Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/6/2010 12:16:25 AM EDT
Or is it the fact that your not allowed to have them that makes them good?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:20:02 AM EDT
[#1]
SOME Cubans are that good.  Others are overrated.  40 years' worth of some of the premier Cuban cigar manufacturers leaving Cuba (or expanding out of Cuba) has given them a lot of time to come up with some quality non-Cuban smokes.  My all-time favorite cigar is a Cuban, but there are a ton of non-Cubans that I like better than many Cubans I've had.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:20:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

As soon as Cuba has another revolution, and the government is replaced by a democracy, I'll let you know...

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:27:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Or is it the fact that you're not allowed to have them that makes them good?

Punctuation is allowed in the free world.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:46:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I was not impressed.  Although I am not a very experienced cigar smoker.

My father in law is.  He was not as impressed as he thought he would be.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:48:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I think the tobacco had a slightly better flavor to it, but many of them were not rolled all too well compared to non-Cuban ones.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:48:32 AM EDT
[#6]
OP come visit us in The Humidor sometime.  General tab, near the bottom.

Cuban cigars are what they are.  They're no better or worse than, let's say a Dominician cigar.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:49:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Cuban cigars are what they are.  They're no better or worse than, let's say a Dominician cigar.

Who smokes cigars anymore, anyway?

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:51:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only the genetically unfortunate and habitually hedonistic.  Poor bastards.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:59:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I had one when I was in Jamaica last year. It was Ok. Mellow smoke totally unlike
a hmmm Philly Prefecto. Lasted a long time––about 6 or 7 drinks
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:55:44 AM EDT
[#10]
The two big problems with Cubans is the quality of the roll, especially on cheaper brands. And the cigars are not aged well as Cuba needs cash flow so the cigars are pushed right out. My favorites are Monte Cristo, quality of the cigar is good, but just needs ageing. Put them in a humador for 2 years and they come out very smooth.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:21:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I think many of the traditional Cuban cigars are highly overrated.  I always found Cohiba's to be much harsher than my favorite brand  Romeo Y Julieto which is verrrrrrrrry smooth and long lasting.  Always picked my Cubans up in my travels through Switzerland or Canada.  Never....and I mean NEVER buy so called "Cuban" cigars in Mexico......most sold in Mexico are fakes and are much cheaper crap cigars than real Cubans.  

http://www.topcubans.com/cuban-cigars/romeo-y-julieta,24.html

I think much of the Cuban cigar myth is exactly that...myth.  I have had some wonderful cigars made in other central American countries such as the Dominican Republic from Cuban cigar seed.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:23:35 AM EDT
[#12]
yes
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:33:22 AM EDT
[#13]
No    

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:33:40 AM EDT
[#14]

I have had really good ones, and others that tasted like smoking rolled up salmon skin.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:47:38 AM EDT
[#15]
People really get into this stuff:

"Richard's Experience:  I have not met an aficionado who has not praised this Robusto. It is strong, excitingly spicy and packed with explosive nervous character, rather like a young stallion. Equally appreciable during the day or with a meal, this Ramón Allones will impress you with its build, its smoothness and its ripe fullness on the palate and the nose. Smoking this cigar is a ‘real’ holistic experience. Topcubans.com recommends this cigar!"

Imagine if we reviewed guns and ammo like this:    The Stag was much like a, well, stag in it's stagliness.  The Prvi emitted a Wolf-like bark followed by a fragrant burnt-powder aroma.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:48:45 AM EDT
[#16]

They're Commulicious.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:54:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Had my first Cubans a couple months ago. Son-in-law gave them to me. The "cheaper" one wasn't bad. The high dollar one (street price of $65) wasn't worth a tenth of that in my opinion. There are many more out there so I can't make a blanket statement, but I have to believe what the experts are saying––with all the choices these days, no one is missing out without the Cubans.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:58:30 AM EDT
[#18]
I smoked a few while on vacation in Grand Cayman one year.  I thought they were the best cigars I've ever had.  They were exceptionally smooth.  And seemed to last for an hour or more.

Of course, there are probably cigars equally as good if not better here in the States, but I have never spent the money on the quality ones to find out.

MJ
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:59:47 AM EDT
[#19]
They USED to be that good....Not anymore
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:01:41 AM EDT
[#20]
My username says it all
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:01:51 AM EDT
[#21]
I have smoked hundreds of them all different kinds of Cuban cigars, still have some Cohibas in the humidor.    They were all good smokes but not any better than you can buy legally !
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:11:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:05:56 AM EDT
[#23]

Wasn't the creme de la creme of Cubans but it was decent.  Bought it more or less just because I could...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:32:55 AM EDT
[#24]
A good cigar is a good cigar,no matter where it was rolled. I smoke  a Cuban cigar if I'm in the islands or in Canada where they are legal. I also smoke Dominican and Honduran cigars and enjoy them just as much.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:35:52 AM EDT
[#25]
I hear many "Cuban" cigars sold in Mexico are counterfeit. Also, it's my understanding that Cuban tobacco isn't what it used to be and the old master torcederos (cigar rollers) left for Miami when Castro took over. Many cigar afficianados claim most Dominicans and Hondurans that are grown from Cuban seed are better than today's Cubans and perhaps, as good as the originals. My favorite is "Padron", they are Honduran.

