Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/5/2010 6:15:58 PM EDT
I finally found a job, it's not great but it's money in the pocket. I'm a night stocker at Safeway. I work 10PM-7AM, which means my sleep schedule is going to be fucked up for the next couple days-weeks while I get used to it. I have to work again tonight at 10:30

Last night was my first day, and I didn't get off till 7:30am, it's a half hour drive home, plus I had to pick up breakfast for the girlfriend. I get to her house 8:30, don't fall asleep till 930 10am. She wakes me up in a fuss at 11:30 saying she has to get to work. She's bitching at me for being half asleep while I'm driving, come to find out she doesn't even have to be at work till 12:30, and she knew about it.

Then I'm elected to take her brister shopping. Long story short I don't get back to sleep until 2PM. Have to wake up again at 4PM to go to girlfriends lunch, Leave her at 4:45pm head back to my grand parent's house.

Now I'm "to tired to fall asleep", lay in bed until 5:30, my grandparents come home. I sleep in their basement, and the upstairs floors squeak really bad. They're making themselves dinner  so they're moving around a lot, the kitchen is also right over where I sleep. So I just say "fuck it, I'll have to rely on 5 hour energy shots and coffee to stay awake tonight". I turn on the lights and start looking for some ear plugs that I vaguely remember having somewhere.  

They call down and ask if they woke me up, I lie to them and say no. They ask me if I want them to leave and I say no again. They don't listen to me and wrap up their dinner(not  ready all the way) and take off. So Now I feel like a major ass hat who just kicked his grandparents out of their own home.

Sorry for the incoherent micro rant. I'm tired frustrated and guilty

I'm going to take advantage of my grandparn'ts generosity now.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:18:23 PM EDT
[#1]
That sucks.   When you finally get tired enough, you will sleep through most anything though.    It'll just take a couple more days to get to that point.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Got to love the good ole night shifts......don't feel bad, I work 0730-1600 during the week and 1900-0700 friday and saturdays at my other job, and I have two kids, a 1 yr old and a month old!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like you need to stop being a mangina and kick your gf to the curb...tell her to get her own breakfast lunch and dinner and find her own ride to work....
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#4]
or call your GF at 0100 and 0330 on your breaks and see how she is doing....
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

tried that, she keeps her phone on vibrate 24/7
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#6]
WTF is with your GF? Does she realize what shift you're working?

Sounds pretty selfish and childish from my perspective.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:33:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

tried that, she keeps her phone on vibrate 24/7

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:39:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Nobody respects sleep in my life.  My kids will literally kick me in the nuts at 2:30 in the morning.  My wife will wake me up at 4:00 AM to ask me I remember that tomorrow is garbage day.  At 6:00 AM, I get up with all the kids just because I give up.  Fuck it, I'll sleep when I'm dead.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:40:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

there you go. I've called people like that, when they didn't leave me alone to sleep during the day.
they quickly got the message.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Sleep with a fan on. It really cancels out some noise, The constant hum will make you sleep like a Baby.

Your GF needs to start taking care of herself, And needs to show respect that you are working some tough hours.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I worked this schedule for a couple of years straight.

0700-1500
0700-1500
0700-1500
Off
1500-2300
1500-2300
2300-0700
2300-0700
Off
Off

Repeat.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Good job on being a doormat. You have a girlfriend, she has a servant. Kick her to the curb.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:52:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sleep with a fan on. It really cancels out some noise, The constant hum will make you sleep like a Baby.

Your GF needs to start taking care of herself, And needs to show respect that you are working some tough hours.

I worked those hours for over a decade and loved it..........BUT you got to get your sleep and work your sleep schedule out so it works for you.
Your GF just aint getting it. Plus working two different shifts is going to be hard on yah.
Doesn't sound like she gets it.........screw that taking her to work or taking her out to lunch crap.......
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:52:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I used to work nights at UPS. No one gave a damn or understood what that meant. All throughout the day people, even family members, would be fucking with me or doing things to prevent me from sleeping. What pissed me off the most was nearly everyone would call me lazy for sleeping during the day. Most people would try to wake me up or prevent me from getting even 4 hours of sleep. People would bang on my window, my walls, call my phones, yell at me through the walls. People are fucking assholes to people who work nights.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:54:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I worked those hours for over a decade and loved it..........BUT you got to get your sleep and work your sleep schedule out so it works for you.

Your GF just aint getting it. Plus working two different shifts is going to be hard on yah.

Doesn't sound like she gets it.........screw that taking her to work or taking her out to lunch crap.......

I expect that the OP is going to have to dump the GF. She isn't going to "get it".

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#16]
You need to let people know you have a night job and that you sleep during the day. I've had a night job. It sucks but you get used to it and you get used to sleeping during the day.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I expect that the OP is going to have to dump the GF. She isn't going to "get it".  

