Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/2/2010 8:06:03 PM EDT
I don't think I'm gonna do it again for a while, I missed my turn today, and picked a random driveway to turn around.. The homeowner was driving behind me and waited for me to back out of their driveway..  Man did I get some weird looks.  Do you get mad if people use your driveway to turn around?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:07:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:07:36 PM EDT
[#2]
How far into the driveway did you pull?  

Are you incapable of a 3 point turn?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:08:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Never do it, but don't really mind when others use my driveway to turnaround.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I pulled up just enough to back out of it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:10:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I do it and it's no big deal.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I do it occasionally and I don't mind if someone else does it in mine.  It happens.  

Concur with the sentiment, although it does look strange out of context!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:10:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I do it occasionally and I don't mind if someone else does it in mine.  It happens.  

+1

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:11:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I do it if I have to. If the road is too narrow to do a turn in the street or something. I wouldn't get mad for anyone doing the same either. It's not like you pull all the way into their driveway and get out and finish your coffee then do the turn around.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:11:39 PM EDT
[#10]
all the time. Same thing has happened to me as well. I still do it. I only go as far as the side walk though. I don't actually go on their property.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:12:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Once in a while I will do it, but it always makes me feel weird.

I don't care if someone does it in mine.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:12:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I do it all the time.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:13:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Whats a 3 point turn.. something like a U-turn.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:13:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Sure, why not?  I drive a CJ-7, so it's not necessary very often but when needed I do it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:13:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I never have.  And no one ever does in mine.  But I live at the end of a cul-de-sac, so you'd have to be too stupid to drive to need to use it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I had a woman turn around in our driveway this past summer.  As she backed up she failed to look both ways and hit a car coming up the road (although to be fair, the guy driving up the road seemed asleep at the wheel.  My neighbor, wife and myself all watched in amazement as he made no attempt to hit the brakes, or swerve until they hit).  No injuries.  Her car was totaled (newer chevy cobalt)  his car was fine (mid 80's volvo).  She remained half in my driveway for 2.5 hours until the cops and tow truck showed up.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:14:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:15:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Sure I've done it, and I'll likely do it again.

I always announce, "We're here for dinner!"

My mom usta do that when I was a kid and it stuck.  Now I've got my wife doing it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:16:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:17:57 PM EDT
[#20]
People come down my driveway and pull a U-turn right in my yard every fucking time.

They actually turn off of the driveway one they get past the initial group of pine trees near the road, then whip it around in my grass.

Also the fuckin phone book people (3 of them so far) drive up to my front porch in the grass and pull a U-turn in the front yard too.

Pisses me off.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I do it and its no big deal.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I do burn outs on people's yards.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:20:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
People come down my driveway and pull a U-turn right in my yard every fucking time.

They actually turn off of the driveway one they get past the initial group of pine trees near the road, then whip it around in my grass.

Also the fuckin phone book people (3 of them so far) drive up to my front porch in the grass and pull a U-turn in the front yard too.

Pisses me off.

Now thats fucked up, I would never drive through someone's lawn.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

This.  You'd have to be a really uptight jerk to get pissed about someone using your driveway to turn around.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:23:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I dont mind. I do it when needed. What I hate though and have seen a couple times is somebody will pull in my drive way then stop for a minute to make a call, text, or look over directions acting like its their house n shit. At that point I will go out and confront them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm on the road a lot.  And although I avoid it when possible, I still seem to have to do it quite often.  Never really had an issue.  Some residents/neighbors look, but I don't care.  I don't mind when folks turn around on my driveway, or when the neighbors have a party and park out front.  No big deal.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:29:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Sure I've done it, and I'll likely do it again.

I always announce, "We're here for dinner!"

My mom usta do that when I was a kid and it stuck.  Now I've got my wife doing it.

I'm gonna use that one.  Problem is I don't do it often enough to make it a habit/tradition like that.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:31:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Have had do to it at times and never bothered me when some turned around in mine.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:33:31 PM EDT
[#29]
I do and sometimes the car behind is the homeowner.... I always wave and say "sorry".... have received a few weird looks but that's about it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:34:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Used to live down a winding road that followed the river.  Lots of tourists driving really slow down it and no passing zones for 10+ miles.  Our driveway was wide, paved, and just past a major tourist attraction.  Tons of people in front of me would stop there and use it to turn around or worse yet be nice enough to pull over there to let me pass after I'd been stuck behind them for miles.  Was fun sitting there with my blinker on waiting for them to figure out why I stopped too and wasn't just driving past them.  Annoying at times but didn't make me mad.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:34:50 PM EDT
[#31]
I do it. I've never happened to turn into someones place that was right behind me, but I could see it happen.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:35:26 PM EDT
[#32]
I'd really rather not use other peoples driveways to turn around.  I avoid it if I can.  I don't care if someone pulls in my driveway to turn around, but they should stay the hell off of my lawn,
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:36:09 PM EDT
[#33]
i don't mind but i wonder if people know i am looking out the window with an AK when they do it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:39:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:41:03 PM EDT
[#35]
People's driveways are just as sacred as their lawns.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:44:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:44:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Pisses me off.

"Danger-Caltrops may be present in grass. Use caution when driving across lawn."
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:44:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
People's driveways are just as sacred as their lawns.

You're right.  I turn around on their fuckin lawns too
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:46:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pisses me off.

"Danger-Caltrops may be present in grass. Use caution when driving across lawn."

Yea, that would make my grass cutting a lot slower.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:48:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

First post wins again.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#41]
It doesn't aggravate me.  

A couple weird ones I've seen, once while I was mowing the lawn one person pulled up nearly to my garage door then put it in reverse.  Another time a guy backed into my driveway pretty fast and my garage door was open.  I thought it was someone going for a grab-and-run for some tools in the garage.  I got up from the couch and he already had it in gear and was on his way.

I get more irritated when friends come over and won't use the driveway or RV pad.  Since our garage isn't full of crap we park our cars inside.   I can hold 5 vehicles on the cement so they don't need to be on the street.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:49:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pisses me off.

String 'em on chains.  Quick to deploy, quick to pack up.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those are dangerous unless on a truly deserted street.  

And a lot of residential streets, at least up here, are often too narrow to do it. And it really takes not much more time or effort to pull in and back out of a driveway.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:52:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pisses me off.

Just put a sign out. Actually putting caltrops out would result in a lawsuit and a possibly a some bullshit criminal charge.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:53:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:53:47 PM EDT
[#46]
if its at night I try to turn my headlights off as to not disturb the person, but yeah I do it all the time.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:59:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Yes, I think it's more polite to return his wife as close to his front door as possible in the morning.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Today I was getting ready to get into my car and head off to work when a lexus SUV drove up my driveway. The car parked and an entire family got out in pool party/ beach attire. I gave them the look. The father asked me if this was a non existent house number on my street. I said no and he profusely apologized and sped off.

About a second before he drove up my driveway I was chamber checking my CCW gun. It would have been interesting if he had pulled up a few seconds earlier.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top