BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/4/2010 5:55:00 AM EDT
What are the draw backs? Can you put the "books" on a pc after?  etc
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:55:43 AM EDT
[#1]
My GF bought the Sony reader. She hated it. I tried it out, I hated it too.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:56:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My GF bought the Sony reader. She hated it. I tried it out, I hated it too.

Thats the thing I hate to spend the $$$ ....It's for her BDay.................. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:00:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Neither of us liked the way the screen looks. The way the screen turned the pages bothered me too.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:07:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Couldn't tell ya yet, the backorder on the kindle just keeps getting worse. My wifes birthday was the 26th., I 've had one on order for a spell.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:11:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:17:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:19:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Someone got me one and I hated it. Only reason I would use one is if I traveled extensively and didn't want to lug a bunch of books around. Even then I would use it only reluctantly.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:19:23 AM EDT
[#8]
My wife has the low end iPad with the kindle app. More expensive but way more functional.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:25:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I played with my friends kindle, kinda neat but its only a single function device. There are a slew of 7" and 10" color tablets running Android on the market now, many being retailed by noname chinese rebranders. Some major players are working on their versions. They average around $150, have wifi and a browser, color touchscreens and support apps from the android market, like alkodiko and B&N. Much like the ipad but for 1/3rd the price.

Check out slatedroid for reviews and technicals.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:31:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I like the nook better than the Kindle, and not just because I...ahem...work for a bookstore.  I don't know what features Kindle 3 has, but the nook's got the edge over the Kindle I saw with the color touch screen.  I like the ability to search by title, author, whatever, and seeing the covers of the book pop up on the screen - it'd be really easy to pick out the book you want if you only remember part of the title but know what the cover looks like.  And a lot of people do that, you'd be amazed how many people want to buy "You know, that BLUE book..."

Stay away from the WiFi version though.  From what I've read on the internet that version has had a lot more problems and gets returned a lot more.

I wouldn't buy an ereader device though.  If I want something that looks like a tablet, I'm going to get an iPad, not some device that's so neutered it can only perform one or two functions.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:35:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Download the Kindle for PC app for free from Amazon and try it out with a book or two right on your laptop. The books are retained in the app and can be accessed with a click.

I use it for books I don't need to own a physical copy of (e.g. zombie fiction, which is something I get a kick out of).

One thing I really don't like is the lack of page numbers. Not sure if the other readers incorporate page numbers, but the one I'm using is free so I deal with it.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:36:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Android with the Kindle App. It doesnt have the highlight feature or the dictionary but you get the whole Android thing. A bit more useful if you ask me. I use the Kindle app on my LG and love being able to read while my wife runs in the store or something.

The Kindle app is supposed to have an update that will include the highlighter and dictionary and yes the titles can be put on your PC.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:37:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I ended up getting my wife the "Nook" from Barnes and Noble.
She loves it.  The Sony Reader sucks.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:38:59 AM EDT
[#14]
What is Kindle telling you about what for The Wife?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:41:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Wife and I both have iPads.  I stick all my work documentation on it (lots of pdf's).  Wife has kids books, some of which are animated...kids love them.  More money, yes.  But will do quite a bit more than the kindle.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:52:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There is always at Least one........
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:54:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The only real draw back to the Kindle is dealing Amazon.

ETA- In my opinion having played with both the Kindle and Nook, The Kindle is the better hardware, but the Nook has the better software/interface.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:59:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Bought the wife one for Christmas and she was pretty amped about it for a few days then decided she would rather have a nice GPS instead so I sent it back.  I got the pie anyways.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:12:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I got one for my wife last Christmas, too. She likes it a lot and is sitting across the room using it as I type this.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:17:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is always at Least one........

I'll tell you how I like it when it gets here . . . later today.  My wife bought me one for our anniversary.  Been waiting almost a month for it to get here, though.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:26:41 AM EDT
[#21]
I have been debating one for a while now. I think engadget had a blurb about an android reader that was coming out shortly.

The only drawback I see with the ereaders is the same for pc readers. Screens have an edge flicker that causes eye strain, I read to relax or take a skill course not strain my eyes further and on the comp enough as is.

Granted for the author they are making a slaying vs. print.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:27:42 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

huh?

