Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2010 9:43:21 PM EDT
Iv'e been with the game since the beginning. I remember the awesomeness I felt when I first played re1 back in the day. Im just curious on other fans take on what they think of the series as a whole. Where its gone, where its going. Me personally, I like the 1st one the best. I consider the characters the best ones in the series. What I never liked is how every game after that introduced new characters and slowly forgot about some of the original characters, and the monsters got more and more unbelievable. So what do you guys think?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:46:17 PM EDT
[#1]
First few games yes, the movies started bad and got worse.  Within its timeframe RE4 was a landmark in great games.  Somehow RE5 disappoints.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:47:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm with you, except I enjoyed RE2 on N64 the most. Also, I can't stand the movies but I thoroughly enjoyed the book series when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:47:50 PM EDT
[#3]
<––-

It's pretty much the one thing I know in life. lol
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah don't get me started on the movies. I don't even consider the re movies a part of it. I don't know what the hell they were thinking making those movies how they did. Other than a few names and places it had nothing to do with resident evil.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:52:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah don't get me started on the movies. I don't even consider the re movies a part of it. I don't know what the hell they were thinking making those movies how they did. Other than a few names and places it had nothing to do with resident evil.

That would be due in part to Paul W.S. Anderson never having any exposure whatsoever to the material, until just before shooting. He had someone load up the game and play it for him.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#6]
i like the movies...theres a new one coming out
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:59:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I loved the originals, though I play 4 and 5.

I still have my PS3 for RE 1-4, the outbreak series, dead aim, Code Veronica and Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:16:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I loved the originals, though I play 4 and 5.

I still have my PS3 for RE 1-4, the outbreak series, dead aim, Code Veronica and Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3.

Yup. I have them for multiple systems too lol And I still play them all as well. My favorite is taking my PSOne <The little one with the flip up screen> with me on long car rides when I'm not driving, and breaking out Biohazard 1 and playing through it again and again. Something about the original voice acting just tickles me a bit.

I do miss my Samurai Edge and my Biohazard special edition watches, and my other Biohazard uniforms and stuff I had. >< I wish I had taken those out of storage when I had the chance!!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:28:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Only RE game I played was on the N64 and I liked it, but somehow missed out on the rest of the series.  Guess I was too wrapped up in Half-Life, add-ons and sequels

First movie was pretty good.  Second one, so-so.  Third one... I wonder how much got left on the cutting room floor because what made it to screen was .

Honestly I can forgo a lot of stuff in a film if it's a fun ride, but the third one just had me .  I really didn't give a damn about anyone in it or what became of them.  Disjointed and forgettable (at best).

I'll give the new 4th film a chance.  The previews looked pretty wild and I'm hopelessly in love with Milla.

The animated film (Degeneration) was quite good I thought.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:31:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Iv'e been with the game since the beginning. I remember the awesomeness I felt when I first played re1 back in the day. Im just curious on other fans take on what they think of the series as a whole. Where its gone, where its going. Me personally, I like the 1st one the best. I consider the characters the best ones in the series. What I never liked is how every game after that introduced new characters and slowly forgot about some of the original characters, and the monsters got more and more unbelievable. So what do you guys think?

You pretty much nailed it. I loved 5 but not for the same reasons that I loved 1 and 3.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:33:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Yea I'll probably go see Afterlife just to see how they wrap things up, and Wesker is in it as his "Code Veronica" self. So it will be interesting to see how they play him out.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:33:32 PM EDT
[#12]
The best Resident Evil was, is, and always will be RE4, specifically for Gamecube.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:37:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The best Resident Evil was, is, and always will be RE4, specifically for Gamecube.

Close, but that honor definitely goes to Biohazard Rebirth for the Gamecube. I love the fact that Capcom specifically re-engineered and revamped the original game for the launch of the Cube.

...I do miss the uncut live action opening though. lol But they did a really great job with the new one. And the really funny thing is I brought my GC and B:R over to a friends house when I bought it, because we were having a lan party that weekend, and all of us stepped away from CS when I fired it up. We all got a huge kick out of it when Joseph died, because his initials are J.F. and he is the shotgun toting member of Alpha team. Well my friend's initials are J.F. and his first name is Joseph, and in CS he always used the M3S90 shotgun lol
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:46:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I would love to see a game with barry burton as the main character and the setting would start after the mansion incident. Barry was cool, I think he'd be on ar15.com in real life.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:04:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I guess that I'm the only one who couldn't stand that fixed camera thing in the RE games before RE4 & RE5.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:31:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I just started playing re2 again on my ps1 again. I'm at Leon's part two.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:30:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Resident Evil=Zombies What ever the stupid shit in the last 2 games are they suck! Resident Evil is dead to me.............................
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:34:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would love to see a game with barry burton as the main character and the setting would start after the mansion incident. Barry was cool, I think he'd be on ar15.com in real life.

You bet your ass he would.

He was depicted as being fascinated with guns from the first game onward.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:54:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Resident Evil=Zombies What ever the stupid shit in the last 2 games are they suck! Resident Evil is dead to me.............................

Im with you. I wish they stuck with zombies. Once they started going to these huge monsters with 10 eyes n shit, and all those non zombie people it started to suck, although I still bought and played them. I just wish they stuck with the original core of the first game.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:30:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im with you. I wish they stuck with zombies. Once they started going to these huge monsters with 10 eyes n shit, and all those non zombie people it started to suck, although I still bought and played them. I just wish they stuck with the original core of the first game.

