Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2010 4:10:34 PM EDT
Link

(CNN) –– Two Montana teenagers texting in search of some marijuana got the wrong number. Seriously wrong. They wound up messaging the local sheriff, and he messaged right back.

"They were one number off," Louis and Clark County, Montana, Sheriff Leo Dutton told CNN. "Luck of the draw."

Dutton said the 15- and 16-year-old boys mistakenly sent him a text message on August 25 that read, "hey dawg, do you have 20 i can buy right now?" At first, Dutton said he "thought it was a joke" but decided to continue the conversation by replying, "how much we talking?"

"I need 20 right now do you have any?" the teens allegedly texted back, unaware that the person they were communicating with was the chief law enforcement officer in the area.

Dutton said he handed the case over to a narcotics officer who arranged to meet the two teens later that day. After the officer showed his badge to the teens, one of the boys "got white and his knees started wobbling," Dutton said.

Although the teens were on record with their pot purchasing attempt, the sheriff says they won't face any charges.

The parents of both of teens "took immediate action" which played a big part in the decision not to charge the two, Dutton said without offering specifics of the parental punishment.

"If your goal is to put someone into the system and not try to correct the behavior, it seems like you are fighting the tide," Dutton told CNN. "The parents were going to do more to change their behavior than a criminal record. Changing behavior and making this a better place is what we're all about."

"We all make mistakes," the sheriff added. "Hopefully they'll use it as a stepping block instead of a stumbling stone, and they'll be better off in life."

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#1]
dupe

also, why would someone have the sheriff's cell number in their phone?

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:14:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Couple of bright lights, those two.

Question: is it illegal to attempt to purchase pot?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:21:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
dupe

It wasn't a contact in his phone, he texted a new number and put in one wrong digit. I bet they'll be calling their dealer from now on.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:27:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

dupe

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Link

(CNN) –– Two Montana teenagers texting in search of some marijuana got the wrong number. Seriously wrong. They wound up messaging the local sheriff, and he messaged right back.

"They were one number off," Louis and Clark County, Montana, Sheriff Leo Dutton told CNN. "Luck of the draw."

Dutton said the 15- and 16-year-old boys mistakenly sent him a text message on August 25 that read, "hey dawg, do you have 20 i can buy right now?" At first, Dutton said he "thought it was a joke" but decided to continue the conversation by replying, "how much we talking?"

"I need 20 right now do you have any?" the teens allegedly texted back, unaware that the person they were communicating with was the chief law enforcement officer in the area.

Dutton said he handed the case over to a narcotics officer who arranged to meet the two teens later that day. After the officer showed his badge to the teens, one of the boys "got white and his knees started wobbling," Dutton said.

Although the teens were on record with their pot purchasing attempt, the sheriff says they won't face any charges.

The parents of both of teens "took immediate action" which played a big part in the decision not to charge the two, Dutton said without offering specifics of the parental punishment.

What would you suppose the punishment was...?

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:35:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Had that been me, at that age, I'd have PRAYED for the belt.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:43:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
dupe

Please read the 3rd sentence.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:44:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'd have prayed to and begged the officer to PLEASE take me in to protect me from my parents!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:45:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
dupe

It says the teens texted the wrong number.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

At that age I woulda prayed for protective custody
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:46:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like a sheriff with his head on right IMO
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Good actions by the police officers.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:48:17 PM EDT
[#13]

...."Hey dawg......"

Ha Ha Ha!!  
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:48:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Couple of bright lights, those two.

If possession is illegal than attempting to purchase it is also illegal.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:51:45 PM EDT
[#15]
The parents were going to do more to change their behavior than a criminal record.

I have a feeling it will take a while to buff out, whatever it is
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#16]

actually, i'm supprised he didn't grab some pot from the evidence room and make some $.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:06:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Glad to see the sheriff showed some discretion and allowed the parents to punish the idiots. Now, if you read between the lines the kids snitched on the drug dealer, because the cops knew they were only one digit off
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

dupe

It wasn't a contact in his phone, he texted a new number and put in one wrong digit. I bet they'll be calling their dealer from now on.
Wow, talk about bad luck.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:10:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Try to buy an unregistered sear, then argue that you broke no law since you never took possession.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:15:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

dupe

Please read the 3rd sentence.

Yeah I got it now. I took the Aimless' approach on that post (post random shit w/o reading the article).

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:21:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Whoops.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:29:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Actually my favorite part of this story is the response from the parents and the sheriff. Good community policing right there.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Good on that Sheriff.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:40:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Well atleast the parents are goign to do theri job instead of the typical "my baby didnt do nuffin"
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:05:13 AM EDT
[#25]
ENTRAPMENT!!!

This is clearly a case of entrapment in wich the poor innocent youngsters clearly HAD NO INTENTIONS WHATSOEVER TO BREAK ANY LAW!!!