I'm hoping that she'll learn to live with me having to sleep during the day. The whole reason I got the job was so that we could get our own place.

ETA: I gave up, I'm going to get some gogo juice going through my veins. I don't work tomorrow so I'll catch up my sleep then.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:10:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I used to work nights at UPS. No one gave a damn or understood what that meant. All throughout the day people, even family members, would be fucking with me or doing things to prevent me from sleeping. What pissed me off the most was nearly everyone would call me lazy for sleeping during the day. Most people would try to wake me up or prevent me from getting even 4 hours of sleep. People would bang on my window, my walls, call my phones, yell at me through the walls. People are fucking assholes to people who work nights.

I think people would start to go missing.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:19:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's a few words you need to use: "FUCK OFF!  I WORK ALL NIGHT AND HAVE TO SLEEP DURING THE DAY.  I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN I AM AVAILABLE.   Put it in your voicemail message and on your door.  Turn your phone off or set it to vibrate on the other side of the room.

Not getting enough sleep will turn you to worthless if you let it.  You can't get away with it as long as you think you can. I know from experience that fixing mistakes you made while exhausted while still exhausted has a low success rate and sometimes just turns to total caca.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I've been working 8pm-8am for 2 years now.  I'm a very light sleeper too.  Take a unisom and tell everyone to leave you the fuck alone.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:27:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Stepdad always worked second and third shift so it was stressed to us to shut up and be as quiet as possible during the day.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:29:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Tell your girlfriend and her sister they can drive themselves.

Why the hell are you driving them around?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:30:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Good job on being a doormat. You have a girlfriend, she has a servant. Kick her to the curb.

No offense, OP, but your girlfriend sounds like a cunt. I've been there. Eject.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:32:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No offense, OP, but your girlfriend sounds like a cunt. I've been there. Eject.

This.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:33:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

They're both 17(twins), they won't be getting their license until November(over populated school, couldn't get into drivers ed). I can't blame them for not wanting to drive. I can't get insurance to cover them until they get a license, and no license+no insurance is an $1100 ticket.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:36:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Man I feel your pain.  I worked 15+ yrs 10:00pm-6:30am.  It fucking sucks.  I have been off work for 2+yrs (injured) an my sleep is still fucked up.  I cant sleep at night.  I felt like a vampire, everbody else in the house had a "normal" schedule an I would feel like an asshat when people came over and I was sleeping.  

I just learned to sleep 2 hrs here, and 2 hrs over there and so on.  Good Luck
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:44:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Been there done that.  I worked a 10pm-6am shift for several years.  I also kept my 1 year old daughter during the day time to avoid outrageous daycare fees.  My wife just couldn't get it through her head that she either needed to work 7am-3pm so that I could sleep 4pm-9pm or she could work 1pm-9pm so that I could sleep 7am-noon.

She wanted to work 10am to 6pm.  When the fuck was I suppossed to sleep?  I was willing to take a bullet and sleep when my daughter took naps but I also would like to sleep while my wife was at home.  She just needed to be home on one extreme end of my shift.  

You really get to see how selfish some people are when you work mid shift.  Turn off the phones, lock the doors, disable the doorbell, block the windows, hate the lawn mowers, and try not to be completely pissed off at the sales jerks that beat on your door for 15 minutes to try to sell you some shit.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:47:24 PM EDT
[#29]
I worked either night shift or mids the first 3 years I was in the Navy.
I could always count on:

MS's (shitheads who ran the barracks) coming in to do a health and welfare inspection at 0900, the squadron duty officer coming in between 1200-1500 to do room inspection, the common area maids banging on the doors with vacuum cleaners or wiping down the walls, shithead room mates who worked days coming in at noon for lunch and coming home from work at 1630, getting called into work to explain what happened during the shift (as if the page and a half pass down didn't cover it).

Payback was a bitch though.

I worked overnights at Home Depot as the freight crew supervisor, I went into work at 2100 and left around 0800 or so.
I stayed up until 1200 or so, then went to sleep.

My wifes friends could not understand why our phone was shut off or why they could not come over to visit when I was sleeping.

You need to set your hours and stick with them, let everyone know what they are and why.

There is not much you can do with your grandparents, although it seems that they care about you.

Soft foam earplugs and a fan are your friends.

I used to leave the TV set tuned to the NFL Network, that shit would drown out any background noise and put me right to sleep.
The only downside is that now if I start watching the NFL Network and I hear Rich Eisen I'll start nodding off.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:51:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're both 17(twins), they won't be getting their license until November(over populated school, couldn't get into drivers ed). I can't blame them for not wanting to drive. I can't get insurance to cover them until they get a license, and no license+no insurance is an $1100 ticket.