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:30:30 AM EDT
[#23]
My wife is a heavy reader, but she had doubts about the kindle because she just didn't think it would be the same as an old-fashioned book, it would "feel" different.  Then, she handled a "Nook" at B&N and decided an e-book might be just the thing. I researched and compared reviews and came to the conclusion that the Kindle was just better than Nook in many ways, including the price of book downloads. I got her a kindle for last Christmas and she loves it. She's just never without it.

I read as well, and looking over her shoulder as she read, I decided I would like one as well. She ordered a new Kindle3 for my birthday. Because it is such a  "hot item", it took a full 30 days to arrive, due to back log. Amazon's selling more kindles than hardbacks at this time!

When a reader finishes a book, you can "archive" it with Amazon via wi-fi and it is stored there for your reuse indefinitely. My kindle was added on to my wife's Amazon account therefore, all books either of us reads is available for download on the others kindle. A book, when purchased can be downloaded to as many as 6 devices on a single account. That includes kindle e-readers, PC's, I-Pads, I-pods, etc. Free apps are available for all of these at the Amazon website.

Single-function? Well, of course. The purpose is for reading! I might be old-fashioned and behind the times, but I just don't understand why every damn electronic device has to perform every known function. That's just inane redundancy.

By the way, I love mine and think they are the greatest thing since gun smoke!
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:31:45 AM EDT
[#24]
My wife got hers about 2 months ago.  She stares at it all day.  It's awesome, she forgets to tell me to do things and is mainly absorbed into whatever she's reading.  She bought the big one.  She loves the big one.

No need to store books on a PC.  Amazon controls what yoiu bought, so if its lost/damaged you can just re-download.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:31:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have been debating one for a while now. I think engadget had a blurb about an android reader that was coming out shortly.

The only drawback I see with the ereaders is the same for pc readers. Screens have an edge flicker that causes eye strain, I read to relax or take a skill course not strain my eyes further and on the comp enough as is.

This????
The CruzTM Reader
 from Velocity® Micro
""

http://www.borders.com/online/store/MediaView_cruz-reader

http://snipurl.com/11bypq
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:33:02 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

My wife got hers about 2 months ago.  She stares at it all day.  It's awesome, she forgets to tell me to do things and is mainly absorbed into whatever she's reading.  She bought the big one.  She loves the big one.

No need to store books on a PC.  Amazon controls what you bought, so if its lost/damaged you can just re-download.

Weird, I quoted myself.

Anyway, it also saves tons of expense of going to a book store, and storing those books afterward.

Great gizmo.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:34:15 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Amazon controls what yoiu bought,

That really is not a benefit...

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:39:47 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well I agree centralized control can have its downsides - but they aren't like that Apple/iTunes thing.

So far, its been a huge convenience.

In the only unusual situation, there was some series of 8 books, if I remember - and something like book 5 wasn't available for some crazy reason.  Wife called Amazon, and they shipped her that book for free.

Customer service has been most excellent.  My wife is really happy with hers.  It has changed her life for the better in a number of small convenient ways.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:45:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well I agree centralized control can have its downsides - but they aren't like that Apple/iTunes thing.

So far, its been a huge convenience.

In the only unusual situation, there was some series of 8 books, if I remember - and something like book 5 wasn't available for some crazy reason.  Wife called Amazon, and they shipped her that book for free.

Customer service has been most excellent.  My wife is really happy with hers.  It has changed her life for the better in a number of small convenient ways.

Interesting ...Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:49:48 AM EDT
[#30]
It costs $25 a year to use the Amazon.com download service for their books.  The kindle uses it's own wi fi system, which means you don't have to look for a wi fi signal somewhere.  There are a lot of books that are free to download, or pretty cheap.  My wife won a kindle3 and I've been playing around with it.  It's ok.  I don't do a lot of reading anymore, but it saves on buying books and having them sit around.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:51:34 AM EDT
[#31]
I have a Nook, its a different way to read, I love it. The color touch screen is much more responsive than the normal screen, so its much more useful for browsing. Plus you're not stuck with a keyboard when you don't need it.
Regardless of which one you buy, install Calibre on your PC and use it to load content on the device if you download it from alternate sources.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:54:39 AM EDT
[#32]
I can tell you that my wife has sat in the lounge chair on a beach in Jamaica, and downloaded a different book to read while on her vacation.

