Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2010 3:23:10 PM EDT
My one year old and I bought some fish for an old fish tank today. One is a puffer fish and the other a red cap fan tail. Name them, arfcom!

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:24:11 PM EDT
[#1]
If I could see them I would.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:24:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If I could see them I would.

Sorry crappy cell phone picture. I'll try to get a better one
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:26:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Tommorow when they are dead you can name them "Flushed"
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:26:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Worst dinner pic ever
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:26:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I see two: Frick and Frack.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:27:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Good luck with that puffer, it will eventually kill the other fish.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I can name the puffer KIA because he's going to need some salt in the aquarium.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Good luck with that puffer, it will eventually kill the other fish.

With a tank that small, it won't have to...they'll just die.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Fuzzy and cloudy....both good names for em
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:32:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Felix and Oscar!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Focus and Camera
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Really? The guy at the pet store said they were both fresh water. If he dies within three days there is a return policy
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:37:38 PM EDT
[#13]
There are fresh water puffers but they can be VERY aggressive.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:38:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Far left one is Fluffy for sure...got nuthin' for the other two as of now...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:50:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really? The guy at the pet store said they were both fresh water. If he dies within three days there is a return policy
A) Most pet store employees are completely ignorant about what they are selling.  It's just a job to them.

B) Did you cycle the tank?  If not your fishy's are dead...

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#16]
What?

No dikfer, henway, possum comments from the 80%ers?

You guys are slipping!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#17]
possumfish?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:58:55 PM EDT
[#18]
sushi and nemo
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
possumfish?

Youre late! (Getting your diaper changed?)
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:15:11 PM EDT
[#20]
That one is Bob, and that one is Bob's cousin Bob.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Steve and Steve.

why make things complicated?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#22]
name one: Dolpheeeeeen   and one  Whaaaaale.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:26:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Those are possum !
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A) Most pet store employees are completely ignorant about what they are selling.  It's just a job to them.

I agree. Those puffers like brackish water. They live in coastal mangrove swamps, IIRC.

And yeah, you need to cycle the tank first. You can do this with pure ammonia (no surfactants), or a dead shrimp.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:47:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Never name fish.
They don't live long enough.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:07:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There are fresh water puffers but they can be VERY aggressive.

When we were first married my wife set up a 55 gallon tank with 6 bumble bee puffers and a few othe fish.
I talked her into buying a couple of small fresh water crabs help keep the bottom of the tank clean and i thought they kinda cool.

Those crabs were in the tank for about 30 minutes when they caught the attention of the puffers.  They tore those crabs apart and ate them in nothing flat.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:07:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Bait.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:09:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  Puffers are brackish.  Uncycled tank means ammonia levels are going to spike hard in that small tank very soon and you will be looking at two floaters, though they could pull through, but they will have severely shortened life spans.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:10:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If it's a dwarf puffer then fresh water is fine. The one in the picture looks a little bigger than a dwarf so I would guess it's a figure 8, which would then need brackish water to survive.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:12:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Filet and Sticks
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. Those puffers like brackish water. They live in coastal mangrove swamps, IIRC.

And yeah, you need to cycle the tank first. You can do this with pure ammonia (no surfactants), or a dead shrimp.

Okay so what exactly do I need to do? Husband told me to ask you guys.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:11:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

First we need to know what kind of puffers you have so we can tell you what water conditions they need to survive. Next, to cycle the tank correctly, you will need an aquarium water test kit, along with some ammonia.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Take the fish back.  Cycle the tank.  I used to mod an Aquarium forum long ago.  Check one out and read the F.A.Q. documents for info on cycling as well sa how many fish you should keep in a tank.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:43:29 PM EDT
[#35]
I really hope this doesn't make me sound stupid. I really had no idea there was any difference ETA: sorry for the awful lighting. The tank light burnt out today

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#36]

You already got some decent advice regarding cycling the tank.

Just learn the nitrogen cycle. Ammonia > Nitrite > Nitrate. It is broken down by aerobic bacteria. First two are horrible, but the last one is tolerable to many fresh/brackish water fish. Puffers don't handle nitrates as well as most fish, either. They also like warmer water than your fantail. They can both be comfortable at the same pH, though. Bottom line is that is not a great combo.

I used to operate an aquarium shop years ago, took it from 800k a year to 2.4 mil/year gross, in 5 years. Didn't like my share of the profits and moved on. The shop finally, after gaining horrible reviews in spite of the makeover I gave it, closed earlier this year due to a "downturn in the economy." I honestly wish it was still there, I put a lot of work in that place, and I used to buy fish there when I was a kid..
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:41:59 PM EDT
[#37]
One fish, two fish.
Red fish, blue fish.

Sorry, best I can come up with. Long drive from San Antone today.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:06:05 PM EDT
[#38]
i see two fish that will be dead in a week, considering one of them is a brackish water puffer from a tropical ecosystem and the other is a cold water goldfish.  THIS is what happens when people don't know what they're doing at the aquarium store.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top