Am I reading this right?  You are paying for insurance for your GF and her sister?????
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Am I reading this right?  You are paying for insurance for your GF and her sister?????

No, ATM I am only paying for myself. She has already agreed to pay half the insurance bill when we can get her on.

The sister, I don't trust her to drive(manual), so she won't be on the bill anytime soon.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm hoping that she'll learn to live with me having to sleep during the day. The whole reason I got the job was so that we could get our own place.

ETA: I gave up, I'm going to get some gogo juice going through my veins. I don't work tomorrow so I'll catch up my sleep then.

So you're getting this job so you can get your own place......... with your 17 year old girlfriend? Pray tell, how old are you?

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:58:09 PM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:58:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

So you're getting this job so you can get your own place......... with your 17 year old girlfriend? Pray tell, how old are you?

ETA: Guessing (hoping?) 18-19?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:00:27 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Sounds like you need to stop being a mangina and kick your gf to the curb...tell her to get her own breakfast lunch and dinner and find her own ride to work....

...  at least grow a backbone and let everyone know you need to sleep. that or they can give you money so you don't have to work a night shift.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:04:46 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh you are so owned....

Edit; in all seriousness, the number of reliable and trustworthy 17 year old females that can successfully cohabilitate with a S.O. are as rare as ...  something rare, and from your tale of being dragged around for lunch, she is not one of them.  save yourself, and for God's sake don't breed with her.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

36, why do you ask?  

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#38]
This thread took an unexpected turn.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:15:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

20 in oct
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:19:34 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

36, why do you ask?

Now we're cook'n with gas!

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:21:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This thread took an unexpected turn.

Indeed.

OP- let me get this straight now:

You are 20, living with grandparents, working the night shift at the supermarket to get a place for you and 17 y.o. GF to live at, and put her on your car insurance after she finishes her high school driver's training.

To each his own, but that's a pretty big challenge you're taking on!!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

20 in oct

That's code for 19 right?  Did it feel better typing 20 instead of 19?

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:23:27 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I finally found a job, it's not great but it's money in the pocket. I'm a night stocker at Safeway. I work 10PM-7AM, which means my sleep schedule is going to be fucked up for the next couple days-weeks while I get used to it. I have to work again tonight at 10:30

Last night was my first day, and I didn't get off till 7:30am, it's a half hour drive home, plus I had to pick up breakfast for the girlfriend. I get to her house 8:30, don't fall asleep till 930 10am. She wakes me up in a fuss at 11:30 saying she has to get to work. She's bitching at me for being half asleep while I'm driving, come to find out she doesn't even have to be at work till 12:30, and she knew about it.

Then I'm elected to take her brister shopping. Long story short I don't get back to sleep until 2PM. Have to wake up again at 4PM to go to girlfriends lunch, Leave her at 4:45pm head back to my grand parent's house.

Now I'm "to tired to fall asleep", lay in bed until 5:30, my grandparents come home. I sleep in their basement, and the upstairs floors squeak really bad. They're making themselves dinner  so they're moving around a lot, the kitchen is also right over where I sleep. So I just say "fuck it, I'll have to rely on 5 hour energy shots and coffee to stay awake tonight". I turn on the lights and start looking for some ear plugs that I vaguely remember having somewhere.  

They call down and ask if they woke me up, I lie to them and say no. They ask me if I want them to leave and I say no again. They don't listen to me and wrap up their dinner(not  ready all the way) and take off. So Now I feel like a major ass hat who just kicked his grandparents out of their own home.

Sorry for the incoherent micro rant. I'm tired frustrated and guilty

I'm going to take advantage of my grandparn'ts generosity now.

Welcome to night shift.  Get used to it.  I've worked nights (11pm-7am) for about 6 years.  I still have people wake me up for stupid shit.  Not daily, but probably twice each week or so.  People just don't get it.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:23:46 PM EDT
[#44]
ummm....these 17 year olds...

Do they have parents that still exist?  Serious question...not a slam.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:25:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Pics of the GF or GTFO!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:26:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Sounds like someone needs a selfish bitch reality check.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That was my experience while working intra sort at UPS too.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Get you a new hag......is three extra for every guy out there.I work nites and did not get sembelance of sleep for four months ..same shit so got me one that has been spayed (No Kids or posiblity of any) and works nites also........fat and happy now.Just mention you are either sleeping  in peace or she is going away
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:33:15 PM EDT
[#49]
get a new gf
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

get a new gf

Yeah time for your girlfriend to kick rocks OP. You don't need a new girlfriend. You don't need a girlfriend. Focus on getting your shit together and out of grandpa's basement.

Not getting an apartment with 17 year old twin girls and paying for their car insurance.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top