It was like magic - more awesome than magnets.

All I have to do is pay for her ongoing download of books billed to my credit card.  Really no big deal, and far less costly than if she paid regular prices, after driving to a book store.

She's a reader, and this has stopped adding to the storage of the hundreds of books she's read but won't toss or trade.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:01:55 AM EDT
[#33]
got the Nook as a bday present about 5 months ago, i cant put the damn thing down, ive read a bunch on my team mates Kindle, i think the Nook def. has the advantage with the color touch screen and ease of use.  just my $ .02
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:03:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I can tell you that my wife has sat in the lounge chair on a beach in Jamaica, and downloaded a different book to read while on her vacation.

All I have to do is pay for her ongoing download of books billed to my credit card.  Really no big deal, and far less costly than if she paid regular prices, after driving to a book store.

She's a reader, and this has stopped adding to the storage of the hundreds of books she's read but won't toss or trade.

Does she have the Kindle 3?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:05:36 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

It costs $25 a year to use the Amazon.com download service for their books. The kindle uses it's own wi fi system, which means you don't have to look for a wi fi signal somewhere. There are a lot of books that are free to download, or pretty cheap. My wife won a kindle3 and I've been playing around with it. It's ok. I don't do a lot of reading anymore, but it saves on buying books and having them sit around.

Theres no fee to download Kindle books.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:07:23 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

got the Nook as a bday present about 5 months ago, i cant put the damn thing down, ive read a bunch on my team mates Kindle, i think the Nook def. has the advantage with the color touch screen and ease of use.  just my $ .02

Even though my wife has that Kindle, I would agree there are competing devices that do essentially the same thing.

The battery life of the Kindle is extremely long between recharges, perhaps due to lack of things like color, or back lighting.

Part of the Kindle's success in my wife's opinion has been the ease of obtaining material.  So far, Amazon has earned her appreciation.

So while Kindle is one type, do look at others because while my wife is happy with what she does - there may be something about other units that may be appealing to you.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:09:24 AM EDT
[#37]
My wife has a Nook that she loves.

I've tried reading on it and don't care for it.  I also hate the way the pages "turn".
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:16:05 AM EDT
[#38]
I was an early adopter of the kindle, and now have the Kindle DX (the large one).  Getting up in years and usually need reading glasses for paperbacks or mags, but the kindle allows you to change the font size so no glasses needed.  The books used to be capped at 9.99, but the publishers threatened to pull out of the ebooks unless they set the prices.  That's a downside.

Upside is you can maintain sync with the kindle, a PC/laptop and an android phone at the same time.  Will always know where you stopped reading and you can bounce between them.  Have never had a problem with it, and 1 book or 1000 books it's the same weight/size.  Amazon has the store/kindle sync down cold.  Never any issues with it. You can also do email/surf the net on the kindle through their whispernet service (slow, mostly text but still works).  You can search/buy books without a PC.  I have been at airport book stores, found a book that looks interesting and then went on the kindle to purchase.  Had the book in 2 minutes.

No experience with the other readers, and not saying Kindle is the best but I am very happy with mine.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:19:14 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does she have the Kindle 3?

I'm not sure what model it is - I can tell you it is the large size, with built-in wifi.  I don't think there is any cost to download, just the cost of the book.

I'm texting her to ask...

I asked, is your Kindle the model 3? - and she replied "I think so".

The deal is basically this - You buy into the Kindle "club" by getting it from the only source that sells the device (Amazon) and offers the bulk of books.  It may not be cheap, nor can you get a new one cheaply on eBay by bypassing the distribution channels.

My wife is not technical in any way - which is completely different than me.  That said, she's needed no help in setting up and using this gizmo.  She really enjoys it, and all the convenience.

I have to say that as a husband, I am pleased that she has been so pleased with this thing.  Its been trouble free, and I like the fact we spent good money on a good product that hasn't let my wife down.

