Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:06:16 AM EDT
[#1]
It isn't like she went down to the Px and requested one was it? Sounds like brass saw an opportunity for some good press. Can't blame her if that's the case.

Then again, I have no idea how they are awarded.

ETA
Fowler's helicopter made it to a base where she could be seen by doctors. She had severe pain in her shoulder, which turned out to be shrapnel embedded in her arm from the pinging bullets .

So she deserved it and she was very lucky. I'm glad she is around to recieve it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:08:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Good for her.

In before the haters.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:09:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought these t hings were for injuries?

Not that I have a problem with someone putting their life on the line getting one.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:09:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought the Purple Heart was for harrowing acts of bravery in the face of likely death as well - but a quick google says it's simply awarded by the Prez to those wounded or killed while in service of there country.   I must be confusing it with the MoH.

Congrats to her.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:09:48 AM EDT
[#5]
id say she was damn lucky. just good to see she is ok.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:10:13 AM EDT
[#6]
You guys miss this part?  "She had severe pain in her shoulder, which turned out to be shrapnel embedded in her arm from the pinging bullets ."
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:11:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You guys miss this part?  "She had severe pain in her shoulder, which turned out to be shrapnel embedded in her arm from the pinging bullets ."

Ah yeah, I did.  Good catch
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:11:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Good for her.... I guess.

Maybe they should just come out with pink hearts for near misses.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:12:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What are you talking about?  She took shrapnel in her arm from enemy fire.  Why wouldn't she have earned a purple heart?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:12:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Not that I have a problem with someone putting their life on the line getting one.

According to the story, she did have shrapnel imbeded in her shoulder.  Sounds like a wound to me.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:13:09 AM EDT
[#11]
It sounds like she was actually injured by bullet fragments that embedded fairly deep in her shoulder but that didn't make for an interesting news story so they focused completely on the bullet that went through her helmet and pretty much ignored why she received the Purple Heart.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:13:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I thought I was going to be pissed off based on the title of the thread and the fact that this is GD but in reading the article she did have shrapnel wounds to her shoulder. I thought she was going to get it for having a sore neck or something but as is, no problem, she deserved it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:13:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Good for her
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:14:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Awesome story!

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:16:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I didn't know the US Army Blackhawk medevac's had mounted weapons.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:17:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Did you read the article?

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:17:19 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

According to the story, she did have shrapnel imbeded in her shoulder.  Sounds like a wound to me.

yup.

I missed the line where she actually got wounded as the majority of the story was about the near fatal helmet strike with no injury to her head.  

Digging out metal placed into a service member's body by the enemy fits the criteria for a Purple Heart.  

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:18:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

She wasn't medevac'ing, she was providing support for one
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:19:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Y'all motherfuckers gotta lurn to read gooder.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:24:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I dig combat scars on chicks.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:28:55 AM EDT
[#21]
For those who don't know.....The ACH or commonly known as "The Kevlar" is just a brain bucket.
I't not bullet proof!!!!.... It will protect the operator against shrapnel, low velocity projectile and angled impacts from mediun-high velocity projectiles....
Anyone getting hit with a 7.62X39 round in the "Kevlar" (angled shot), fragments from the round and the Kevlar might penetrate the skin. the operator will have a big bloody bump in the head.

A single 62gr 5.56mm round will penetrate an ACH within 200m

ETA: Metal Fragments in her shoulder due to combat...Yes, she deserves it....

BTW: Chicks with combat scars are sexy!!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:33:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:33:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Sounds like a brave lady to me.

On a seperate note what type of gun would she have been running?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:38:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Did you miss the part about shrapnel embedded in her arm?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:39:36 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

For those who don't know.....The ACH or commonly known as "The Kevlar" is just a brain bucket.

I't not bullet proof!!!!.... It will protect the operator against shrapnel, low velocity projectile and angled impacts from mediun-high velocity projectiles....

Anyone getting hit with a 7.62X39 round in the "Kevlar" (angled shot), fragments from the round and the Kevlar might penetrate the skin. the operator will have a big bloody bump in the head.

We had two guys shot through the helmet.  One lived but only because of modern medicine..round went in and out the helmet and through basically the whole length of his head...lucky guy.

I hated wearing an ACH.  We had a dude that had a round go through it and miss his head but it would have just missed him completely if his helmet wasn't on.  He got a concussion and no purple heart. (rightfully).

I would have paid several thousand bucks and waived my life insurance to not have to wear a kevlar.

The army was talking about an E-ACH (enhanced) that could stop AK rounds but that's just overdoing it...the helmet was going to weight at least 1lb more and that fucker is heavy enough IMO.  It just sucks the life out of you on patrols.  I was 1000x more alert and able to scan faster without several pounds of deadweight on my dome piece.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:40:33 AM EDT
[#26]
God bless all of our troops!
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:40:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It isn't like she went down to the Px and requested one was it? Sounds like brass saw an opportunity for some good press. Can't blame her if that's the case.

Betting that this is the case.

The Purple Heart Medal is awarded for wounds or death resulting from combat with the enemy.

Doesn't sound to me like an actual wound was sustained, an "Oh Fuck! That was close" moment sure. Not an actual wound.

ETA missed the shrapnel part.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:41:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Purple Heart Medal is awarded for wounds or death resulting from combat with the enemy.

