Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2010 6:42:27 PM EDT
my wife found this kitten about 2 months or so ago,under our house. seems the mother left it and it was only a few days old, so the wife even had to bottle feed it. we have tried to give it a good home,dumped $$ at it taking her to the vet, but this thing has turned in a devil, always biting and just sneaking around waitng to attack, and always running around like it has lost its freaking mind...
its a female if we get it fixed would that calm her down?? is there any other things we could do to make me not want to kill it??
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:51:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a normal kitten to me.. Just wants to play. Pick up another kitten so it has a pal to play with.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Sounds like a normal kitten to me.. Just wants to play. Pick up another kitten so it has a pal to play with.

Yep, after about a year, they calm down and become lazy.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:55:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:55:48 PM EDT
[#4]
http://www.vetinfo.com/kitten-biting-scratching.html

Instant correction usually works fine, I think.  Don't punish, cats don't understand that, but just correct.

If he scratches your furniture, move the scratching post to right in front of the spot he scratched, then let him see you scratch it a few times so he gets the idea.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:56:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My first "First post nails it"
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:59:44 PM EDT
[#6]
And I've been putting out fire......
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Biting like "I'm so feirce! Really! Rawr!" or biting to drawing blood?

drawing blood... ears laid back and charges...lol
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:00:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Its normal for a baby kitten to be nuts.. they go crazy all the time, give it some time and it will calm down.

Get it fixed and that will slow it down some as well.

Give the cat toys to play with.. something as simple as a rolled up ball of tinfoil will keep them busy for hours, also they will get tired and sleep.. lol trust me I know.

Keep it busy as a kitten with toys, and pay attention to it when it wants attention and it WILL calm down.

I know.. my first cat drove me nuts.. but now I have 4 and they are all a whole lot more calm.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:03:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Never had that kind of problem but cat bites can get seriously infected.

Impeach Obama for the Good of the Children.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#10]
We had 5 kittens from a litter, and they all played like that.  They were so fun to watch

We have little kids that tortured them, now they are well behaved
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:03:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm a dog guy, but even pups are like that (at least JRT pups), I wouldn't worry about it.  If you wanna have some fun with your new kitteh, tie a helium balloon around it's collar.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#12]
P.S.  Squirt guns are good for training cats.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#13]
it gets attention,we `try` and pet it all the time only for it to just go balistic on our hands or feet...lol its got lots of toys too, i can`t leave anything small and important on my comuter deck,it always comes up missing...
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:06:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
http://www.vetinfo.com/kitten-biting-scratching.html

Instant correction usually works fine, I think.  Don't punish, cats don't understand that, but just correct.

If he scratches your furniture, move the scratching post to right in front of the spot he scratched, then let him see you scratch it a few times so he gets the idea.

we have tried everything in the link... this cat loves water
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:09:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Everything in the house is a toy. How I fixed my cats biting is by jamming my finger down their throat when they bit me.
This works, and quick. Also the bite goes from Nom Nom to GAG!!!!! SPIT!!! Here you can have your finger back.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:10:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

my wife found this kitten about 2 months or so ago,under our house. seems the mother left it and it was only a few days old, so the wife even had to bottle feed it. we have tried to give it a good home,dumped $$ at it taking her to the vet, but this thing has turned in a devil, always biting and just sneaking around waitng to attack, and always running around like it has lost its freaking mind...

its a female if we get it fixed would that calm her down?? is there any other things we could do to make me not want to kill it??

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I agree, cat people do need help.

Have you considered putting the cat down?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Mama cat knew what was going to happen.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:16:31 PM EDT
[#20]
It is normal. Try encouraging playing with toys rather than toes.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#21]
*I've noticed that kittens that are held alot get more like that than those who are left on the ground.

I got a kitten from the pound and when he started getting that way I limited the times he was touched, after a couple of months he got better and settled into life where we don't bite people.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:24:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Red laser pointer.

It's fun as hell for both of you, and it'll get all the prey/pursuit instincts out of her system. And it'll tire her out too.

The other great cat toy that will really give the cat a work out is the little fishing pole with a string, and two bird feathers on a spinner so they propeller around like a fluttering bird.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:27:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I have had several cats over the years. I have noticed that the female cats are a lot more hyper.  Get it some toys and play with it.  It will become comfortable around people.  You should also clap your hands if it acts up, so it knows when it is being bad.

I have a little rubber ball that my cat fetches like a dog.  Sometimes when I wake up in the morning, it is sitting on the foot of the bed with the ball waiting to play.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Find toys that wear it out. I always have luck with a hollow ring you can find that has a ball inside the ring. The hit the ball but can't get it out.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:29:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

always biting and just sneaking around waitng to attack, and always running around like it has lost its freaking mind...

Sounds like it may be a normal kitten.

They all bite and sneak around to ambush anything they can. They are tiny predators. That's why they're fun. I love to watch my cats stalk and ambush each other.

