Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2010 10:16:48 AM EDT
Okay, I don't really "need" one so much as I want one. But I think they'd be cool gadgets to take along on hunts and hiking trips. There's just something neat about being able to instantly know your precise Lat/Lon to within a few feet. I've been toying with getting one of these for years, but always kept putting off buying one. But now the time seems right.

That said, as with all cool gadgets, there seems to be an almost endless amount of choices. I probably don't need one of the really fancy units with color screen and mapping software. All I desire is something that gives an accurate position fix (even when in thick forests) and shows me the time/distance/direction to navigate from Point A to Point B when I set up routes and such.

So what models should I be taking a look at?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:19:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's one I was looking at...  $228 at Amazon

Garmin eTrex Vista HCx Color High-Sensitivity Mapping Handheld GPS

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:22:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Etrex.  Getting a signal in a forest can be a pain in the ass but that's life.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-eTrex-Handheld-GPS-Navigator/dp/B000PDV0CE/ref=pd_cp_e_1
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:23:15 AM EDT
[#3]
This thread is relevant to my interests
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Garmin eTrex Venture

$128

I have the Vista, which has a barometric altimeter and electronic compass. Nice upgrades, but not really needed for a basic unit.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:24:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-eTrex-Handheld-GPS-Navigator/dp/B000PDV0CE/ref=pd_cp_e_1

Yep, and Garmin seems to do the best in that regard.

I'd suggest hitting up the geocache communities and check their reviews, since they are off the beaten path more than most.

From the little browsing I've done, Garmin is the hands down favorite.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:25:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Garmin 60csx is the best. Do you research and you will find out.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:26:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

get the new models (like i linked to). better antenna. if you put on the WAAS and let it cook for awhile they can get pretty accurate. I was within 10' accuracy when compared to a $10k Trimble unit when I used them in the woods.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:26:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Garmin Rino 530Hcx . I used these deployed and bought 2 when I got back, works AWESOME!! Even works well in inclement weather, includes the weather radio.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=8523
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:48:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Garmin eTrex Venture

$128

I have the Vista, which has a barometric altimeter and electronic compass. Nice upgrades, but not really needed for a basic unit.

Hmmm. That one does look very tempting. It seems to have all the features I want and the price looks fantastic.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#10]
How is the battery life on those ones with color maps?

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The eTrex Venture HC looks like it does about 14 hours on a set of batteries. Other models will get longer run times, but 14 hours seems acceptable to me, considering it isn't something I'll be using all that much.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:04:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Garmin 60csx is the best. Do you research and you will find out.

Watch for sales at Cabela's.  I picked one up with Topo for $219 this summer.  REI had them for $200 without Topo.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:10:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

haven't used mine all that much. alkaline batteries seemed to go bad fairly fast. put in lithiums and its been going strong with intermittent use for around a year.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top