Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/6/2010 3:01:28 PM EDT
12 year old has downloaded a miley cyrus desktop,  It has slowed the her laptop waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy down. I can't get rid of it. I went in to find files in safe mode and deleted it. The sob still comes up when you reboot the computer. It  takes fucking forever to load up too, been 15 minutes and it still hasn't shown any icons yet just the 50 or so small pics of miley cyrus. I really do dislike that girl.      update ok here it is ! if I go into safe mode and look at display, on the desktop it has the file listed as miley-miley. When i move it to another desktop and click apply is shows it changed. When I reopen the display it always goes back to that file name. I did search and deleted every file with that name in it. I can't get it to go away from the list under desktop. All my anti-spy,anti-virus, anti-malware shows no infections.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:02:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Nuc it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:04:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Nuc it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

1st post nukes it!

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:05:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Start | Run | cmd <enter>

format c:

(don't really do this...or maybe you need to)
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:06:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Do the simple thing OP.

Do a system restore to a point before she downloaded/installed the background.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:07:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Another 9/45 cal debate.....
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#6]
If System Restore doesn't work then boot to Safe Mode with Networking (F8 as it's booting), then download, install, update and run Malwarebytes, run it and remove anything it finds.  Then install CCleaner and Smart Defrag and run them.  If it's not gone after that get back to us.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:14:19 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks to the one guy who tried to help to the others thanks for the smart assed answers
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:15:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I have booted in safe mode and run malwarebytes, avast, and super antispyware , it still came back
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:15:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

thanks to the one guy who tried to help to the others thanks for the smart assed answers

You've been around here long enough to know that GD is 90% wannabe comedians and that there's a computer subforum where the comedy is kept to a reasonable minimum.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:15:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Control panel, add/delete programs?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I have booted in safe mode and run malwarebytes, avast, and super antispyware , it still came back

Are you making sure you're updating Malwarebytes before running it?  And doing a full scan?

And system restore didn't work?

If all that's covered then you're either going to have to do a full recovery or you're going to have to take it to someone with the skill to manually remove it.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#12]
They've effectively virused your pc by making your daughter think it was MLCyrus.  The guys who do this should come to justice - its all about making you buy their anti-virus software so they can then scam your credit card.

I've seen similar things.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Control panel, add/delete programs?

Or look in Display properties and make sure a different one is selected?  I always assume that the basics are handled....with the typical disastrous results.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:20:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

They've effectively virused your pc by making your daughter think it was MLCyrus.  The guys who do this should come to justice - its all about making you buy their anti-virus software so they can then scam your credit card.

I've seen similar things.

Malwarebytes is very good at removing the rogue AV programs.  I've had to remove a couple manually, but not very often.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:24:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Miley Cyrus IS a virus.

Your kid didnt learn that in school?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:25:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Do the simple thing OP.

THIS!!!

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:26:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:27:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Pics!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:27:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do the simple thing OP.

THIS!!!

You guys do realize that this won't get rid of a real virus, right?  It may make the computer work well enough to install and run a malware removal tool, but most virii these days infects the restore files.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

My idea is looking better and better isn't it?

(I'm sorry bro, I sometimes use this place to blow off steam)

In all seriousness, If you can't get rid of it using Add/Remove Programs, Restore Points, Spybot S&D in conjuction with AdAware and McAfee (Norton can lick my balls), you'll need someone to get in there and do it manually.

I have my limits before I say 'fuck it' and just reinstall the OS.

Oh ya, talk to your 12 yo about her download habits.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:28:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Now I can't find the safe boot mode, It goes to the BIOS everytime.  I guess I'll have to take it to someone. Damn
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:30:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've removed people from arfkom before for giving bad "funny" advice that could damage someone's computer.....

Does this mean my days are numbered
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:30:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Now I can't find the safe boot mode, It goes to the BIOS everytime.  I guess I'll have to take it to someone. Damn

How do I wipe everything and start over? All it has it the 3 anti programs and a d-link card added now. I can re download all that.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#24]
try  malwarebytes    it gets rid of most shit

http://www.malwarebytes.org/
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:35:27 PM EDT
[#25]
After you restore, its not hard, download spybot,(free) scan computer,  make her another account w/o download rights. Name it whatever and give it a password she can use. Now add a password to the admin account that she does not know.  (she can still reboot the computer, but it will provide two logons, hers and yours. She can still download music, etc, but nothing else.

If, in the future, her account gets spy/malware, etc, reboot, signon as admin, delete her account  and give her another, it will delete the malware. She would lose doc's and favorites, etc, but better than her current situation, she can store school work on a thumbdrive which would need to be scanned if you are forced to delete her account.

I do this with my desk top computer that's just used for fun. It has no firewall, virius protection etc. Its lighting fast. If I pick up garbage, I delete the account and start a new one.  Always works.

I have a separate laptop that is used ONLY for banking/tax etc. Its never on unless banking is needed.