Those kids were only triying to find someone to exchange videogames with.. it's JUST ABOUT VIDEOGAMES, they never talked about drugs!!!

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:10:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Sounds like some crap that my nephew would have pulled.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:12:17 AM EDT
[#27]

"got white and his knees started wobbling," Dutton said.
So if he TURNED white....

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:23:11 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

"got white and his knees started wobbling," Dutton said.
So if he TURNED white....

Hey hey, is there some racial profiling in there?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:53:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
dupe

Dupe fail, according to the ARFcom rules of dupage you must provide a link to said dupe.
ARFcom Book of rules, Chapter 4, Paragraphs 8, 9 and 15.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:03:11 AM EDT
[#30]
I worked in a mall many, many, many, years ago. The GNC next door had a kid trying to shoplift a big jug of protein powder one day. They got the cops and also called the kids mother. The mother walked into the store. The store manager said he wasn't going to press charges but the kid was not to enter the store again. The mother, with the cop there, started to beat the shit out of the kid. I mean, grabbed a fist full of hair with one had and swinging her purse with the other. She pulled him out of the store and down the length of the mall beating the crap out of the kid. I remember the cop saying that he should have arrested the kid to prevent the ass beating he was getting. The kid came back a few days later and apologized to the manager and paid for some other stuff he took and got away with. I  think that the parents had something to do with that.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:08:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Always make damn sure you know your weedman's number (and address too, showing up at the wrong house asking for weed is even worse)
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:18:19 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Now, if you read between the lines the kids snitched on the drug dealer, because the cops knew they were only one digit off

Astute observation.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:23:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Haha. This is in my hometown. The local paper has a slightly different article;

Helena Independent Record

A Helena teen sent out a text message last week looking to buy marijuana, only instead of texting the drug dealer, he hit a wrong number.

Who received it?

The Lewis and Clark County sheriff.

The text message said: “Hey Dawg, do you have a $20 I can buy right now?”

Sheriff Leo Dutton initially thought someone was playing a joke on him, but quickly realized it was a real request for a drug exchange.

“I’m thinking, ‘Hey this is odd,’ ” Dutton said. “I was looking around to see if there was someone outside my window playing a prank.”

He played along as if it were legitimate. “How much we talking?” Dutton replied to the teen.

The sender said he was close to the dealer’s house, so Dutton got the Missouri River Drug Task Force involved. A detective pretending to be the dealer agreed to meet the sender at a business at the north end of town at 6 p.m. last Wednesday, Dutton said.

Inside the business the detective spotted two male juveniles with an adult male. To ensure it was the right person, the detective called the number three times, Dutton said.

The detective called the teens over and showed them his badge. Dutton said the young boys turned white and their knees began to wobble. The group went outside to discuss the issue further and one of the teens passed out.

“Was it divine intervention or just bad luck?” Dutton said.

The adult male with the group turned out to be the father of one of the teens. He was a big, military-looking guy and he wasn’t happy, Dutton said. The drug detective got both of the teens’ parents involved and decided not to issue any citations.

“When the detective saw there were parents that wanted to be involved he took the right action and I’m really proud of the deputy,” Dutton said. “Trying to buy drugs is a crime, but it’s probably worse that they had to face their parents.”
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:28:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Haha, the sheriff had his own transposed error.

"We all make mistakes," the sheriff added. "Hopefully they'll use it as a stepping block stone instead of a stumbling stone block, and they'll be better off in life."
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:40:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
dupe

Seriously?  THAT exceeded your reading capabilities?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:45:13 AM EDT
[#36]
well, that's pretty damn funny, right there.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:46:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Link

"If your goal is to put someone into the system and not try to correct the behavior, it seems like you are fighting the tide," Dutton told CNN. "The parents were going to do more to change their behavior than a criminal record. Changing behavior and making this a better place is what we're all about."

"We all make mistakes," the sheriff added. "Hopefully they'll use it as a stepping block instead of a stumbling stone, and they'll be better off in life."

I think the sheriff did an outstanding job in this situation. Sounds like an overall great guy hopefully we can hear some more good things about him.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:15:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link

I think the sheriff did an outstanding job in this situation. Sounds like an overall great guy hopefully we can hear some more good things about him.

He's a good sheriff when it comes to doing his job, but politically, he's lacking. He testified in opposition to several pro-gun bills in our last legislative session (bills like the Montana Self-Defense Clarification and Expansion Act - it established a doctrine similar to castle doctrine & extended it to anywhere you are if you're not breaking a law. It also codified Open Carry). All the bills he testified against ended up passing, but he still needs to be replaced.

He's up for reelection in November and he's a Democrat. I think he'll lose. The Republican he's running against is a very experienced MT Highway Patrol Sergeant.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:21:19 AM EDT
[#39]
The dupe police have arrived!!    

First thread:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1086272

Second thread:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1086287

And yes, normally releasing the troubled teen to the parent is good, but why was the parent with the teen in the first place?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top