Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2010 7:15:30 PM EDT
Why doesn't Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha or any other manufacturer make a street legal ATV.  I have seen pictures and read articles about them but have never seen one.  I think there is the potential for one of the major manufacturer's to make some money.  I know its not legal in every state and I can't understand why.  Its not much different than riding a dual sport motorcycle.  Has anyone else thought about this.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:16:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I have thought about this.  I thought that some of those side by sides can be made street legal?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:16:40 PM EDT
[#2]
All ATV's are street legal in Wyoming.  You just need a rear light, a mirror and Wyoming will give you a plate for it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:16:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe a liability thing with the mfgr
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd love to own one. Though I think the four wheels would legally make it a car.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:18:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Because the emissions, furl econony and crashworthiness concerns would be a nightmare.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:19:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I grew up riding ATV's just never got into motorcycles that's the reason i've been considering it.  It's propbably not legal in NY though.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:22:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Samurai

/thread
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#8]
With the size of some of the new ATV's you might as well just buy a Jeep.    Some of the new utility quads are HUGE!  

More on topic though, it doesn't really make much sense.   Something else that doesn't make sense is the restrictions on making some types of motorcycles street legal.   Some states are pretty cool with it and you can get away with tagging a CR450x or something similar, but some states just flat out will not let you.   Yet you can go buy a DRZ400s/e/sm and it comes with a street title.   What's the big difference other than spark arrestors?    Even that is a moot point on most modern 4 strokes.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:23:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#10]
This was spotted in Chicago recently by my buddy.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top