Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2010 6:58:42 AM EDT
I was issued the standard large Alice pack. After some major running around with it and doing some hardcore humps I found that it needs to be modified. I got some extra padding for the straps that I am going to sew one when it arrives. What else can I do? What is the best way to pad up the waist area? How can I mod it to use clips instead of the standard slip retainers that it comes with? If any of you guys have modded Alice packs before please help me out
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:06:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Contact Rob over at usgruntgear.com.  He's known for his issue mods.  That's how he started his own company.  If ANYONE can help you, it's him.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:11:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Or, check out tacticaltailor.com
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:16:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Or, check out tacticaltailor.com

I checked them out and all they really have are the super straps which are just padded straps. I figured that I can do that for about half the price. I ordered padding from the IDF store that was designed for rifle sling but should work. Although their waist strap does look really nice, expensive though. Somebody told me that you can pad up the waist by cutting up an ISO mat and using that
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:06:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:12:06 AM EDT
[#5]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=10&t=214382&page=9

Enforcer's HELLCAT mod how-to is on this page and is expanded a bit in subsequent pages of that thread.

Cheers,
~Baker
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:12:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Why is the Army still using that outdated hunk of stinking shit when they seem to be modernizing everything else?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:20:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Why is the Army still using that outdated hunk of stinking shit when they seem to be modernizing everything else?

I have actually been issued ALICE gear that was manufactured in 2003... And issued MOLLE at the same time.. Figure that one out..

To the Original Poster-

Easiest way is to order the shoulder pads, and kidney pads from "Brigade Quarter Masters"... They have some that will velcro on to the old stuff, and will come off easier.

OR

Just find an old foam sleeping mat, a knife, and some 100mph tape and be done..

Remember that if you MODIFY the origial stuff permanently, they (the Army) might not take it back..

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:10:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You obviously have not used the new MOLLE packs...

FWIW I'm a fan of the new MOLLE...apparently the only fan.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 12:33:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have actually been issued ALICE gear that was manufactured in 2003... And issued MOLLE at the same time.. Figure that one out..

To the Original Poster-

Easiest way is to order the shoulder pads, and kidney pads from "Brigade Quarter Masters"... They have some that will velcro on to the old stuff, and will come off easier.

OR

Remember that if you MODIFY the origial stuff permanently, they (the Army) might not take it back..

I am not in the dang Army, FMFCORPSMAN????? Our chain of command, Marine Corps chain of command, urges us to modify them so that they suit our individual needs and comfort.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#10]
lol, the army issues a new rucksack that is very good ACU color.

The old alice pack is a good pack though, the cool guy schools still use them like SFAS. I trained up with mine and got issued another when I want through selection. The pad on the back will chaf/rub your skin off after a while.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:42:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To the Original Poster-

OR

I am not in the dang Army, FMFCORPSMAN????? Our chain of command, Marine Corps chain of command, urges us to modify them so that they suit our individual needs and comfort.

Who are you with that issued a Large Alice?

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:05:26 PM EDT
[#12]
We only got issued ALICE mediums in the Corps.

I still have one to this day.

Been playing with different packs but still find myself cumphy with the tried and true that I know.

I am sure I am also missing out on the curent coolness of this day and really need to gain a perspective on what is better for us common folks. I always hear that ALICE in any form is so 80's and shizzle
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:36:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They are better than that MOLLE shit. I was unaware they were being used still though. To the OP: you don't need any pussy pads.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:24:42 PM EDT
[#14]
same here...ALICE is good shit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:47:06 PM EDT
[#15]
tag for whats about to happen.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You obviously have not used the new MOLLE packs...

FWIW I'm a fan of the new MOLLE...apparently the only fan.

It's OK.  Better to jump than the ALICE, although the ALICE is a shitload better to do JM duties in.  I think MOLLE is better to walk with without mods, then ALICE is.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:43:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To the Original Poster-

OR

When I was in I was issued a small one - as soon as I got to my unit they made me go buy a large one. (If you didn't want to buy your own - good luck carrying your shit in the field.)

They got their brand new POS back when I ETSed.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:55:22 AM EDT
[#18]
I bought the SF sholder straps and kiddney pad from Blackhawk for my Large Ruck. I have used those for the past 13 years. They were not expensive and did the trick.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:50:02 AM EDT
[#19]
The Arcteryx ILBE ruck is the Corps' latest issue item from what I've read, but while it's shaped great for the human back, it sucks ass with body armor.

They're surplusing them off and looking for a replacement, to include the Army's MOLLE ruck.

Did you pull gear from a Navy supply, Marines, is there a difference?

Maybe the Navy's got older field gear, maybe the Corps decided to go back to ALICE until they choose something to replace the ILBE rucksack, dunno...

Anyway, I'd check out lightfighter for mods, there's plenty, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:51:26 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

To the Original Poster-

OR

that

even in 05 NONE of our docs were issued ALICE - same with Regimental level. The ONE doc I saw with an ALICE pack was an old chief who kept his because he liked it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:51:01 AM EDT
[#21]
I always did the cut up sleeping pad and duct tape drill.  Usually also had one poncho folded flat against the frame on the outside, with a second rolled up under my 1950's era buttpack (when I could get away with wearing it and my H-harness).  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top