Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2010 2:55:48 PM EDT
I need a list of M16 makers during the Vietnam era. My Father served there, but he swears that his issue M16 said "General Tire" and not "General Motors". I didn't press the argument, but is he correct or just having a senior moment?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Colt

GM-Hydramatic

Harrington & Richardson
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:02:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:02:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Colt

GM-Hydramatic

Harrington & Richardson

These were the makers of the M16A1's that my reserve unit had in the early 90's until we were issued M16A2's

ETA: Our A2's were FN.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:03:07 PM EDT
[#4]
HYDRA-MATIC DIV.
     G.M. CORP.

Harrington Richardson

Colt

Those are the three that made M16A1 rifles for the Government.

FN-USA and COLT are the current contractors.HTH
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Matel, a customer at my store said he saw one in Desert Storm...........
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a GM-Hydramatic in basic training and a H&R in permanent party.  My H&R was brand new,  we only took them to qualify; and we used sub-caliber M-261 kits (.22 long rifle) because we had to shoot on an indoor range, using scaled targets.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I need a list of M16 makers during the Vietnam era. My Father served there, but he swears that his issue M16 said "General Tire" and not "General Motors". I didn't press the argument, but is he correct or just having a senior moment?

Sounds like a variant of "Made by Mattel". I grew up on Army bases during the seventies and eighties and ran across several career soldiers who swear that they carried rifles made by Mattel, they also swore that it was regular practice for them to use captured AK47 ammo in their Mattel M16, because they were made to use both. Sometimes it is best to just nod along and let it go.

This is supposed to be a photoshop.  If so it's a damn good one.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:20:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like a variant of "Made by Mattel". I grew up on Army bases during the seventies and eighties and ran across several career soldiers who swear that they carried rifles made by Mattel, they also swore that it was regular practice for them to use captured AK47 ammo in their Mattel M16, because they were made to use both. Sometimes it is best to just nod along and let it go.

http://a.imageshack.us/img704/8171/m16mattelm167391505.jpg

the margins around the "roll marks" are blurry. Thats the tip off for me. But what the hell do I know

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:29:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Its actually a pretty lousy photoshop

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:32:07 PM EDT
[#10]
It was done by a member here...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:36:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sometimes it is best to just nod along and let it go.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:37:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Gotta be real....every retired Ranger CSM I've met (and I've met a lot) talked about how they carried one in 'Nam.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:43:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats a pretty crappy chop and the person who made that is a member here lol

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You know how I know that shopped?

Because Mattel has NEVER made a M16.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotta be real....every retired Ranger CSM I've met (and I've met a lot) talked about how they carried one in 'Nam.

That picture is actually used quite often as proof!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got two Hydramatic one's in my armory at work. Kind of neat being 5 digit serials.  I know those things probably saw some action. funny that they've been relegated to service with the USCG.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:03:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Yep. Customer claimed to have been issued one in 2003. I wouldn't be surprised if the inspector at Mattel was named Lemonjello.........

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I think one or another toy company made plastic canteens.  Fischer Price maybe?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:14:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Colt
GM-Hydramatic
Harrington & Richardson

Off the cuff, I'm not sure about H&R......but I am pretty sure I had one in my hands at one time in `75 that said 'Cadillac-Gage'
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Colt

GM-Hydramatic

Harrington & Richardson

Off the cuff, I'm not sure about H&R......but I am pretty sure I had one in my hands at one time in `75 that said 'Cadillac-Gage'
H&R did make some.  Never heard of C-Gage making any.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:24:37 PM EDT
[#21]
SAKO made some replacement barrels.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Sako of Maine

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:58:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Colt

GM-Hydramatic

Harrington & Richardson

Google prevents "off the cuff" responses and in this case would have shown that you are wrong, H&R made several hundred thousand.  

The only thing I'm aware that CG made was Stoner 63 series.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:59:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sako of Maine

I think it's SACO, not Sako.  IIRC they made barrels for M60s and M2HBs also.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:04:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I heard the old Mattel bit for the first time this year when I did the Small Arms Firing school at Camp Perry.

The Sgt in charge of my firing point heard it too and said, fairly loudly in a Boston Accent: "That, IS,  BULLSHIT!"

I didn't have to say anything.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Oh yeah? Well that's my story.......and I'm sticking to it!

Damn know-it-alls.......no love!

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats a pretty crappy chop and the person who made that is a member here lol

I like the KFC one he did better.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#28]
I Had a GM Hydromatics one in Basic in 1985...

Aviator
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'd like to get one of my M16A1 clones done like that.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Hi there!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:14:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Don't know about M-16s but General Tire made a diverse set of stuff in all there divisions Including:

Space Shuttle Manuevering Rockets

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Just remember the one important thing here. All those rifles that had problems and not one of them was a Colt.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#34]
You know, that Mattell picture was funny a couple years ago, but now that its been passed around the internet enough without context, dumbasses are claiming it's a real photo and creating way more headaches than lulz.

Anyway, the correct answer has been said: Colt, GM Hydramatic, and Harrington & Richardson.

ETA pics

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Just remember the one important thing here. All those rifles that had problems and not one of them was a Colt.

Sorry but the early years Colt seen it's fair share of problems. Why do you think the forward assist was developed? What do you think the reasoning behind chrome chambers were?

I imagine your post was a joke, by the emoticon you put on there, but that is how things get started. Like the Mattel M16 for instance.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That picture is actually used quite often as proof!

Even Snopes knows........

Link

Whoa, the Mattel one at the bottom of the Snopes article looks like it fires a 30-06.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:33:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:32:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Here's the A1:

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:24:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Its actually a pretty lousy photoshop

I can tell by the pixils.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Colt
GM-Hydramatic
Harrington & Richardson

Yep...that's it during the time period. Not Mattel. Not General Tire.
Later FN came along. A few guys in my platoon were issued those, so I saw that with my own two eyes. Don't know of any other manufacturers, however.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:40:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep. Customer claimed to have been issued one in 2003. I wouldn't be surprised if the inspector at Mattel was named Lemonjello.........

i was issued a mattel m-16 in 1971,issueing agency,my parents ,deployment christmas 71,mission top secret
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:46:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Mattel's Firearm Division in El Segundo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top