Doesn't sound to me like an actual wound was sustained, an "Oh Fuck! That was close" moment sure. Not an actual wound.

another one fails to read the article

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:41:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sounds like a brave lady to me.

On a seperate note what type of gun would she have been running?

Probably an M240 with a "D" kit.  

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:42:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:43:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

another one fails to read the article

That and I hate rotor heads. Already edited there high speed. Calm down.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:43:23 AM EDT
[#32]
John Kerry got....... Oh never mind....

God bless her and all my fellow brothers ans sisters...
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:45:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA missed the shrapnel part.

Might want to read it again.

You'll also notice that she downplayed her part in the incident, and rejected the idea that being a female made her accomplishments special.  Sounds like she said and did everything that Arfcom could want, and people are still bagging on her.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:46:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I thought the Purple Heart was for harrowing acts of bravery in the face of likely death as well - but a quick google says it's simply awarded by the Prez to those wounded or killed while in service of there country.   I must be confusing it with the MoH.

Congrats to her.  

Purple Heart=enemy marksmanship badge
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:47:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dig combat scars on chicks.

...so long as they're not better than mine..
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:49:22 AM EDT
[#36]
good for her and the troopers on the ground.

i would buy her a shot or three

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:51:39 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Good for her.  And I believe the Marines she was supporting while the other birds were getting their wounded buddies' sixes out of harm's way would agree.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

yup, I know I would

Semper Fi hunny
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:54:22 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah yeah, I did.  Good catch

Next time read the whole story

Good job on her part

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:59:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Y'all motherfuckers gotta lurn to read gooder.

Werd!
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:00:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Well done, and thow in a can of brasso.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:00:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Don't your peers or CO have to recommend you for a citation? The way I see it, if her combat buddies say she deserved it then so it is written, so it shall be done.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:01:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Might earn her the CAB too eh? The article says that she was the crew chief and door gunner, and that:
She took off her helmet and saw the hole, and "a good chunk of Styrofoam" missing. Fowler had no idea what had happened, having never lost communication from the radio device mounted in the helmet. "Amazingly, the helmet still worked," she said.
I don't think she was wearing an ACH, but rather a flight helmet which I don't think provides much or any ballistic protection. Glad to hear she's okay.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:01:40 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

She wasn't medevac'ing, she was providing support for one

Article is written terrible...this is how it opened:

Fowler, a crew chief and door gunner on a Blackhawk medevac helicopter in southern Afghanistan, earned the Purple Heart following that incident in May in which she was fractions of an inch from a much more serious injury, probably death.

But, alas, I should have kept reading to where this was said:

In May, she was on a helicopter that was in the role of "medical chase," providing air support to another helicopter sent to pick up wounded Marines.

Op, if I am reading impared then that reporter is reporting impared .

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:01:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

We had two guys shot through the helmet.  One lived but only because of modern medicine..round went in and out the helmet and through basically the whole length of his head...lucky guy.

I hated wearing an ACH.  We had a dude that had a round go through it and miss his head but it would have just missed him completely if his helmet wasn't on.  He got a concussion and no purple heart. (rightfully).

I would have paid several thousand bucks and waived my life insurance to not have to wear a kevlar.

The army was talking about an E-ACH (enhanced) that could stop AK rounds but that's just overdoing it...the helmet was going to weight at least 1lb more and that fucker is heavy enough IMO.  It just sucks the life out of you on patrols.  I was 1000x more alert and able to scan faster without several pounds of deadweight on my dome piece.

I hated the ACH....until rounds start zipping through, inches from your Buddy's head......
Now....the only deadweight in the cool factor is the ACH mounted nightvision google......driving with that shit is awesome....
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:10:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't want to take away from her honor and the fact that she was wounded - but unfortunately the cynic that I am cannot ignore the likelyhood that this was a politically motivated gesture.   Then again, maybe I'm just being a cynical bastard.     I just personally feel that these types of presentations water-down the intended prestige of the Purple Heart  IMHO.

With that said, she still deserves our praise for her service and committment to our country.

Bravo.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:16:17 AM EDT
[#46]

I just personally feel that these types of presentations water-down the intended prestige of the Purple Heart IMHO.

I am not commenting on this article, but I agree with your statement. In Somalia we heard of an Army guy getting a purple heart for falling to dehydration. At the same time, we were threatend with a page 11 if we didn't drink enough water.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:17:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

ETA
Fowler's helicopter made it to a base where she could be seen by doctors. She had severe pain in her shoulder, which turned out to be shrapnel embedded in her arm from the pinging bullets .

So she deserved it and she was very lucky. I'm glad she is around to recieve it.

Basically, if you are treated or determined to have sustained injury as a result of enemy action, you are put in for it.  There isn't an option as per higher, even when some of my guys told me they didn't want it when they got them.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:27:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Now if the story was about a guy everyone of you would be cheering but its not so the haters gotta hate.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:33:24 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Now if the story was about a guy everyone of you would be cheering but its not so the haters gotta hate.

Of course, its ARFCOM.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:36:48 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't want to take away from her honor and the fact that she was wounded - but unfortunately the cynic that I am cannot ignore the likelyhood that this was a politically motivated gesture.   Then again, maybe I'm just being a cynical bastard.     I just personally feel that these types of presentations water-down the intended prestige of the Purple Heart  IMHO.

With that said, she still deserves our praise for her service and committment to our country.

Bravo.

So, in your opinion, her wounds were not severe enough to warrant a Purple Heart?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top