Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2010 3:35:52 PM EDT
Yep - stopped for speeding.  Last time, was twice in a week in West Texas.  This time, in Arizona on Hwy 60 in the mountains.  Driving a rental car, I was paying more attention to navigating the curves then to regulating my speed.  I came out of a sweeping curve and downhill, there was a passing lane for opposing traffic coming up the hill.  One of the cars going the opposite direction in the passing lane was AZ DPS.  I looked down at my speed and "shit!".  Almost 70.  AZ doesn't put up a speed limit sign every 400ft. without fail like WI does, in fact I saw looooooong stretches of road without any speed limit signs at all.  However, I reflexively hit the brakes and brought it down to 60.  DPS car didn't turn around, however at the crest of the next hill there were two more DPS and the guy in the SUV turned on his lights before I got to him, and pulled out right behind me.

Now, Hwy 60 in AZ doesn't have much of a shoulder.  Instead of being a dick and stopping half in the roadway, I slowed down to 40, turned on my hazard lights, and kept going about 1/4 mile until I found a place with enough room, then pulled a solid 10 feet off the roadway just beyond a rock outcropping.  Car off, window down, DL in my hand.

The officer was very cordial, asked me a couple questions about where I was going with a rental, etc.  Because I was working, I was wearing my typical khakis and dress shirt so no "dirtbag" vibes.  He asked to see the rental paperwork, I asked him if it was OK to dig in the glovebox before I just started making the famous "furtive movement".  

5 minutes later I was on my way with a written warning for 68 in a 55.

I'm NOT really an anti-cop dick and I know how to address your typical LEO who is just trying to do his job........I FIRMLY believe it when our LEO friends here tell us "most people write themselves tickets with their mouth".
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:38:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:38:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to work for a rental car company.  I got stopped a lot, as my company car was a rental.  It sucked, but I was polite gave them a business card with my DL, and it was quick and easy.  A lot of people run drugs in rentals.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:38:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool Story Bro!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:42:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yep - stopped for speeding.  Last time, was twice in a week in West Texas.  This time, in Arizona on Hwy 60 in the mountains.  Driving a rental car, I was paying more attention to navigating the curves then to regulating my speed.  I came out of a sweeping curve and downhill, there was a passing lane for opposing traffic coming up the hill.  One of the cars going the opposite direction in the passing lane was AZ DPS.  I looked down at my speed and "shit!".  Almost 70.  AZ doesn't put up a speed limit sign every 400ft. without fail like WI does, in fact I saw looooooong stretches of road without any speed limit signs at all.  However, I reflexively hit the brakes and brought it down to 60.  DPS car didn't turn around, however at the crest of the next hill there were two more DPS and the guy in the SUV turned on his lights before I got to him, and pulled out right behind me.

Now, Hwy 60 in AZ doesn't have much of a shoulder.  Instead of being a dick and stopping half in the roadway, I slowed down to 40, turned on my hazard lights, and kept going about 1/4 mile until I found a place with enough room, then pulled a solid 10 feet off the roadway just beyond a rock outcropping.  Car off, window down, DL in my hand.

The officer was very cordial, asked me a couple questions about where I was going with a rental, etc.  Because I was working, I was wearing my typical khakis and dress shirt so no "dirtbag" vibes.  He asked to see the rental paperwork, I asked him if it was OK to dig in the glovebox before I just started making the famous "furtive movement".  

5 minutes later I was on my way with a written warning for 68 in a 55.

I'm NOT really an anti-cop dick and I know how to address your typical LEO who is just trying to do his job........I FIRMLY believe it when our LEO friends here tell us "most people write themselves tickets with their mouth".

This is huge with me.  I can give warnings all day long to people who are respectful.  You give me bullshit and I give you ticket.  Very simple.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:42:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I never get stopped.

Oh wait...I got stopped a couple of months ago because a state trooper decided to inspect my vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Ahhh you must of been between Globe and Superior?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:47:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I never get stopped.

Oh wait...I got stopped a couple of months ago because a state trooper decided to inspect my vehicle.

Your avatar scares me, I used to have nightmares after seeing that movie,  then again I was under 10 years old and grew up behind a truckstop when that came out.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:50:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ahhh you must of been between Globe and Superior?

I can neither confirm, nor deny the exact location.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I appreciate people that are smart enough to get well off the roadway whenever they can. They are thinking about my safety, and get only a verbal warning, unless they are drunk, suspended/revoked, have warrants, or have contraband in plain sight.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:52:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I never get stopped.

