Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2010 10:04:55 AM EDT
Im copying all of my music and pics as we speak and is there a way to keep all of my web addresses? I use firefox and would like to save all of them..

How about microsoft office, can I just copy the files off the C drive? I lost the damn disk of I would just reuse it...

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:10:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Load it!  When I loaded Win7 on mine after an XP crash it left  everything in place except XP.

Back up to DVDs or external hard drive to be sure.  Office will have to be reloaded.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:11:26 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Load it!  When I loaded Win7 on mine after an XP crash it left  everything in place except XP.

Really?

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:12:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Yup, but to be safe copy or back up to DVD or external HD.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:13:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Like I said I have all my pics, music and documents backed up except for my favorites and microsoft office..
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Firefox has a few different add on's for backing up your bookmarks. Not sure about Office. You should be given an option when you put the 7 disc in if you want to upgrade(keep your stuff) or fresh install(formats drive first) Fresh install is the best way to go, upgrading can sometimes cause different issues. PITA to redownload all your stuff but in the end atleast you'll know everything is current and upto date with the latest versions.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:24:51 AM EDT
[#6]
If I remember correctly, when I did my Win7 upgrade from XP, it saved everything, to include bookmarks.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:27:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I just went onto the C drive and copied the entire microsoft office folder. Hopefully that will have everything Ill need to install it...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:53:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Well its installed. I just did the upgrade and selected to keep all my programs. I guess well see how it turns out!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just went onto the C drive and copied the entire microsoft office folder. Hopefully that will have everything Ill need to install it...

You need an install disc for office and an activation key.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:06:45 PM EDT
[#10]
If you are using Office 2007, you can use this free utility to recover your install key: http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
Getting a copy to reinstall is pretty simple.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:16:01 PM EDT
[#11]
upgrading is not good, it leaves everything, including crap software.  The only way to ever install an OS is to reformat and do a clean install.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:45:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

upgrading is not good, it leaves everything, including crap software.  The only way to ever install an OS is to reformat and do a clean install.

I tried to wipe out everything but when I clicked on that option it started, gave me an error message then rebooted. I had to start over again so I tried the upgrade option.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:54:22 PM EDT
[#13]
You will like 7, first Win  OS I can say that.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#14]
The 21st Century definition of brave.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:01:01 PM EDT
[#15]
So far so good. Any cool features I should know about? How about must have addons?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:05:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I hate it
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate it

Is there anything in particular you don't like?  I personally love it.....much better than XP.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:18:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Firefox SHOULD have an export function...
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:05:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate it

I hate the new taskbar.  There is no reason that they had to screw with it, but classic mode isn't even an option.
You remember rebooting every time you changed anything in windows 98?  Well welcome back old friend.
Win7 UAC is crap. It treats everything you do like it's a virus attack but if you disable it, you are no more secure than with XP.  
Then there are many more annoyances like the dumbed down Control Panel, and evey time I transfer an MP3 it tries to convert it to a WMA.  
Or when you paste a file with the same name to replace the existing one, it gives you this big ass tool-tip instead of the old simple "a file by that name already exists, replace?"  
Most of your applications that replace MS applications are greeted with a warning "This application has known compatibility problems, Install anyway?" to try to scare you back to the MS app.  Well here's a shocker for you:  Most MS products have compatibility problems!  Are we downloading 12 windows updates every week just for fun?
Oh, and my favorite:  I got blackscreened ("This copy of windows is Invalid") on my Authentic registered copy for disabling one of the windows services.  I was able to fix it, but I'd have been pissed If I'd been in a netmeeting for work.  Just leave the tattle-tale service running or it will Invalidate your copy.
Old hardware not supported:  Scanner and Mouse had to be replaced.

On the positive side, it works as well as XP, and if you get the 64-bit version you can run more memory.  If you play games, DX9 is getting outdated, so you'll have to be getting 7 within the next year anyway.  Apps are beginning to use more than 1 or 2 cores, and address more than 2gb of memory as well.

Note: Nobody should be buying 32-bit Windows 7!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:25:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There is no direct upgrade path from XP to 7, only from vista to 7.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Firefox SHOULD have an export function...

It does, its under the favorites area.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Like RedTube is such a tricky address to remember?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate it

I hate the new taskbar.  There is no reason that they had to screw with it, but classic mode isn't even an option.

You remember rebooting every time you changed anything in windows 98?  Well welcome back old friend.

Win7 UAC is crap. It treats everything you do like it's a virus attack but if you disable it, you are no more secure than with XP.  

Then there are many more annoyances like the dumbed down Control Panel, and evey time I transfer an MP3 it tries to convert it to a WMA.  

Or when you paste a file with the same name to replace the existing one, it gives you this big ass tool-tip instead of the old simple "a file by that name already exists, replace?"  

Most of your applications that replace MS applications are greeted with a warning "This application has known compatibility problems, Install anyway?" to try to scare you back to the MS app.  Well here's a shocker for you:  Most MS products have compatibility problems!  Are we downloading 12 windows updates every week just for fun?

Oh, and my favorite:  I got blackscreened ("This copy of windows is Invalid") on my Authentic registered copy for disabling one of the windows services.  I was able to fix it, but I'd have been pissed If I'd been in a netmeeting for work.  Just leave the tattle-tale service running or it will Invalidate your copy.

Old hardware not supported:  Scanner and Mouse had to be replaced.

On the positive side, it works as well as XP, and if you get the 64-bit version you can run more memory.  If you play games, DX9 is getting outdated, so you'll have to be getting 7 within the next year anyway.  Apps are beginning to use more than 1 or 2 cores, and address more than 2gb of memory as well.

Note: Nobody should be buying 32-bit Windows 7!

Wow, you have a totally different experience than what I have had running Windows 7.  I almost never have to restart, UAC very rarely pops up, don't have much of an issue with old applications with known compatibility problems.  Weird.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:38:03 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Like RedTube is such a tricky address to remember?  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top