Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2010 11:38:37 AM EDT
I am thinking of tearing down the fence and having a cinderblock wall put up.  Brick posts every 8-12 feet to tie in with the house, stucco type finish over the cinderblocks between the 'posts"

Anybody got any tips, suggestions, etc etc?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:41:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I like this idea per FerFAL's suggestions, and the privacy.    Much more secure than chain-link or wood.

ETA: curious about what this would end up costing.  Good luck and don't forget to post pics before, during, after.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I like this idea per FerFAL's suggestions, and the privacy.    Much more secure than chain-link or wood.

ETA: curious about what this would end up costing.  Good luck and don't forget to post pics before, during, after.  

There is the rub.  But the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks as far as I can tell.

Funny how third world countries use concrete fences far far more than we do.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Fairly common out here in the southwest....

The bad thing about them is when the stucco cracks it really looks bad.

Depending on where you're at, the ground shifting due to weather changes (freezing, floods, etc.) may cause the concrete blocks to shift and produce these cracks.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:10:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is the rub.  But the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks as far as I can tell.

Funny how third world countries use concrete fences far far more than we do.

Usually because they don't have much in the way of woods, and a lot of crazy people shooting AK's around them. (like in Iraq)
Wood doesn't stop a bullet like a big thick concrete wall.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:21:32 PM EDT
[#6]
this is common in west Texas, privacy and helps block the wind.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:22:37 PM EDT
[#7]
You need a strong footer. Properly built, it will not crack.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:49:17 PM EDT
[#8]
If you have pets make sure it goes deep enough that they can't dig underneath it, also keep it well away from trees as the roots will break it.
It was a must have on my list when home shopping and I am glad that I have them.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#9]

There is still a back yard and perimeter property fence on the outside of this courtyard wall.

I did this about 20 years ago and knock on wood there is not a crack in it anywhere.  An over sized footer is the reason for that.

It was one of the smartest things that I ever did.  It cuts the wind down a lot, virtually eliminated the mosquitoes/bugs at night and you only see the neighbors when you want to.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You need a strong footer. Properly built, it will not crack.

Like most things, it starts with a good foundation.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:28:39 PM EDT
[#11]
That will make the thieves (and/or their "friends") think that you have much valuable stuff to steal.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:31:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q49/1Bigdogphotos/IMG_3208.jpg

There is still a back yard and perimeter property fence on the outside of this courtyard wall.

I did this about 20 years ago and knock on wood there is not a crack in it anywhere.  An over sized footer is the reason for that.

It was one of the smartest things that I ever did.  It cuts the wind down a lot, virtually eliminated the mosquitoes/bugs at night and you only see the neighbors when you want to.

Holy cow!  Very nice!  Were you a Mexican drug lord in a formal life?  

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:32:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

That will make the thieves (and/or their "friends") think that you have much valuable stuff to steal.

Broken glass on top of the wall...

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Several large dogs within the external perimeter fence and some within will help those "friends" think that they'd much rather choose a softer target.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:48:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Broken glass on top of the wall...

Rusty nails, too.

Caltrops are always fun.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a fence of wild roses about 5-6 feet tall...privacy and deterrence!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top