I am not an expert,, but works for me.....    (I think)

PS,, I hope you are watching her history,,, daily!        I don't have kids,, but if I did,, I would probable ban the internet.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:37:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You've been around here long enough to know that GD is 90% wannabe comedians and that there's a computer subforum where the comedy is kept to a reasonable minimum.

Lets just say I have been out of the country a few years..............
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:46:13 PM EDT
[#27]
If you want a fresh slate, find the Windows backup disc and boot from that.  Reformat the hard drive, and reinstall windows.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The 80%ers are out in force tonight!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Try pulling the BIOS battery,, wait a few minutes,,  reboot. You will have to reset time, date etc. Better than repair shop. Or trash it, used desk tops are cheap. Craigslist.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:51:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've removed people from arfkom before for giving bad "funny" advice that could damage someone's computer.....

You need to remove about 80%
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#31]
ok here it is ! if I go into safe mode and look at display, on the desktop it has the file  listed as miley-miley. When i move it to another desktop and click apply is shows it changed. When I reopen the display it always goes back to that file name. I did search and deleted every file with that name in it. I can't get it to go away from the list under desktop. All my anti-spy,anti-virus, anti-malware shows no infections.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:08:08 PM EDT
[#32]
btt
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
ok here it is ! if I go into safe mode and look at display, on the desktop it has the file  listed as miley-miley. When i move it to another desktop and click apply is shows it changed. When I reopen the display it always goes back to that file name. I did search and deleted every file with that name in it. I can't get it to go away from the list under desktop. All my anti-spy,anti-virus, anti-malware shows no infections.

Just out of curiosity, can you make another guest account?  how does it perform?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just out of curiosity, can you make another guest account?  how does it perform?

I'll try that
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:21:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Based on what you mentioned, I think you are at the point of needing to reformat the hard drive and start over. If this is a computer your 12 yo uses often, put a linux distro on it, something like Ubuntu.

It is very easy. Just give her the password to a limited account and this will NEVER happen again.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:23:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Don't you have the disk that came with the laptop?  Just put in in the drive and restart the laptop.  It should have step by step menus to wipe the hard disk and do a fresh install of windows.

Its the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:25:00 PM EDT
[#37]
OP, it is unclear, did you ever try a Restore to a date before she loaded it?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:26:05 PM EDT
[#38]
I checked under Admin and it doesn't showup. So i should just be able to delete the user account and it should go away. Now how do I delete the account named user?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Do the simple thing OP.

THIS!!!

You guys do realize that this won't get rid of a real virus, right?  It may make the computer work well enough to install and run a malware removal tool, but most virii these days infects the restore files.

Correct.

However if it is simply a resource hog, it may go away.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:38:45 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I checked under Admin and it doesn't showup. So i should just be able to delete the user account and it should go away. Now how do I delete the account named user?

The fact that removing the desktop picture and then it keeps coming back tells me that deleting the account will not fix the issue.

Your computer is clearly infected by some kind of virus/trojan or who knows what.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:40:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Another 9/45 cal debate.....

45 on this one for sure.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:44:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Seriously, just reinstall the operating system.  While you are at it, run a can of duster through the heat sinks and fan vents and it will run like it is brand new.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Boot in safe mode
Click start->run
type 'msconfig' no quotes
click the startup tab

uncheck everything, restart computer

then run your anti spyware/virus/uninstall it
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#44]
deleted the user account and rebooting now hope this works
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:45:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
12 year old has downloaded a miley cyrus desktop,  It has slowed the her laptop waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy down. I can't get rid of it. I went in to find files in safe mode and deleted it. The sob still comes up when you reboot the computer. It  takes fucking forever to load up too, been 15 minutes and it still hasn't shown any icons yet just the 50 or so small pics of miley cyrus. I really do dislike that girl.      update ok here it is ! if I go into safe mode and look at display, on the desktop it has the file listed as miley-miley. When i move it to another desktop and click apply is shows it changed. When I reopen the display it always goes back to that file name. I did search and deleted every file with that name in it. I can't get it to go away from the list under desktop. All my anti-spy,anti-virus, anti-malware shows no infections.

Nuke..........then explain to her if she didnt download crap like that she would still have all her files.....
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:54:02 PM EDT
[#46]

The virus has made changes to the anti-virus software in the registry.  I had a particularly bad one that took ages to remove because it would keep re-loading, exclude itself from antivirus and not let me go to the web.  Let me see if I can find that one...

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:17:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
deleted the user account and rebooting now hope this works

Well??????????????????      don't leave us hanging.

You posted the above at 8:45pm after you posted an update to the OP at 8:05

(Last Edit: Yesterday 8:05:34 PM EDT by snakeshooter1)
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:41:11 AM EDT
[#48]
If a desktop background is making the laptop run that slow, I think its time for a new computer.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:52:21 AM EDT
[#49]
You need an Exorcist, Miley Cyrus is da debbil.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#50]
ok here is the latest I deleted that user account. The miley desktop is gone but the damn thing still won't show any desktop icons. Doesn't ever comeup , only way I can do anything is in safe mode. I'm going to get a used one for her.  This one was a give me anyway, so don't have the windows cd to do a reinstall.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top