Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2010 5:33:15 AM EDT
I came into some unexpected funds and was able to finish my AR, order another Garand to replace the one I sold a few years ago, buy the 1911 I'd always wanted, and buy an HK45c for concealed carry. I'd bought my wife an HK USP 9mm and was very impressed with the pistol. This impression drove me to purchase the HK45c.

Only after shooting the HK45c next to the 1911, I'm totally enthralled with the 1911. I think I put about 100 rounds through the 1911, and maybe two mags through the HK on the last range trip. And even though I haven't shot a 1911 in nearly five years, I'm already shooting it better than the HK, which I've been shooting weekly for about a month.

It seems wrong, but I feel like I have no need for the HK. It doesn't seem like it will be that much easier to conceal than the 1911, I shoot the 1911 better, and the 1911 feels better in my hand. Plus, I can buy Tripp Research mags for cheaper than I can buy HK45c 8 rnd mags, not to mention the 10 rnd HK mags with the extension. There are more upgrade options with the 1911, and its a pistol that can grow with me as I grow in skill. Plus, I'll be able to shoot lead bullets through it with no harm.

I think I'd like to have a fullsize 45 USP, or maybe a Mk 23 as a range toy/camping/open carry piece, but right now, it seems like the $1000+ spent on the HK45c and mags is kinda wasted if I don't even shoot it. What to ya'll think?

ETA: The 1911 is a minty 1988 Springfield Armory with a forged frame and the original warranty card which I have as yet to fill out. It shoots like a dream, feeding wadcutters right out of the box.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:40:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I think you've answered your own question.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:42:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Buy a Glock 19 or 23 for CC.
Keep the HK also.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:37:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Like the 1st post said, it looks like you already made a decision. If you don't particularly care for the HK or plan on ever shooing it then why keep it? I used to hoard guns until I couldn't close the safe then I finally said enough and thinned the herd. Now I only keep what I really like or need and quickly cycle through whatever I get if for some reason it doesn't thrill and delight me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:45:03 AM EDT
[#4]
You have G.A.S.

"Gear Acquisition Syndrome"
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:50:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Do you have debt?  Personal savings?  Emergency fund?  Retirement fund?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:07:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Do you have debt?  Personal savings?  Emergency fund?  Retirement fund?

Credit Card debt paid off, enough savings/emergency cash to live off for awhile, student loans coming down the pipeline in about a year, but should be able to pay them so long as I'm working. Retirement...I don't think I'll live that long.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#7]
sounds like your decision is made.  keep what you shoot well, the rest is for fun or collectable.  If it is neither, sell and upgrade what you use.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:23:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Sell the HK AND the 1988 Springfield. If the 1911 is your thing, get one of the excellent Semi customs. Im a HUGE Ed Brown fan, but Baer, Wilson and Nighthawk are also top shelf. My personal pick is the Special Forces model with out the Special Forces roll mark on the slide.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top