Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2002 7:07:25 PM EDT
Just wanted to get the input from those out there that play paintball.  Do you think that full auto is a good thing or do people abuse it?  What about 3 round burst mode?  I’ve played with semi only and I tell yea, there are people that are cycling a good 500 rounds per minute plus on their semis, so full auto won’t speed them up too much.  I can see full auto being good for suppressing fire, but you can do that with a semi and good shot placement.  So what do you guys think?  
- Sulaco
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 7:19:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I played for a while with a guy that used a Tippmann SMG-68, and he used it the way I used to use my MP5...

If you need to suppress fire, go cyclic.  If you need accuracy, tap the trigger.

It's nice to have the ability to go cyclic (but those 5-round stripper clips were a PITA!) but it's not always necessary.  Besides, with a paintball marker it is not that big a difference between FA and aimes SA fire anyhow, in the hands of a skilled player.  Still, it was nice to be able to lay down a blanket every now and then...

I am assuming that the FA markers are no longer using stripper clips?  Are they finally going hopper feed?  How did they get away from breaking balls, and what's the cyclic rate for FA?  I don't think I've ever pushed my VM-68 past about 200rpm - but I've never needed to...  It don't chop balls, either...

FFZ
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a Tippman 98custom with a response trigger kit. The RT uses blow by CO2 to push the trigger forward after each shot. When firing full auto the trigger kinda pulses under your finger( its kinda like powered bump fire)
It works REALLY well. I dont have the gobs of cash to drop on paint like a bunch of the rich brats I play with so I am conservitive w/ paint
I usually fire in 3-5 rnd bursts. The ROF is adjustable with the RT by opening/closing the valve(its a simple screw)that allows the blow by CO2 to reset the trigger.
Tippman claims that with a powerfeed the RT kit in the 98 will cycle up to 11 balls per second. I usually keep mine at about 6 BPS and verry rarely chop balls.
Hope thats what you were lookin for,
Echo6
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 7:36:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 9:06:53 PM EDT
[#4]
i cant afford to feed a full auto paintball gun
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a shocker s/f ...

I use it on 3 round burst most of the time and auto when I'm outnumbered or when I want to scare someone to run away (and then shoot them as they try to run away) [}:D]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 11:14:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I am to old and knees are to bad to play but my college age brother does.  He was poking around on my computer and found this thread.  He asked my to post the following.

The use of full auto is not seen much any more very few fields will even allow you to run full auto or burst modes.  In San Antonio you dont see it at any field down here.  The sport is always underfire and well we dont want to scare off future players.  The only time I personlly ever ran my Fly Angel on full auto was during a group we had at the field that wanted to see a full auto marker.  

I am a backer for LSPB High Octain.  I use a 2K1 Ice Blue Fly Angel.  As a backer am to lay down the paint for my mids and forwards.  I can outshoot a full auto marker with my angel on semi.  I also use a Freeflow Autococker with Racegrip  and can do about the same.

I personally think that full auto is a waste of time seeing that most that have used it cant it anything and if they do hit you.  You end up getting lit up with about 8+ bonus balls which for a tourney player doesnt matter but a rec it can turn a player off and make them hesitant to play.

-Sulaco if you have any other questions feel free to visit the LoneStar Message board and post any paintball questions there.

Lance "Wolf" Barr
Backer/Captain Team High Octain
Webmaster LoneStar Paintball  www.lonestarpaintball.net
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 11:54:51 AM EDT
[#7]
A lot of electro guns are adjustable from semi - burst - FA, and allow you to select any speed from 5 BPS to upwards of 15 BPS.

If you are getting an electro, it will probably include FA, and will fire faster than paintballs can feed.  I don't need to go FA in order to get kills, I can't really afford to anyway.  

It's a feature that you won't use all that much, and chops paint if you aren't careful.  It would be nice to have though.  I just wouldn't pay extra for the feature.  I don't think most people use it too much, if at all.  I don't think it can be abused.  Some schmuck isn't going to be made into a better player because he is remodeling everyones bunker with a $1000 paintbrush.  Good players use semi's, know how to move, and are good shots.

If I need serious firepower, I can semi fire 6-8 BPS out of a Tippman 98c with a 14" Lapco Bigshot barrel, otherwise stock, and I get best results when I double or triple tap the trigger.  I am not an expert, but I have gotten lots of experts out!  I need to go more often!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top