We had one that was truly horrible, but she chilled out and became a real love after we got another kitten for her to fight with, plus she just calmed down as she grew up.
ETA, in keeping with the thread title:

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Post a pic of the kitten. Have you named her yet?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:33:48 PM EDT
[#29]
play with it, a used shoestring slithering along the floor is a great cat toy, just as the cat pounces you can yank it away fast.  Don't yank it hard if it's in the cat's mouth or the string's in the cat's claws
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:34:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

this... anything else said is wrong.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:35:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Biting like "I'm so feirce! Really! Rawr!" or biting to drawing blood?

drawing blood... ears laid back and charges...lol

Ice cold water in a spray bottle works wonders.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Get toys that look like a real mouse and tie it to a string. You'll be teaching it a useful skill.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:34:10 PM EDT
[#33]
My mom has a cat the same way. My brother brought home a female stray that turned out to be pregnant. Went into labor, two stillbirths. Several days pass, movement felt in cat's tummy. My mom took the cat to the vet and paid some $300-$500 to have a C section and spay done to save the kitten. Momma cat never produced milk, had to bottle feed kitten. grew up, kitten is not 20+ pounds, spayed, and FUCKING VICIOUS!. I've literally been attacked by her, my brother has been bitten badly enough to draw blood(I was wearing long pants and jungle boots, was able to kick the cat away). Cat is so aggressive that my mom doesn't get to babysit our daughter at her house. I don't want my kid in the same house as that cat when I'm not there.
If the cat's nasty now, calm her NOW, or give away or euthanize. If she turns out like my mom's cat you will NOT like the situation. I've seen fighting pitbulls that were friendlier(a friend had a pit that had been confiscated from a fight ring, scars all over the dog from fights. I never trusted the dog, but the dog never caused a problem either). This cat is the only cat I've truly wanted dead.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:35:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Never had that kind of problem but cat bites can get seriously infected.

I got blood poisoning from a cat bite in the hand a couple years ago, and the rabies shots too

Don't forget that cat scratch fever kills people. It's not just a Ted Nugent song.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:38:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this... anything else said is wrong.

I'd normally agree, but after the way my mom's cat turned out not so much.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#36]
dude. It is a kitten.  My cat danger still does that at 2 ears old.

every night at 8 o clock after i put my daughter to bed he goes from nice kitty to Im waiting around this corner to pounce on your leg and bite you kitty for about half an hour.

get a laser pointer ad wear the little fucker out.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:44:21 PM EDT
[#37]
If it's just energy draining in a frenzy, it's just being instinctual and having fun.

If it's being mean, wait until the next time it fucks up.  

Walk up and pretend to look at some thing else.

When the cat fucks up, give it a firm touch that simulates a bite (watch the dog whisperer) at the top of the front shoulder.  

After correcting it, keep staring at it and make it walk away first.

After that the cat should start seeing you as dominant.  Be sure to reward good behavior with affection and kitty treats.

Keep in mind, if it is a kitten, you gotta wait til it's at least around 6-8 months before giving corrections.  When they're young they're just full of piss and vinegar and like a baby, they don't really know what they're doing.

Mine will still play bite and tackle my arm and sometimes scratch but it's not malicious.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:50:02 AM EDT
[#38]
This is THE WIFE we have had the kitten since the beginning of April so it is almost 6 months old.  Her name is Nessie.  She was named for a character from the Twilight book series.  (If anyone here has read those you might know of the Nessie I speak of.)

We have done the spray bottle .. the yell/loud noise/ .... the clapping hands... the simulated biting...  the laser pointer... the toys... everything I can find suggested on the web.   This kitten is more than just playful ( we have had kittens before... none like this HELL Spawn)!!   It's is more than just the kittenish stalk and attack, this kitten will not only attack but will make repeated attacks till blood is flowing freely from multiple bite/scratch marks.  And then seems to get some perverse pleasure out of sitting back and glaring at you as you wriggle in pain!  

Nessie does not purr.  It is either Growling, Hissing or Snorting if she is making any noise at all.  Usually it is just SILENT and DEADLY!  

We have an inside dog, so the kitten has a companion.  Nessie will nip and kinda play with the dog, but dog mainly ignores kitten.  Nessie prefers the taste of human blood I suppose.  I am afraid of what Nessie might do to another kitten..LOL.

If you try staring at her when you correct her for attacking, she will sit and stare back with her tail flipping rapidly til she's had enough of looking at you and then she will LEAP at the closest body part she can find be it hands, feet, or face.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:06:51 PM EDT
[#39]
CCI = Cat Corrections Institute.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#40]
If she's being too mean, then the next time she genuinely attacks you, immediately respond by saying ow, grabbing her, and throwing her across the room.  

Try not to hurt her, but make it clear that a little cat has no business attacking a five-six foot tall human.

Go over and give her a hug and apologize after, but the point is to teach her that you have instincts too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

+1 on getting another cat - My niece had a demon cat that she raised from just a few days old.. BUT she brought home a new kitten a few weeks ago and the demon cat did a 180 and is now very friendly and loving..

Brian
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:44:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 on getting another cat - My niece had a demon cat that she raised from just a few days old.. BUT she brought home a new kitten a few weeks ago and the demon cat did a 180 and is now very friendly and loving..

Brian

When there's more than one it creates a pack mentality.

Then you take the leadership role.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:18:07 PM EDT
[#43]
thanks guys for the replies... but i really don`t want another cat.... i guess i`ll have to keep fighting this one for a while more....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top