Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2010 2:49:08 PM EDT
What is a fair deal on this rifle?  It is described to me as this: "Vietnam era Norinco SKS Sporter - stock 10rd magazine - 2 -detachable 30rd magazines - Flash Suppressor ( muzzle break) , Shell deflector , about 30 stripper clips , 2 Yugoslavian Ammo pouches - correct style  Vietnam Sling- several rounds of Ammo"

What is a fair deal, what is a good deal, what is a steal?

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:49:49 PM EDT
[#1]
No more than $300
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:51:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
No more than $300

+1
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:51:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
No more than $300

For an SKS?  I bought mine for under a hundred.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#4]
The Norincos have gone up in price recently. I'm seeing them hitting up around the $300 range.

Of course there will be an 80%er along in a minute who bought one 10 years ago for $80 so naturally one today cant be worth a dime more than that!

OOPS! Too late!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:52:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Norincos have gone up in price recently. I'm seeing them hitting up around the $300 range.

Of course there will be an 80%er along in a minute who bought one 10 years ago for $80 so naturally one today cant be worth a dime more than that!

That would be me...  I bought it ~5 years ago though.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh, and what is an 80%r
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
No more than $300

+1

+2
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:55:15 PM EDT
[#8]
The flash suppressor is not original..it is bubbafucked tapco crap.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:55:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

OOPS! Too late!

If I decide to make a deal with this guy, is there anything on the SKS that I should look for?  Something that would make it worth more or less?  Bubba-style stuff?  Any particular SKS-related thing that breaks/wears out?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:55:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No more than $300

+1

+2

+3
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

OOPS! Too late!

If I decide to make a deal with this guy, is there anything on the SKS that I should look for?  Something that would make it worth more or less?  Bubba-style stuff?  Any particular SKS-related thing that breaks/wears out?

It's a non Yugo SKS, which means it's pretty much GTG. The only "problem" with them is maintenance related––-keep the firing pin channel spotlessly clean.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:57:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Not sure what the "shell deflector" is..
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

OOPS! Too late!

The Norincos are considered to be higher quality and just slightly less desirable than a Russian

The base gun that he's offering looks good but all the added crap adds nothing to the value.

The hi cap mags are generally known to be shoddy and undependable not to mention illegal.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:59:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not sure what the "shell deflector" is..

The guy probably had one of those receiver cover scope mounts on it, so he put on a shell deflector to keep the empties from bouncing off the scope and back into the action.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:59:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I would say $250.  None of those accessories are worth having, and a Norinco SKS wasn't that awesome when they were $100.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:00:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OOPS! Too late!

The Norincos are considered to be higher quality and just slightly less desirable than a Russian

The base gun that he's offering looks good but all the added crap adds nothing to the value.

The hi cap mags are generally known to be shoddy and undependable not to mention illegal.

To clarify, yes illegal to install if you have too many foreign parts on the rifle[not enough US parts substituted, a 922r violation]...not illegal to possess.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No more than $300

+1

+2

+3

yeah, maybe $350 tops
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would say $250.  None of those accessories are worth having, and a Norinco SKS wasn't that awesome when they were $100.

Hell, throw $250 at him and see what he says!

Did he give you any kind of ball park as to what he wants?

The Vietnam era BS sounds like he's pretty proud of it! (A 69 camaro is a "Vietnam era car")

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell, throw $250 at him and see what he says!

Did he give you any kind of ball park as to what he wants?

The Vietnam era BS sounds like he's pretty proud of it! (A 69 camaro is a "Vietnam era car")

I'm trying to get rid of a junk car I have.  Selling it for $300.00.  He asked if I had anything in mind to trade, and I said gun stuff, so he came back with the SKS.  Tells me he has $450 invested in the gun, so I'm thinking he's trying to convince me it's a good deal.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:05:17 PM EDT
[#20]
One thing you want in a Chinese SKS is a barrel that is threaded into the receiver, rather than pressed and pinned.

The threaded barrels have flats on them where they meed the receiver.

I'm pretty sure that one is threaded.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:06:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm trying to get rid of a junk car I have.  Selling it for $300.00.  He asked if I had anything in mind to trade, and I said gun stuff, so he came back with the SKS.  Tells me he has $450 invested in the gun, so I'm thinking he's trying to convince me it's a good deal.

Like I said the gun is nice but the add ons add nothing and what he has in it doesnt mean shit.

