BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2010 4:05:01 PM EDT

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:06:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice score!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Also picked up McCartney's Band on the Run and a Billy Joel record for mrsdoublearon.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:24:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Also picked up McCartney's Band on the Run and a Billy Joel record for mrsdoublearon.
If it's anything after The Stranger, I hope she's using it for a craft project.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:29:43 PM EDT
[#5]
What's a record store?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:30:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I hope they gave you one hell of a discount.  They only gave you one foot.  You know how hard it is to find a store that sells only one shoe let alone finding another foot?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What's a record store?

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it's anything after The Stranger, I hope she's using it for a craft project.

That's the album I got her.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:44:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I hope they gave you one hell of a discount.  They only gave you one foot.  You know how hard it is to find a store that sells only one shoe let alone finding another foot?

I was expecting the usual "Wow, doublearon, those combat boots really fucked your feet up!" jokes.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:44:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Took mrsdoublearon to see Chuck two summers ago in Norman. They have a Jazz in the Park thing every summer. Few months later, half his band died in a plane crash.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:54:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice score on the Brubeck album.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:54:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Did you get Low Rider?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#13]
You got that off iTunes?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:52:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

It's got a bunch of the stuff he did experimenting with nonstandard(for jazz) time signatures.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

You got that off iTunes?

Fuck iTunes. Right in the ass, with a big rubber dick.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Take the Brubeck out of the jacket and look at the label.  Is it solid red, does it have '2 eyes' (CBS logo) or 6 eyes?  Here are some pics.

How's the vinyl?

Chris

ETA:  Sorry, linked pictures failed, so I found a few more.

Columbia 6-Eye, for STEREO LPs, 1958-1962

Columbia 2-Eye from 1962-1970

Solid Label, no 2 or 6 Eyes, 1970 until they stopped in the late 80s, early 90s due to CDs.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice!
No pics, but I picked up a pile of LP's as well, this weekend. I'm a pretty happy dude, right about now.

EDIT: I have a few Dave Brubeck Quartet albums, and I love them. Good find.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:03:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's got a bunch of the stuff he did experimenting with nonstandard(for jazz) time signatures.

I have that album.  My copy is the one my Mom bought back in the day.  Your copy is in much better shape than mine.

I transferred it to HD about ten years ago.

Much to the chagrin of Her Imperial Majesty, I still cling to 600+ LP's that I won't get rid of.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:13:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Take the Brubeck out of the jacket and look at the label.  Is it solid red, does it have '2 eyes' (CBS logo) or 6 eyes?  Here are some pics.

http://heroinc.0catch.com/columbia/col-2mono.jpg

http://heroinc.0catch.com/columbia/col-3mono.jpg

http://heroinc.0catch.com/columbia/col-5.jpg
How's the vinyl?

Chris

No scratches on the vinyl. It's really in as good a condition as I could want. Paid about 7 bucks for.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:16:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Thank the Lord I have no idea who any of those people are
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a pile of records sitting in my basement collecting dust. No record player and I will never buy one but, for some reason I still won't throw them out.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I used to play that Chuck Mangione album for the water-ski show at the resort I worked at.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I have a pile of records sitting in my basement collecting dust. No record player and I will never buy one but, for some reason I still won't throw them out.

NEVER throw them out. If anything, give them to somebody who owns and listens to his turntable daily (me!)

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:29:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NEVER throw them out. If anything, give them to somebody who owns and listens to his turntable daily (me!)

It's my thread, I have first pick.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:47:00 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's my thread, I have first pick.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#27]
When you say "record store", you really meant "garage sale", right?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:54:06 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or save them for a Zombie Outbreak!

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I don't know where you live in Ohio, but there are 3 record stores (I mean, all they sell are vinyl records, both used and brand spanking new) inside a 30 minute radius of my house.

There are Cleveland bands that don't even release CD's. You buy the LP, and it comes with a URL to download the tunes for free (with a code).

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:59:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Wait... Chuck Mangione is a real person?    I seriously had no fucking clue.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know where you live in Ohio, but there are 3 record stores (I mean, all they sell are vinyl records, both used and brand spanking new) inside a 30 minute radius of my house.

There are Cleveland bands that don't even release CD's. You buy the LP, and it comes with a URL to download the tunes for free (with a code).

Well duh.  The three stores probably opened when they learned you were living nearby.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well duh.  The three stores probably opened when they learned you were living nearby.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:08:06 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Yup.  I thought I read somewhere that he died, but his Wiki page says he's still kicking.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or save them for a Zombie Outbreak!

http://content6.flixster.com/question/36/58/39/3658392_std.jpg

Or in case Martians invade.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:11:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Unless you have the Beach Boys Pet Sounds in mono, you don't have a record collection... yet.

I've got it in both mono and stereo.  (And there were two different cover shots.)  

But so far, looking good.

For all you guys with turntables, as you may know, OEM replacement stylii are almost impossible, but there are some great aftermarket stylii by a Japanese company called JICO.  Not many years back I would have said nothing but OEM, real Shure, etc.

http://www.export-japan.com/marketing/stylus/

Also, check your cartridge... some share the same cart body, but with different grades of stylii, and being labeled differently.  You can many times use the next higher grade of stylii for a good improvement.  An example, using the Shure N99E stylus, or N111E on an M92E cart body.  Most of the sound quality is in the stylus, not the cartridge itself.

These are also good cartridge/stylii shops.

http://www.lpgear.com/   LP Gear... also replacements for belt drive turntables.  Good look up chart.

http://www.turntableneedles.com/    Ditto, carts, stylii, belts.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Shure-Phono-Cartridges    

This guy, Ed Saunders, has some good Shure replacement stylii and often has good cartridges.

http://www.ewsaunders.com/

Trust me on this.

I'm open to questions about turntables and cartridges.  Don't know it all, but know where to look.

If you're a newby to turntables my advice is to buy a Technics semiauto turntable, I prefer direct drive, but belt drive is OK.

And for a good value cartridge, Shure is a good bet.  For cheap/good, the M92E is a good start, and easy to upgrade with better stylii.  The M97xE is a good step up.  Or you can use the N97xE stylus on the M92 cart body.  

I've done extensive testing on cartridges and stylii... the sound follows the stylus, not the cart body.  Do this, buy the Shure M92E cartridge.

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=SHEC06&Category_Code=S15

.. and save the stylus for parties, or playing questionable LP's.  For the good stuff, plug in this replacement stylus from LPGear.  It is labeled as for the Radio Shack RXT6, which was in reality, a rebranded Shure M111E.  This was the second cartridge down from the famous top line V15 back whenever.  So, you have near V15 sound for well under $100.

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=RSR16X

or

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=SHSM0111HE

It is actually made for LPGear by JICO.

DO NOT BUY anything "DJ", turntable or cartridge, for good records.  Won't go into details but that DJ crap will destroy good records.

Trust me on this.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Thank the Lord I have no idea who any of those people are

Your musical education is quite lacking.  

You're missing out.  Do yourself a favor... look up these artists on Google.  You'll find Art Pepper, for instance, played with the great Stan Kenton Orchestra at the tender age of just out of high school.  Check out the other bands and artists he's played with, Bird, Dizzy, Blakey, etc.  That's some real chops.

Dave Brubeck... another jazz legend.

DoubleARon has good taste.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.  I thought I read somewhere that he died, but his Wiki page says he's still kicking.

As stated above, half his band was killed in a plane crash.  That might have been what you heard whenever.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:39:46 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:46:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top