Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/6/2010 12:15:24 PM EDT
It's happened to me in the past, and now someone is interested in buying my Saab, even though it's not technically for sale.  I gave him a high price.  If he wants it, he's gonna have to pay.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:18:43 PM EDT
[#1]
That means one of two things:  A - Your car is unusual and collectible, like some old Jeep or oddball musclecar; or B- your car looks like a huge POS and the buyer thinks you have pretty much abandoned it and he can get it cheap.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:19:28 PM EDT
[#2]
gas station attendant near my work... car died the next day.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:20:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:33:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep. In '90 I had a guy whip out his wallet and ask me for my bottom line on my '74 Nova. It was kinda rusty around the wheel wells and rocker panels but it ran really nice. I wasn't really looking to sell it but had just gotten a deal on a pickup the week before so I sold it to him for $500. I bought it in '87 for $500 and all I put into it was a carb I got from a guy for $10 he had lying around in his garage.

I miss the days of old cheap cars with cheap parts that I could work on myself.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:37:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, my 67 camaro and my 70 CJ5.. I sold one and totaled the other
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Hot rods, imports and motorcycles yes. My normal dd cars not really. Some I've sold and some I've kept but when the money is right almost anything I own is for sale.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:41:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I get offers on my Javelin quit regulary but it is not for sale.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#8]
people try to buy my 94 civic all the time.

They offer me 1000 bucks usually and i tell em to get bent.  I put a new motor in that car for under a thousand bucks a few years ago and it runs like a brand new one. probably gonna buy another motor so when this one wears out i can replace it.  Ill drive this car 700 thousand miles
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Had some weirdo knock on my door and ask to buy an old ranger pickup parked in our driveway.  I figured he was buying it to re-sell to illegals.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:44:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Had several offers out of the blue for my '67 cougar.  now that i want to sell it, none
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:46:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes
Truck in garage when gas went up
Guy had a Suburban and I had a S-10 Chevy
Bet he want to trade his in on mine too
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:47:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I can assure you that no one ever offered to buy any of my cars out of the blue.

Can I buy your car?

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I've had about a dozen ridiculous offers on my 911.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yes. I had just bought a 87 Grand Prix SJ, craptastic baby V8 and T-Tops, champagne color.

I bought the car late in the evening, the next day I read through the contract I had signed and realized I had gotten hosed a little, not a huge rip off, but the next morning I realized I really didn't like the car very much, and was going to be paying for it for over two years.

I was in the Army at the time, I drove it to the motorpool after PT, and after work stopped at the PX gas station to fill it up. As I pumped the gas a fairly young MSgt in a green beret came up and started asking me about the car. Turns out he used to own one just like mine in high school, he has won it in a raffle brand new, and just after graduation had wrecked it, and he had never been able to find another one just like it. He asked me if I was willing to sell it, I told him I sure was, but that he probably wouldn't be willing to pay what I needed for it, I had just bought it the day before.

He offered me $6000 cash for it (this was at 4:45PM, the banks all closed at 5PM), I knew that would be enough to pay it off easily, so I told him he had a deal. I had him meet me at the dealer I had bought it at, and we would sort it all out. His bank was on the way, and he stopped just before they closed. I ended up being able to pay cash for the car,  and put $2500 cash in my pocket.

It was probably the luckiest I have ever been with a car, I didn't like it, had paid too much for it, and was really regretting buying it. I had needed a car bad, my old Chevette had a knocking, and the place I bought the Pontiac from had offered me $800 trade in for it, which was more than it was worth. The loan paperwork hadn't been approved yet, so I didn't have to pay any fees or interest, it ended up being done as a cash deal, in the other guys name.

I ended up buying another vehicle with the cash and driving it for a long time.

Thats a pretty cool story.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:53:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Yup.

Had a 1976 Chevy Nova just sitting in the driveway around 1990.   We were thinking we should sell it, but had no sign.   A couple weeks later some kids just drove by, stopped and knocked on the door, and made an offer.  They were excited as hell to get it, and we were happy to be rid of it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:54:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I can assure you that no one ever offered to buy any of my cars out of the blue.

You know... I have seen one of your cars in NC if you recall and I can believe this.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Back when I was in the car hobby, and had muscle cars in the driveway, all the time.

Nowadays, not so much.  (although I have had more than one offer on my current truck...)
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes...and I laughed and declined.  Two weeks later the transmission went out and I had to just trade it in at a rather low amount.  I guess the joke was on me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:59:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Had someone offer me $1200 for my dog once.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:07:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes, my pick-up

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes.

Both my truck and jeep.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#23]
I've had a couple

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:21:20 PM EDT
[#24]
My 68 Ford F-100 a number of times by different people.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:22:27 PM EDT
[#25]
My 71 GTX and it happened a few times.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:23:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I have had a couple people offer to buy my trucks over the years.

First truck I ever owned was an 86 toyota 4x4 I bought as a theft recovery in 1992. Paid $1,200 for it, put another $1k into it and it was good to go.

Delivered a pizza to an Australian guy who had an identical 4runner (same color, lift and wheels as my truck). He insisted on checking my truck out and offered me $5,500 for it on the spot.