A tobacco/wine store in Atascocita, TX had a limited supply of cigars called "Serie B" that were supposedly rolled from some 1950's Cuban tobacco that was found in the back of  a warehouse, where it was overlooked for 60 yrs. I don't know if the story was true, but it was never claimed by anyone not to be and they were absolutely the best tasting cigar I've ever smoked. That supply has dried up.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:40:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Many seeds for Cuban tobacco have been smuggled or exported to other countries. Like the Dominican Republic or Nicaragua. With the embargo and cash problems, Cuba also has a hard time getting their hands on the A grade fertilizers and pest control chemicals produced by the US ag industry. Cuba's competitors can get those supplies.

So right now, the idea of a Cuban cigar is riding on reputation.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:41:23 AM EDT
[#27]
I think all cigars suck
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:52:26 AM EDT
[#28]
I'll take a good Honduran over a Cuban any day.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:53:41 AM EDT
[#29]
They are not what they used to be and like anything else it all depends on what type of Cuban cigar you are talking about, Cuba has an entire cigar making industry you have the guys that make the cheep shit all the way up to the high end guys, so you could get the equivalent of a "cuban philly blunt" and it will totally suck.... the problem the high end Cuban cigars are having lately is one of constancy no money in that country for good labor.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:18:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:19:57 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not really about smoking a cigar. It's about replacing an object.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:21:55 AM EDT
[#32]
NO. All the good makers left for Honduras, D.R., and a few other places. The only thing Cubans have is the stigma.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:36:37 AM EDT
[#33]
No. Unfortunately too many Cuban cigars are poorly constructed these days. Almost half of the Cohibas I've smoked have been plugged.
The days of superior Cuban cigars ended many years ago. As good & much better to be had in Nicaragua, Honduras, Dominican Republic.
I just returned from Nicaragua and brought back some excellent cigars. Tons of Cohibas for sale but everyone of them was fake. I'm not interested in the real ones anyway.....

If you're a cigar smoker, give these 2 a try:

Nestor Miranda Special Selection Habano Rosado 5"1/2 * 54 - Nicaragua
Cuesta Rey Centro Fino Sungrown Pyramid No. 9 - Dominican Republic
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:40:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Rush Limbaugh said that when the USSR was still around and propping up Cuba with subsidies and buying their ag products at inflated prices, Cuban cigars really were some of the best in the world.  But when the economic support from the USSR stopped their quality went to hell.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:43:47 AM EDT
[#35]
I have had a few good Cubans but I like the better quality Dominicans these days.  I am really into Camaroon wrappers for a bit of spice and the VSG Ashtons are the bomb!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

there are a couple of issues that need to be addressed. first, like any other product line there are top quality and economy versions. second, there are the problems associated with counterfeiting. most cigars we think are cuban are counterfeit. even those purchased out side this country.  if you smoke a true cuban cohiba and then a true u.s. allowed cohiba you will notice a real difference.  the problem is, are you smoking what you think you are smoking?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:16:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Some are great, some aren't. Counterfeits are everywhere and a lot of the ones that make it back to the states are dried out or otherwise ruined.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:20:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
NO. All the good makers left for Honduras, D.R., and a few other places. The only thing Cubans have is the stigma.

Yep.  Padron FTW.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:33:47 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

It's not that they are better. It's just that Cuban tobacco is different than what's grown anywhere else. You either like it or you don't.

Most of the stuff people buy while on vacation in the Caribbean is fake, unless purchased from a LCDH franchise. Same with the border areas of Canada.

Ding ding ding....we have a winner!

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:57:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#41]
I've been lucky enough to smoke a few pre-embargo cubans and they are without a doubt some of the best smokes I've ever had. I've also smoked several current cubans and while good they are on par with current dominican and Nicaraguan.

The fact that they are forbidden fruit has alot to do with it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:04:02 AM EDT
[#42]
I have had some good ones, I have had some bad ones. Just like every other country of manufacturer in the business.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not that they are better. It's just that Cuban tobacco is different than what's grown anywhere else. You either like it or you don't.

Most of the stuff people buy while on vacation in the Caribbean is fake, unless purchased from a LCDH franchise. Same with the border areas of Canada.

Ding ding ding....we have a winner!

This. They tend to have less body, but more complex flavor when aged. They're not better or worse, just different.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:00:58 PM EDT
[#44]
I've smoked a couple of them, they were good, I think it was better because you aren't supposed to have them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:44:33 PM EDT
[#45]
I think the quality has suffered under Castro.
I had a whole box of cuban Montecristos 15 years ago; they were good, but no better than any of the good dominicans, and not as good as the best of the Dominicans.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:46:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Yes they are good, but I've had "non-cuban's" that are better.  The Fuente Opus X is by far the best cigar i've ever had, and I've had some great cigars.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only the genetically unfortunate and habitually hedonistic.  Poor bastards.

hey its not my fault i have beautiful wimminz fanning me with palm leaves. :D
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:53:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Partagas D4.  My absolute favorite.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:57:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Some of the best cigars I have enjoyed were stored at proper temp/humidity and smoked in the right climate.  I think this matters most.  Some of those were Cuban, but most Dominican and Nicaraguan.

Some of the worst but most expensive cigars (Cuban and others) I have suffered through were seemingly not stored correctly.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:26:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Had several occassions to try various cigars while I was in Iraq.  Most of the Cuban cigars were dried out, while some of the stuff from Honduars was quite nice.  When you can't get booze, a nice cigar is good for a buzz. Now that I'm back in the land of milk, honey, and Canadian whisky I have no need for cigars.

YMMV
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top