Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2010 9:10:30 AM EDT
I just had one pressed up against my arm while taking out my garden hose.  Not sure if it bit me or not, but if it did, should I hurry up and write up a will?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:12:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just had one pressed up against my arm while taking out my garden hose.  Not sure if it bit me or not, but if it did, should I hurry up and write up a will?

You'll find out when your skin starts to necrose.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:13:03 AM EDT
[#2]

It will start to itch at first. Like a bug bite. Then turning red.  Then your flesh will start to die.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:13:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A couple of questions though:

1.  I definately didn't feel a bite, should I have?

2.  Will you always get skin necrosis with a bite?

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:14:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

It will start to itch at first. Like a bug bite. Then turning red.  Then your flesh will start to die.

And after that, it's only a matter of time before you get a craving for human flesh.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:16:46 AM EDT
[#5]
A friend of mine was bitten by one dead-center in the middle of his right buttcheek whilst camping... apparently sitting on a log to answer nature's call is bad ju-ju.  He said it felt like a bee-sting when it bit him, so unless you clearly felt a bite I wouldn't be too concerned.

That's not to say contacting your physician and having him write a prescription for whatever the treatment is wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:17:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

A person who gets bitten by a brown recluse spider may not notice anything at first or only feel a little sting at first. After about four to eight hours, the sting will start to hurt a little more. It might look like a bruise or might form a blister surrounded by a bluish-purple area that turns black or brown and becomes crusty after a few days.

I have heard that bites affect people differently. Some it's bad, some it's no worse than a bad bug bite.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:20:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A person who gets bitten by a brown recluse spider may not notice anything at first or only feel a little sting at first. After about four to eight hours, the sting will start to hurt a little more. It might look like a bruise or might form a blister surrounded by a bluish-purple area that turns black or brown and becomes crusty after a few days.

I have heard that bites affect people differently. Some it's bad, some it's no worse than a bad bug bite.

Ok, thanks.  I don't think I was bitten, but having one up against my arm is not something I liked seeing.  I definately didn't feel a bite or can see any type of mark on my arm.  

I smashed that fucker good though!  Now I am going to go buy some bug bombs.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:22:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I would of shat.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:23:46 AM EDT
[#9]
The spider can only bite you if he has his bottom side facing you. If your arm was only on his back side, he could not bite you.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:26:58 AM EDT
[#10]
That's pretty serious man. I've heard that in some cases, once your tissue starts to die, the wound never fully heals.

Also, heard of infections spreading throughout your body and amputations due to the bites as well.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:30:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Needs pictures.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:34:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Normally around these parts, that is the type I see.  This one had a bigger rear section that was more lightly colored.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:38:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Jerk!

I was bitten by a recluse in 1999.  I never felt the bite, I did feel an itch.  I scratched it a bit and finally pulled up my pant leg (it bit me on the front left calf) and I had a red round dot, a bit smaller than a mosquito bite.  It was oozing a clear pus.  Thought nothing more of it, no real pain or anything.  I got out of the shower the next morning and was toweling off when my wife looked down at my leg and asked me what was wrong with my leg.

The red bump was gone, but a reddish black pattern had spread around the bite area where my skin was dying.  I think if you are not itching and oozing you'll be just fine.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:40:52 AM EDT
[#14]
I seen wounds from those nasty spiders, gnarly!  Surgical debridement, no amputations that I've seen.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:50:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Since your from Oklahoma. Dibs on guns. I can come right over and pick them up.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:51:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Ohhhh I cant believe no one has said it yet! Im calling dibs on guns and ammo!

eta Damn foiled again!

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:58:57 AM EDT
[#17]
I was bitten by one about 30 years ago. It felt like someone put a lit cigar on my leg.I dont know for sure that it was a Recluse or not. It started as a hot red welt and got worse and worse. I was young and extreemly bullet proof so I never went to see a doctor and I dont think a Dr would have helped much. The skin around the bite ended up dying and leaving an open wound and took the better part of a year to heal leaving a pretty good scar that I can still see. I'm not nearly as bullet proof any more and I'd get to the doc pretty quick if it happened again.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Good Luck man.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:20:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Some of the best fun I had was convincing young Marines on field exercises that "the spider you just saw in your tent is without any shadow of a doubt a brown recluse. Yep no doubt about it. probably a whole bumch more where that one came from. sleep tight!"  I swear, nobody has ever heard of a brown recluse before parris island but afterwards every spider you see is instantly one of them. Nasty little bastards.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, thanks.  I don't think I was bitten, but having one up against my arm is not something I liked seeing.  I definately didn't feel a bite or can see any type of mark on my arm.  

1. I have heard on a show about stinging critters that if you even get the venom of a fiddleback on your bare skin, it can cause a problem, and
2. I don't think that bug bombs will kill spiders.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:32:13 AM EDT
[#21]
If the spider looked like this:

You're fine...however if it didn't, then it could have been a number of other spiders but if you're bitten you'll usually know when it bites.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:44:05 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1. I have heard on a show about stinging critters that if you even get the venom of a fiddleback on your bare skin, it can cause a problem, and

2. I don't think that bug bombs will kill spiders.
You can get bug bombs that are good for spiders. I use them prior to going into crawl spaces or tight enclosed areas like that. I keep a box of 'em in my truck.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top