ETA - after examining the gizmo, the only place with a model number is in tiny print on the lower back, and it says: D00801

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:22:14 AM EDT
[#40]
I got one of the early ones as a gift and I still enjoy using it. If she only plans to use it for books then she will enjoy it too. The only problem I have is if I start reading before bed I tend to lose track of time easier than if I were reading a hard copy of the book.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:27:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Bought the wife a Nook last month and she loves it. She chose it over the Kindle as she didn't want to be a slave to amazon's format, Plus she can check out books though the local library for it and read her favorite newspapers as well for a small fee. Nook is open source as opposed to Kindle and she feels it's much more flexible.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:37:04 AM EDT
[#42]
I have a Nook and love it.  The way pages turn was annoying at first but I got used to it.  No book stores near me  so getting a new book instantly is great.  Drawbacks?  Some people like to hold a real book, I don't care.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:43:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Here's a good compilation/overview of the pros/cons of various e-readers currently on the market:

How to Buy an Ebook Reader

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2357102,00.asp
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:59:53 AM EDT
[#44]
I bought one for my wife, shortly after the second generation Kindle came out. Her and her kindle are like Linus and his blanket, they are never far apart. She absolutely loves it.  I was going to have her download the book about Heimo Korth for me, but she forgot and I couldn't have gotten it away from her long enough to read it anyway. So I've never used it.

It is designed and built for one purpose, to read books from. And it does a very good job of that. The screen is designed for reading and causes much less eye strain than trying to read on the PC.

It is very convenient and has incredible battery life.  We have bookcases full of her books around here, and of course we can't part with any of them, but she hasn't bought a single book since getting the kindle.

One huge advantage for her is that it keeps track of what she's read. There have been times that she bought a book thinking it was a new one in a series, only to find out that she already had it.  Besides being able to store hundreds of books on the kindle, Amazon also archives all your books so if something were ever to happen and your kindle crashed, you can get it all back from the archives. Or if you just want to read that book again.

She's never used an IPAD but we looked at them in Best Buy, she thought "oh cool" but decided her kindle was better for reading. One of her friends has a nook and honestly it's about the same, just a different company. Kind of VHS vs Beta.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:45:50 AM EDT
[#45]
How about 2,856,000 free books available for your Kindle?  http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=2245146011
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:19:00 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

How about 2,856,000 free books available for your Kindle?  http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=2245146011

Gutenberg

ManyBooks.net

baencd at the Fifth Imperium

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This????

The CruzTM Reader

from Velocity® Micro

""

http://www.borders.com/online/store/MediaView_cruz-reader

http://snipurl.com/11bypq

Identical to the paandigital Novel from kohls, walgreens, bed bath and beyond, or BJs for $149. Runs an optimized android 1.5 "cupcake". Resistive touchscreen, comes with either b&n or borers e-reader preinstalled.

The augen from kmart runs android 2.1. Fast browser. resistive touchscreen. $169. Android market is disabled. Installs of apps via SD easily enough. Rooted. Source code just released.

Apad from ebay. Find reviews online. Dealextreme sells them.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:59:41 AM EDT
[#48]
A tablet PC is nowhere near comparable to a Kindle or Nook for reading, the bright, backlit display is hard to read in bright sunlight, burns battery power like crazy and is tiring to read in a dim room. Several of my coworkers have both a Kindle/Nook and an iPad.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#49]
i have a kindle 3 i  have had it since the 27th. i was one of the ones that did get the release date  delivery. i looked at the nook. coworker has the nook. it was ok. the new Kindle reads nice has a better screen than the nook. has a month battery life.

the issue i see is what do you want it to do? its not a all in one like the ipad. it is just a e reader. it does that very well.  thats all i wanted was my library in on place.  i have found some books allot cheaper than there paper back or hard back version. some are not.

was it worth 189. i am not sure yet.

Ronald
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
i have a kindle 3 i  have had it since the 27th. i was one of the ones that did get the release date  delivery. i looked at the nook. coworker has the nook. it was ok. the new Kindle reads nice has a better screen than the nook. has a month battery life.

the issue i see is what do you want it to do? its not a all in one like the ipad. it is just a e reader. it does that very well.  thats all i wanted was my library in on place.  i have found some books allot cheaper than there paper back or hard back version. some are not.

was it worth 189. i am not sure yet.

Ronald

Thanks !! It is between the Kindle and Nook right now
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top