he recommended. No surprise, the ones he thought were the best were also priced accordingly. I then gave him my price range and he told me to look at a Liberty Centurion safe at Lowe's. I went to look at it and it was currently on sale so I bought it. Now all I have to do is find a couple gorillas to help me get it home.
20 Cu. Ft. Executive Safe

• Meets or exceeds the California Department of Justice
    standards for a firearm safety device under CA Penal Code section 12088,
    et seq.

• limited lifetime fire/break-in warranty

• 22 long gun capacity

• 12 gauge  steel body

• 1" thick composite fire door to resist prying and increase fire protection

• UL RSC rated 12-gauge box with triple hard plates to resist drill attacks

• Color: Gloss Black mar-resistant textured finish

• 30 min. certified fire rated with a 62000 BTU rating

• S&G combination lock

• 3-in-1 Interior

• 4 - 1" locking bolts

• 19.2 cu. ft.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_291281-10283-CN20-BK_0_?productId=3030862&Ntt=gun+safes&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=gun%20safes

PS. How many people use the rifle rods? http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1327

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:13:29 PM EDT
[#1]
nice! i need to upgrade to a fireproof safe as soon as we move out of our current "place"
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:15:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Good buy. It's often more cost effective to buy 2-3 modestly priced safes than one huge one. You can start there and buy another as needed. And if it's not too big you and a couple of friends can easily move it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:18:35 PM EDT
[#3]
how much you pick it up for?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:19:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought that same safe at Lowe's about three years ago, on sale for $299, from $399. (it was my second safe )
Quoted:

Quoted:

$647 + tax.

d'oh, yours is a bigger safe.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:19:09 PM EDT
[#5]
The locksmith I consulted with said he'd help me move it with his moving equipment so I should be all set. It weighs 450 lbs.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

$647 + tax.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:21:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I bought that same safe at Lowe's about three years ago, on sale for $299. (it was my second safe )  

Is yours the 20 cu ft model? They had a smaller one for under $400 but it was too small for me. I didn't want to worry about running out of space real soon. My wife liked the smaller one but in the end I won out for the larger one.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Just wait until you run out of room

Next is a room safe

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Just wait until you run out of room

Next is a room safe  

I used to work for a company installing home theaters in high end homes. I've seen a few room sized safes (re-enforced concrete walls & ceilings) with massive bank like doors. Not sure how much a setup like that would cost.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#10]
nice looking safe, I bought one from HD and I am out of space....smart to buy bigger
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:36:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I bought that same safe at Lowe's about three years ago, on sale for $299. (it was my second safe )  

Is yours the 20 cu ft model? They had a smaller one for under $400 but it was too small for me. I didn't want to worry about running out of space real soon. My wife liked the smaller one but in the end I won out for the larger one.

Hah! My wife talked me into a safe 2 sizes larger than the one I picked out. She said, "You don't want to run out of room do you?" It was a good thing too. Pistol gripped rifles take up a lot of room. And we have room for extras like her jewelery box and the family silver.

ETA: Congrats on getting a safe OP. I found it much easier to relax when on vacation.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:13:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Locate it so that the door opening is closest to a wall and then bolt it down really good.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:05:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Bolting it down is necessary, right? Otherwise, it could be rolled out?

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:09:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, a 450 pound safe I could strongarm out of a house by myself. If you don't bolt that fella down it's no better than a stack on cabinet.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:14:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

$647 + tax.

I actually have the same exact safe, and paid the same price.

I plan on buying the rifle rods to save some space. I currently have the pistol hangers and I like them so far.

The safe is fucking heavy. I thought me and my buddy could get it up the stairs ourselves, had to call a buddy over
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:21:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Locate it so that the door opening is closest to a wall and then bolt it down really good.

This.

Placement for the things is just about as important as having one to begin with.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:24:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Now get a goldenrod dehumidifier for it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:38:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Now get a goldenrod dehumidifier for it.

+1 I just picked up one the other day. The safe has a cutout in the back specifically for running wires
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:44:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Might want to watch this if you are not going to bolt it down. I might not buy their idea that you need a very high $ safe but it shows a weakness of some safes.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:21:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I plan on bolting it down to the concrete slab that's beneath the carpet in the room I'm putting it in.

Does anyone have experience with the Eva Dry cordless dehumidifiers?

http://www.eva-dry.com/

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top