Gave the guy my number and told him I would think about it. He called me about 1x a month asking if I had decided to sell. Finally told him I was gonna keep it. Still have it        

Couple years ago I bought my tacoma to replace a little dodge D50 that was dying (that I got for free). My smog guy was complementing me on my purchase and asked me "whatcha gonna do with that little Dodge u have?" Told him I was probably gonna junk it, he offered me $500 for it. Told him he had a deal, went home and cleaned my stuft out of it, yanked the stereo out (that was worth more then the truck)  tossed my mtn bike in the back of the truck and drove it over to him. He gave me cash, I signed the title and rode my bike back home.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#27]

I had an old junker in the driveway. Some random guy offered me $500 bucks for it. SOLD!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:28:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Illegals knock on my door at least once a week trying to buy my 1980 toyota pickup....i tell em ya its for sale 8 million pesos...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:31:04 PM EDT
[#29]
More than a few.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:37:36 PM EDT
[#30]
A gold '86 Park Avenue with dark windows. Guy at a stoplight offered to buy it. He thought it was "fly".
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:40:26 PM EDT
[#31]
not a car.  but while i was just out of highschool, while working my summer job, i used to get offers from people to buy my motorcycle for a lot mre than i paid for it.  i would have taken the money, but it was my only mode of transportation.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:42:31 PM EDT
[#32]
i get guys stopping by all the time asking to buy a jeep or trailer
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You know... I have seen one of your cars in NC if you recall and I can believe this.  

hell, thousands here have seen his pink izuzu amigo

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:45:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yep. In '90 I had a guy whip out his wallet and ask me for my bottom line on my '74 Nova. It was kinda rusty around the wheel wells and rocker panels but it ran really nice. I wasn't really looking to sell it but had just gotten a deal on a pickup the week before so I sold it to him for $500. I bought it in '87 for $500 and all I put into it was a carb I got from a guy for $10 he had lying around in his garage.

The general idea behind todays automotive technology as required by the EPA is to give a consumer a car that will generally get the rated fuel economy for 100K miles, and punish you with lots of flashing lights on your dash if it doesn't.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Had several offers out of the blue for my '67 cougar.  now that i want to sell it, none

Mine was a 69 Cougar, But I said yes to one of the offers. Enjoyed the car for a few years, then made a thousand bucks profit.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:56:06 PM EDT
[#36]
I fixed up an old Ford Ranger (Gloss black with big AT tires and chrome wheels) and I cant go anywhere without someone wanting it!

I have WAY more than its worth in it and when someone offers me $1500 I just look at them like
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:04:38 PM EDT
[#37]
I get offers to buy my Bronco on a regular basis. Nothing special about. Stock and in decent shape.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

That means one of two things: A - Your car is unusual and collectible, like some old Jeep or oddball musclecar; or B- your car looks like a huge POS and the buyer thinks you have pretty much abandoned it and he can get it cheap.

This!

It seems I get offers more often than I care to admit. In my case though, I fit into the A category with people that are interested described in category B (ie. get it cheap). It seems like everyone who automatically assumes it's for sale (which it isn't) are quick to offer a few measely thousand and act like they are doing me a huge favor. As I recall, it got really old really fast.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:18:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Yep...several times for the Roach...

It looks like its more expensive than its worth...although its mods set it apart from stock TT's by a long chalk
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#40]
yes

but it was both vettes and one of my jeeps

for like my ford trucks or Focus.....no
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:21:15 PM EDT
[#41]
When gas was $4.00 a gallon people wanted  my s10. I had it because I needed a gas saver when I had my 4x4 ram. When people ask me what I wanted for it I told them $1500 and I only paid $500 for it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:27:56 PM EDT
[#42]
5 years ago my uncle gave me his old 65 Plymouth that was sitting unused. I couldn't get it to turn over & had a bitch of a time
pulling out the spark plugs out thru the tubes into the valve covers.

I guy stopped & asked me about the car while I was working on it in the driveway. He offered me $1000.00 for the car. I thought that
was a fair offer considering it had 4 flat tires & wouldn't turn over.

I took his offer before before he changed his mind!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#43]
I had a full size bronco that at least once a week someone would offer to buy it from me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:49:23 PM EDT
[#44]
I haven't but my parents did, back in about 2002. My mom drove an '88 Chevy Caprice Classic.  They were becoming very popular cars in the black neighborhoods.  Lots of 20-somethings decking them out with big rims and all that jazz.  One day while they were out on the porch, this black kid drives up and asked if they wanted to sell it.  It happened that they had been discussing selling it, and he agreed to the price they gave him.  He was back the next day with the cash.  Drove away with a huge grin on his face, and my parents had a nice wad of cash.  Winners all around.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Had a guy chase me down the street on foot trying to buy my car when I was leaving a car show this spring.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

It's happened to me in the past, and now someone is interested in buying my Saab, even though it's not technically for sale.  I gave him a high price.  If he wants it, he's gonna have to pay.  

Yes, for my beat-up 4x4 Ranger...

The fact that I got it for $300 myself, would make this tempting if I didn't need a truck...

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:54:09 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Still can do all that...

Most of the 96-97s (1st-gen OBDII) are getting pretty cheap these days, although Cash-for-clunkers may have hurt that a bit...

Most folks who think they can't work on modern cars are just slightly intimidated by the car's computer system...

Learn how to work on that, and you'll never miss the old vacuum-logic & mechanical stuff again....

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Yup,  Some guy ran out of a shop when I was getting into my '68 Barracuda Notchback and bought it off of me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:11:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
5 years ago my uncle gave me his old 65 Plymouth that was sitting unused. I couldn't get it to turn over & had a bitch of a time
pulling out the spark plugs out thru the tubes into the valve covers.

I guy stopped & asked me about the car while I was working on it in the driveway. He offered me $1000.00 for the car. I thought that
was a fair offer considering it had 4 flat tires & wouldn't turn over.

I took his offer before before he changed his mind!

Yeah, right!!   LOL!!!

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Beats me why, but when I owned a '69 Datsun pickup truck, I had folks
at least once a month offer to buy it right out from under me.

I know it was an EARLY Datsun, in fact I have never seen one from earlier
than that year-Hell, I've never seen another one from THAT year, but, really, WTF?

Best $350.00 I ever spent on a motor vehicle, and sold it for $350.00, too. It
put me in mind of a VW Beetle with a bed.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top