You can't do that though. A game series has to evolve, or nobody will buy the latest and greatest. If you keep making the same game plot into better looking games, nobody will buy it after 3 games or so. Look at "The Legend of Zelda". That game has evolved massively, but stayed true to the spirit of adventure it inspired. And it's been around for over 25 years.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:24:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't do that though. A game series has to evolve, or nobody will buy the latest and greatest. If you keep making the same game plot into better looking games, nobody will buy it after 3 games or so. Look at "The Legend of Zelda". That game has evolved massively, but stayed true to the spirit of adventure it inspired. And it's been around for over 25 years.

I see your point. True. Most people never heard of re until part 4 came out. RE has a core base of fans, a small base, not enough to keep them making games. So they had to evolve to get a bigger fan base.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:49:49 AM EDT
[#22]
movie's suck games are good
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:06:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Guess I'll be the 1st to say that I like them ALL cuz NEW STUFF KEEPS being developed!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:18:38 AM EDT
[#24]
RE2 was my favorite, played it on playstation. My former BIL bought it the day it was released and that's pretty much all we did for the next 4 days.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:19:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see your point. True. Most people never heard of re until part 4 came out. RE has a core base of fans, a small base, not enough to keep them making games. So they had to evolve to get a bigger fan base.

True dat. To be completely honest, I wish that they DIDN'T have to appeal to a wide fan base. I wish video games could be tailored to a very specific market, ensuring quality in their product the entire way. But alas, due to time constraints and mass market appeal desired by developers to sell more games, this would never happen.

Although, some of the starting programmers design some incredibly awesome games before they get picked up by studios. There's actually a contest held in the US for amateur developers. It's pretty cool.

My favorite game system has always been Nintendo. Innovation appeals to me, and Nintendo delivers. Nintendo has been labeled as a "Kiddy Console" by lots of ignorant people. However if you ask me, it's an "Anyone Console".

If you want a game rated "M", they have them, but most of the games for Nintendo are games that anyone can play.

My Mom and Stepdad both like to play the WII sports and Super Smash Bros, my wife likes that weird surgery game, my son likes to play Raving Rabbids, and I like RE4 and Legend of Zelda.

However, you rarely see a console that consistently caters to everyone with QUALITY games, and Nintendo does it EVERY SINGLE TIME! I admire them and if Nintendo ever dies, a very precious part of gaming will be lost. Without Nintendo and their hired geniuses (Such as Shigeru Miyamoto) I'm afraid that gaming would slow down and stop pushing the envelope.

Don't think it could happen? Look at the movie industries. Almost exclusively garbage. Just as an example, upon searching for top 100 movies of all time I found a list from the American Film Institute. There wasn't a single movie on it that was less than 18 years old. Is this definitive? I say no, but it is very telling.

Sorry for the rant.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:26:10 AM EDT
[#26]
I love them all.  I don't see how we you can say that the monsters/mutant zombies got "more unbelievable."  It's a game about zombies lol.

I personally didn't like the movies at first but they've really grown on me.  Once I realized that they were just very loosely based on the games I started to enjoy them more.  Plus, Milla Jovovich is HOT!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:27:01 AM EDT
[#27]
If you have never played the two outbreaks, I suggest you get them.

I always play as Kevin (the RPD officer) since he carries a 1911A1.

Much more like RE1 when it comes to finding ammo, but graphics are exponentially better (both are PS2 games that were released 3-4 years before the PS3).
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:30:38 AM EDT
[#28]
I loved the first two games, the third was okay, 4 was the best in terms of gameplay...but the environments were pretty bleak...and I miss playing as Claire Refield in that one, 'code veronica' was very good as well...I have not played '5'...to me the newer games are a bit too 'fast'...too much going on and way too hard.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:32:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, Barry would be on here but Claire and Jill will always be my favorite res evil characters.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:38:25 AM EDT
[#30]
RE 4 and 5 only share the title of RE in common with the originals.

I wish they would go back to the original style...

i have beat every RE including  Umbrella Chronicles for the Nintendo wii and Dead Aim for the ps2.

The best have been RE 1 through 3 the rest were RE by title only code veronica was good too but not as good as 2 or 3
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:24:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, Barry would be on here but Claire and Jill will always be my favorite res evil characters.

You and me Whirly
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:14:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Meh. the movies have too much action. IMO a zombie movie should be more about the survival and horror.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#33]
only played 5.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:00:28 PM EDT
[#34]
They were ok, but Silent hill was/is better!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:03:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Silent Hill was in the same genre, but didn't have the same feel to it. Was still a great game though. And Pyramid Head for the fucking win.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:08:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Silent Hill was in the same genre, but didn't have the same feel to it. Was still a great game though. And Pyramid Head for the fucking win.

Silent hill the room, had to be the creepiest game I've ever played.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:22:05 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm not very good at video games. I've made it 1/2 way through RE4 and played RE5 for about 10 minutes. I played the first level of Outbreak but that was it.

The books were like popcorn. Read the whole series in a day. Was alright.

The movies are ultimate fun for me. Just a mindless thrill ride. Third was the best so far and have been planning to go see 4 in IMAX for months. Can't wait.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#38]
played and enjoyed ll the games PS/PS2/PS3 all the movies were fun
hell i love the franchise it has its problems but nothing is perfect
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:18:07 PM EDT
[#39]
I've beat RE1 remake on gamecube, RE2 on my computer, RE4, and RE5

I could never finish code Veronica...it bored me after awhile.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top