I'm sticking with the $300 estimate.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:06:48 PM EDT
[#22]
No more than $300 for the rifle. The accessories are junk. So is the story about "Vietnam era"
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:07:11 PM EDT
[#23]
$400.00  In Ca. easy even more with The Bayo & Highcaps ...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:08:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

'cept hicaps are not 'transferable' in CA

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:08:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I wouldn't pay more than $250 for it. Have him throw in some ammo.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Shit, maybe I'll start selling some of mine!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:09:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The hi caps are a free trip to pound you in the ass prison.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

'cept hicaps are not 'transferable' in CA

& Bayo is dicy too ,thus the higher price ...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OOPS! Too late!

+1

The muzzle device, whatever it is, is not legal either unless the rifle has the required number of U.S. parts.

As with any firearm that has possibly shot corrosive ammo, look for the condition of the crown, bore, chamber and bolt face.  

Since the 'extras' add nothing to the value, if the rifle is otherwise in good condition, I would try to get him down to $200-250.  If there is evidence of corrosion, the value would drop off significantly.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#30]
No more than $200.

Stock is poorly refinished, Aftermarket handguard ( probably poorly installed ), cheesy flashhider and alot of worthless Tapco junk....

Mag pouches are Russian.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#31]
I'd trade straight across.

That gun is worth more than a junk car is. That's that.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#32]
In that it has a bayonet means it is one of the earlier imported Norincos.  It is not a sporter model though. The sporters had detachable mags.  If I recall correctly the older used bayonet models came first and then the NIB bayo models, and then the ones w/o the bayo but still had the lug and then the bayonet lugless versions.  Then the Russians, Yugos, Romanian ones etc., were imported with bayonets but only because they were Curios & Relics.

As far as the hicaps and flash hider goes, those Chinese ones are not C&Rs and many were customized. Point is I wouldn't worry about them. The high caps generally are junk. I did have a Norinco SKS that I put a twist on flash hider on. It actually improved the accuracy of that rifle but is the only one of about a dozen SKSs that I owned at one time or another that it made any difference.

It is kind of amusing watching people put values on those guns when back in the day you could buy them at gun shows for $79-$89 all day long.  My brothers and a couple friends ordered 5 of them through an FFL and paid $69 out the door once.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:03:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
No more than $200.

Stock is poorly refinished, Aftermarket handguard ( probably poorly installed ), cheesy flashhider and alot of worthless Tapco junk....

Mag pouches are Russian.

I own a Norinco and I agree.  That thing is not cherry by any means.  Check for corrosion as stated.  If it looks clean, I'd go $200 and if he gripes, I'd let him keep his mags, muzzle brake, and complain about the crappy refinish. $100 and the gun for your junker, or meet in the middle if you think the car can go for $250 and take $50 cash and the gun.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:19:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
In that it has a bayonet means it is one of the earlier imported Norincos.  It is not a sporter model though. The sporters had detachable mags.  If I recall correctly the older used bayonet models came first and then the NIB bayo models, and then the ones w/o the bayo but still had the lug and then the bayonet lugless versions.  Then the Russians, Yugos, Romanian ones etc., were imported with bayonets but only because they were Curios & Relics.

The detachable mag models were a special chinese model made to accept AK mags, known as the SKS "D" or "M" models; these were usually fitted with thumb-hole stocks IIRC.

OP, take a close look at the trigger-group. If it's made of milled-steel, that increases value. Some have trigger-guards made of stamped-steel, which is less desirable.

Also, check the bayonet mounting screw. If it isn't staked-down to prevent removal, someone had added the bayonet and the rifle is subject to 922r. A legal staked bayonet would add some value.

If the bayonet is legal, it's worth $250 and should be easily restored to original condition with a little shellac and new handguard. As others have stated, chuck the detachable metal mags. The SKS runs better using the fixed original mag and stripper-clips, athough the Tapco polymer mags do seem to work well for truck-guns and such.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:33:10 PM EDT
[#35]
I picked this one up recently for $220, just as you see it, nothing extra. Hope this helps you.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:48:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
One thing you want in a Chinese SKS is a barrel that is threaded into the receiver, rather than pressed and pinned.

The threaded barrels have flats on them where they meed the receiver.

I'm pretty sure that one is threaded.

I heard the pinned barrels hold up just as well as the threaded ones, and shoot just as good

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Well the guy backed out of the deal.

He asked, after all the back and forth, if I thought it would be a good first car for his daughter.  The answer to that is 100% no.  So he thanked me for my honesty, and is moving on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top