BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2010 8:52:26 AM EDT
more info soon

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/at00353174.php

Christchurch population: almost 400,000
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:53:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Hopefully the Kiwis build for seismic events.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:53:29 AM EDT
[#2]
tag for updates
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:57:57 AM EDT
[#3]
News article from last month calling for Christchurch buildings to be made more earthquake proof:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/christchurch/4006872/Call-for-quake-safe-deadline-to-be-shortened

Owners of Christchurch buildings judged most at risk of earthquake damage might get only 20 years to strengthen them if proposed rules go ahead.

A Christchurch City Council hearings panel, which reviewed the city's earthquake policy, agreed time frames for different building types needed to be introduced.

However, it said minor, non-structural work that cost less than $50,000 would not trigger a full seismic assessment of any building.

A key panel recommendation was that all unreinforced masonry buildings be strengthened by 2032 – 10 years earlier than existing rules in some cases.

Panel chairwoman Cr Sue Wells said it needed to balance the economic cost of upgrading buildings to meet earthquake standards with public safety and preserving the city's building stock.

Buildings that needed to operate after an earthquake, such as hospitals and fire and ambulance stations, had the tightest 15-year time limit.

Wells stressed the time frames did not start until July 2012, when assessments would determine if buildings were earthquake-prone, their category and time frame.

The 2012 start date was linked to the next long-term council community plan review which would consider forming a seismic fund to support priority heritage and character-building owners.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:01:21 AM EDT
[#4]
USGS just revised to 7.2 magnitude at a distance of 19 miles, hopefully wont be as bad as feared.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:10:24 AM EDT
[#5]
USGS reporting 411k people in area where heavy building damage is likely.

Quake happened at 4.35am local time. Power is out and numerous aftershocks are reported.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:17:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:25:56 AM EDT
[#7]
34 minutes after being posted here Fox News finally posts about the Earthquake.

Update from NZ:

BREAKING NEWS: A massive 7.4 magnitude earthquake has hit New Zealand's South Island, causing widespread damage and cutting power.

The quake was centred 30km west of Christchurch and 33m underground. It hit at 4.35am and there have been many reports of damage.

It was felt widely across the South Island, including Christchurch and Timaru, and there have also been reports of the quake being felt as far as Wellington. Several aftershocks have been felt.

Colleen Simpson said everyone was out in the street in their pyjamas looking scared and worried. There was no power and the mobile network was failing.

"Oh my God. There is a row of shops completely demolished right in front of me," she said.

Simpson and her young family were heading to her sister's house, where there was still power, so everyone could be together.

Kevin O'Hanlon, from Mairehau in Christchurch, said it was unbelievable.

"Just unbelievable. I was awake to go to work and then just heard this massive noise and, boom, it was like the house got hit. It just started shaking. I've never felt anything like it."

Christchurch Press chief reporter Kamala Hayman said power was out in many southern suburbs.

"The first shake tipped books and glasses off our shelves and we are still getting sizeable aftershocks."

Ryan Shaw, in Christchurch, said "TV fallen off cabinet, books, pot plants everywhere and I'm very shaken."

Roads around the seaside suburbs of New Brighton and Sumner are thronged with cars as worried residents flee any possible tsunami. There has been no tsunami alert issued.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:08:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Radio news was just saying something about looting there already.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:12:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Damn, and we didn't even get to page 2 yet.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:16:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:18:05 PM EDT
[#11]

BREAKING NEWS: A massive 7.4 magnitude earthquake has hit New Zealand's South Island, causing widespread damage and cutting power.

The quake was centred 30km west of Christchurch and 33m underground. It hit at 4.35am and there have been many reports of damage.

Holy shit, that's shallow.  It must have shaken the whole damned island.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#12]
South island, nothing to see here.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

There's nothing to loot in NZ

Clearly they're stealing themselves new girlfriends - sheep.

In all seriousness, hope its not as bad as it sounds.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:21:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Ouch!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:38:09 PM EDT
[#17]

I was there in April- lovely city, and very friendly people.

I hope that no one was hurt.

The buildings looked like the ones over here- ie. not built for earthquakes.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I found a streaming news feed of the TV there.  Apparently, it was only one small store.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:01:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hopefully the Kiwis build for seismic events.

Not so much.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#20]
That's a pretty big Quake....
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:57:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Hi all, what's shaking?

I'm in Auckland, in the North Island, we never felt anything, but I've been told it was felt this far up, so far, almost total destruction, about $2 billion  worth is an early estimate.

Have not heard from family friends in the area yet, but that is not unexpected, I'm sure they all have more important things to do right now.

As far as casualties, no deaths but two peopl in hospital, one in critical condition and numorus other injuries which have been treated and released.

There has been some looting and the cops have put in a curfew of 7pm to 7am in the city itself, but they claim it's because buildings are still comming down.

To add to the insult, the weather is turning to custard tonight in the area, with wind expected to reach up to 130kmph which will topple now unstable buildings, the reain and cold will hit tonight and there are many now homeless who will suffer the weather tonight.

We don't have too much to worry about in Auckland in terms of Earth Quakes, our biggest danger are volcanoes, there has been some worry that these event could cook off an existing volcanoe or even give rise to a new one.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:00:35 PM EDT
[#22]
80 MPH winds?!
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:11:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
80 MPH winds?!

Yip, gusting and there are more after shocks expected, they estimate some could be about 4.5 or higher.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:53:06 PM EDT
[#24]
This hits home for me as all my family live in and around Christchurch, everyone is safe just damage to houses and belongings.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press

I grew up with quakes being part of normal life, it is an active region and not unexpected. Newer buildings are compliant, some others have been retro upgraded, others are just as they were built. Many of those badly damaged were historic homes and a real shame to see them destroyed. State of Emergency still in effect, a lot of the CBD off limits as buildings are assessed. Roads rippled, railway tracks buckled, gas and water lines broken.

Very fortunate that it came in the early AM when most people were at home and not in the city.

High winds expected and snow on its way. Flooding occurred in some areas and the major rivers surrounding the city are rising with people being warned that stop banks may have been damaged and to keep clear as the rivers reach peak.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:46:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Another one this morning, only a 5.1 but centered close and shallow so my Mother said it felt almost as bad as the major one. She was standing at the counter at the time and hung on for dear life. Motion was vertical rather than the sideways swaying of before.

Everyone's nerves are frazzled not knowing what is next. State of emergency extended for another week following this mornings event, all buildings now have to be re-assessed. A workmate has a brother who lives there, his house is toast.

On a good note, beer supplies are now shipping out as 15 container loads were brought down from Auckland, at least one thing is normal...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top