Your avatar scares me, I used to have nightmares after seeing that movie,  then again I was under 10 years old and grew up behind a truckstop when that came out.

+1 on that movie. That truck in his avatar scared the shit out of me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#11]
last time I got pulled over [speeding]...the wife got a ticket....I got off with a "slow it down"

I had to pay that ticket anyway......
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I got off with a verbal warning for 70 in a 50 construction zone today.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:35:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I want to tell my cool/ funny cop story.  

I was working for the phone co. in Austin, tx, and a bar called in for a new phone line.  so I roll up to the bar (ginger man for those in Austin, I dont think its there anymore.. a condo now...)  and I pull on the door to go in.. door is unlocked but the alarm starts going off.  nobody at work, and the alarm is going off, so I think "shit, Im on security cam, the alarm is going off, bums are going to come inside and wreck the place if I leave, and I will get sued."  so I get ready to jump on the phone to call 911, when miraculously a cop car is rolling by.  so I put up my hand to try to get them to stop, and its a white guy driving and an asian guy in the passenger seat.  The asian guy is a little bit of a dick and waves at me like Im saying hi, and they keep driving on... so Im like "awesome, dickheads"  They decide to come see what I want, so they pull a U-turn on a one way street and ask me what the hell I want.  literally, like that.  I tell them whats going on, so they get out, draw their weapons and post me at the door and tell me to scream if anyone comes running out.  they yell "POLICE!  COME OUT WITH YOUR HANDS UP, OR WE WILL SHOOT"  just like in the movies.  then they go in and keep screaming.  They tell me to come in and they let me help them clear rooms, screaming goofy shit "COME OUT MOTHERFUCKER!  WE KNOW YOU ARE IN THERE."  They made me scream shit and they would kick open the bathroom door and run around. I couldnt think of shit, so I was like "COME OUT FAGGOTS!"  and they were like Then one went behind the bar to see if any of the taps worked.  They made fun of the prices of the beer, and started acting pretty cool.  I was pretty surprised and hung out for a minute,  then they were like "get the fuck out of here"    I think that they train cops to say that at the academy.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:37:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Every time I see your avatar I think of that famous shootout in the pit

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was paying more attention to navigating the curves then to regulating my speed.
If you don't have to countersteer, that's too fast slow.
Good job on no ticket.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:47:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I haven't been pulled over for speeding in seven years...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:21:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I want to tell my cool/ funny cop story.  

I was working for the phone co. in Austin, tx, and a bar called in for a new phone line.  so I roll up to the bar (ginger man for those in Austin, I dont think its there anymore.. a condo now...)  and I pull on the door to go in.. door is unlocked but the alarm starts going off.  nobody at work, and the alarm is going off, so I think "shit, Im on security cam, the alarm is going off, bums are going to come inside and wreck the place if I leave, and I will get sued."  so I get ready to jump on the phone to call 911, when miraculously a cop car is rolling by.  so I put up my hand to try to get them to stop, and its a white guy driving and an asian guy in the passenger seat.  The asian guy is a little bit of a dick and waves at me like Im saying hi, and they keep driving on... so Im like "awesome, dickheads"  They decide to come see what I want, so they pull a U-turn on a one way street and ask me what the hell I want.  literally, like that.  I tell them whats going on, so they get out, draw their weapons and post me at the door and tell me to scream if anyone comes running out.  they yell "POLICE!  COME OUT WITH YOUR HANDS UP, OR WE WILL SHOOT"  just like in the movies.  then they go in and keep screaming.  They tell me to come in and they let me help them clear rooms, screaming goofy shit "COME OUT MOTHERFUCKER!  WE KNOW YOU ARE IN THERE."  They made me scream shit and they would kick open the bathroom door and run around. I couldnt think of shit, so I was like "COME OUT FAGGOTS!"  and they were like Then one went behind the bar to see if any of the taps worked.  They made fun of the prices of the beer, and started acting pretty cool.  I was pretty surprised and hung out for a minute,  then they were like "get the fuck out of here"    I think that they train cops to say that at the academy.

the ginger man is still there.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:31:34 PM EDT
[#18]
AZDPS is typically very cool guys.  In fact, I've never had a bad run in with them.  Never received a ticket from them either, and I've been stopped 10 or so times over the years.  

Hell, one time I got a ride home in the back of a cruiser (~80 miles) after I totaled a rental car.

I can't say the same about Scottsdale PD.  I once got a ticket for 2 over from those pricks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top