Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2010 9:35:37 AM EDT
The price was right, guy said it didn't run but he hadn't personally tried to run it. Now if I can just figure out what it is and who can get it running (after I try some fresh gas in it)

Bonus pictures of the tools I picked up also:

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:45:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Very cool!  I have been going to the local flea market to buy my tools.  Most are in great shape and are a fraction of the price as new ones.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:46:31 AM EDT
[#2]
How old do you think that chainsaw is?

I googled sears ranger and nothing useful came up.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:49:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Just want to let you know im jealous as fuck
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:59:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Get thee some EvapoRust from Harbor Freight and soak those tools in it for a few hours...rinse with water and lightly oil...

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:05:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There are some numbers on the owner's manual (!) and parts list that indicate a 1969 date, but that could be wrong - but I'm guessing it's at least as old as the mid-1970's.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:09:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just want to let you know im jealous as fuck

Then there's no point in telling you how much I paid for all of it, I guess.

Oh, and the guy threw in (for free) a 1971 (25th anniversary) Gun Digest.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are some numbers on the owner's manual (!) and parts list that indicate a 1969 date, but that could be wrong - but I'm guessing it's at least as old as the mid-1970's.

That's cool. Does it have compression?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:11:29 AM EDT
[#8]
My dad has 2 of those saws.  One is in parts in a bucket.  The other is sitting in his shop with some sort of failure.  I can't recall what the problem is right off the top of my head.  When it was running, it was a solid saw.  I punctured my left knee joint with it so I should know.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I wonder if this is something worthy of the retro forum.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought that toolbox a while back.  Mine looks a little better...
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:25:06 AM EDT
[#11]
you got a sweet ford wrench there.  very handy and can be hard to find!
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:34:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Is that the big adjustable thing on the right side of the tool picture?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:35:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

Gonna borrow a squirt of gas from the neighbor when he gets home, see what happens.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#14]
looks kinda like an old homelite... eta:  a 12, 12xl, or xl.  the older ones from homelite were blue and they changed tor ed in the late sixties i think.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

Gonna borrow a squirt of gas from the neighbor when he gets home, see what happens.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

You are going to need some 2 cycle oil to mix in the gas.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:41:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

...probably like a 16 :1 ratio
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

...probably like a 16 :1 ratio

I'll check the owner's manual. The manual might be worth more than the saw......
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Update: A friend charged me $30 to disassemble the saw, clean it up, adjust the carburetor, replace the spark plug, clean the automatic oiler, and fill it with fresh gas.

He says it runs fine, has a lot of compression and is hard to crank (but has a decompression lever) and the auto-oiler doesn't work reliably, but the saw has a manual chain oiler too, so it ought to work fine for light duty.

That brings the saw up to $40 - with a new plug and a tank of gas.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:31:46 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that the big adjustable thing on the right side of the tool picture?

yup, they can be very handy sometimes!

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:33:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Update: A friend charged me $30 to disassemble the saw, clean it up, adjust the carburetor, replace the spark plug, clean the automatic oiler, and fill it with fresh gas.

He says it runs fine, has a lot of compression and is hard to crank (but has a decompression lever) and the auto-oiler doesn't work reliably, but the saw has a manual chain oiler too, so it ought to work fine for light duty.

That brings the saw up to $40 - with a new plug and a tank of gas.

[Borat] Very Nice! [Borat]

Congratulations on the find!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:42:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Look at the paperwork, there may be a date on it somewhere. My Granddad had one like it in the 60s. Heavy brute. About three weeks ago I bought a nice older Poulan chainsaw with two new chains, adjusting and sharpening tools, and case for $5 and a nice Ryobi gas leaf blower/vacuum for $4. Both worked fine. The guy's Dad passed and he just wanted to get rid of the stuff. Got to love yard sales.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top