Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2010 10:18:56 AM EDT
The bad economy: we hear over and over about the drop in housing costs, loss of jobs, businesses being barely able to hang on and a reduced demand for goods & services.  In such a scenario, you would think that businesses facing hard times would do anything to stay afloat… like bidding at cost to keep employees employed, selling at cost to move merchandise out of warehouses/showrooms, taking smaller jobs, offering better service, etc.

Maybe things are different here (central Texas), but other than a drop in housing costs and more homes on the market, I don’t see any businesses making price concessions or offering more value added services… oh, yeah - lots of talk, but it is biz as usual.  

How about where you live?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:32:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I already give my clients the best that my people can do at the best price that we can afford and still make a decent living.

We recently have had a couple of clients want to "re-negotiate" contracts (lower of course...no one wants to renegotiate "up"...) I generally tell them that we are already as low as we can go.

If they don't understand that, I just tell them that I have enough "hobbies" already ("hobby" is anything that you do for fun and don't make any money at...) If I want another hobby, I'll just go shooting more (or retire...)
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:37:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:33:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm in Central Texas too.  Our local economy has not suffered as much as some other areas.

Yeah, it SUCKED ASS that my house lost about $20k in value, but I have a good job that is secure and the company is doing well.   I've been able to adjust my budget and cut out some things that I didn't need, like cable TV.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:51:14 AM EDT
[#4]

I'm in Central Texas as well.  TX in general is doing better than a lot of other places, and CenTex isn't doing too bad as a whole.  One thing you need to remember is that the area is home to a very large group of people with stable employment or income.  Large military facility with lots of active duty and civil service personnel, the accompanying contract employment, a decent number of other federal and state agencies are represented, and a large retired military community as well. We're kinda in a bit of a bubble here.

But I have noticed businesses with parking lots much less full than a year ago, some businesses closing, and definitely seen some people struggling with the employment issue.  Housing prices haven't taken as much of a hit as other areas.  Other than fuel, the prices of most items I regularly use have risen more than the official inflation/ cost of living rate over the last 1.5 years.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top