Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2010 6:57:35 PM EDT
any suggestions?  I have ZERO experience.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Uh.. Don't?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:59:21 PM EDT
[#2]
get a fiddle instead
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:00:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy a new gun.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Violins is never the answer.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
get a fiddle instead

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

And I thought I had been watching this commercial too much.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aZLw_KBdqc

Seriously, I have no advice but I always did like the violin & piano.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Earplugs....for your family  
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:04:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I've always wanted to learn to play the violin. My family could never afford one, though. Do some research first, and then find an instructor who can help you find a good used instrument and not waste your money on crap.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought one off of ebay about 10 years ago for $99.  I had an instructor check it out and she said it was great for a beginner.  I learned to play a few basic songs and then gave up on it.

My next instrument will be either bagpipes or a banjo
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:08:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got a fair amount of experience with violins - If you know nothing, then don't.  Instead go to 2 or 3 violin shops and ask questions.

If you can't helpyourself,

What kind of money are you talking about?  At least get the info off the paper label inside the body and google it - there are tons of Chinese fakes as well as Euro fakes too.

Loose pegs due to improper fit , cracked side and back joints, misplacement of the bridge etc. all affect sound quality and value.  One piece back or 2 piece? does it have microtuners?  Can you take it to a violin shop or teacher and have them spend 10 minutes looking at it - the difference could be substantial.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

get a fiddle instead

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:08:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I bought one off of ebay about 10 years ago for $99.  I had an instructor check it out and she said it was great for a beginner.  I learned to play a few basic songs and then gave up on it.

My next instrument will be either bagpipes or a banjo

I'm a piper.

I hope you're patient and have an understanding wife.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:08:48 PM EDT
[#13]
It's going to take a while for you to get enough rosin on the bow to actually make a note.  Have patience when you're applying it.  Get one of those rests for your shoulder.  Get a clip on piezoelectric tuner, small enough you can clip it to the scroll or pegbox.  You're going to want it for more than just tuning, you'll also want it when you're getting a feel (and ear) for where the notes are, as you don't have frets, like a guitar would have.  Bowing technique is going to take a lot of work, it'll be tricky to get the angle right to where you're only hitting one string at a time.

That's all I can come up with at the moment.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Same boat plus banjo. I have played guitar for many years since I was a kid and always wanted to try other string instruments. Antique stores and pawn shops always have them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:11:15 PM EDT
[#15]
My wife plays violin. It's all I can do to play Battlefield on the PC downstairs with headphones on sometimes. Practice <> music.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Wait!!!

If your thinking about it, and took the time to post a thread about thinking about it....... Then it's not an impulse buy!!

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Basically you just need to start taking private lessons. After 5 years of learning the proper way to hold the bow and instrument, and how to draw the bow across the strings, you can start playing chords and arpeggios. After 5 years of playing chords and arpeggios, along with learning 20 more ways to draw the bow across the strings, you can learn  how to play a song.

I started playing in 4th grade, in high school I got to tour Europe with an orchestra. One of the greatest experiences of my life. I still have my viola, but I haven't touched it in years, although it has been calling my name for a while.

Honestly, learning to play a stringed instrument is like learning how to be a professional shooter. If you go off on your own, you'll pick up bad practices that will hurt you down the road. It's better to get a professional tutor from the start.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Get the kind with four strings.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Nice.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice.

Yeah, I laughed, too. I can't believe it was ignored until you.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:27:45 PM EDT
[#22]

You bought a $50 violin? I thought those things were expensive? Or is this something that doesn't bode well?

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:29:52 PM EDT
[#23]
No love for the accordion?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:30:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

You bought a $50 violin? I thought those things were expensive? Or is this something that doesn't bode well?

$50 violin is good to see if you enjoy playing and want to spend $5k on one later.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:31:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Get whoever is going to help you learn it accompany you to the music store.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#26]
If by "violin" you mean a violin case that opens up to reveal a suppressed 10.5, I support you.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Talk with your Suzuki instructor and find a good, local rental shop. Use the rental the first few months to start out then if you're still into it, go buy a good one.

I've always liked the Kun shoulder rest. And never skimp on your strings! $10 Steel strings sound like utter crap! And get the good quality, dark rosin. And a real horse-hair bow.

Its all coming back to me! I need to go pull out my violin and tune it up!

We have a crappy $50 one that we have as a wall ornament and its even failing at that. When you're 3 and outgrow a violin like you outgrow shoes, you don't want to spend alot on them (renting is the least expensive way to do it unless you've got siblings who will grow into it as you grow out,) until you reach a 4/4. Then buy the best violin your money can buy. you can always accessorize, like upgrading your bridge, strings, tail, bow, case, chin and shoulder rests.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:57:50 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
If by "violin" you mean a violin case that opens up to reveal a suppressed 10.5, I support you.

My flash suppressed 10.3"  I'm running out of things to spend money on.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#29]
I impulsively bought two - a regular and an electric, both in metalic blue.

They're nice conversation pieces.

Seriously, I can't keep that dang things tuned.  Everytime I tighten the strings they go limp as soon as I let go of the tuner thingies.

But I can rosin up the bows with the best of them!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:08:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, the tracking info says it will be here on Thursday.  Who can give me tips on how to learn SUPER fast?  
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:05:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well, the tracking info says it will be here on Thursday.  Who can give me tips on how to learn SUPER fast?  

Depending on how often you practice, you are going to sound awful for a couple of years.
Unlike guitar, you have no frets so you will sound pretty awful just trying to sound in tune. There is no fast way to get good other than practicing. You bought a cheapo beginner violin so if you actually stick with it, you will find out that the violin is cheap and you will want a better violin. I played viola for like 7 years. I would suggest that you take lessons rather than self-teach.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:34:00 PM EDT
[#32]
I understand that the strings on Violins are tuned in 5ths, but tell me, are the individual notes basically 1 finger spacing apart in any given string?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#33]
UHHH WHY?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I understand that the strings on Violins are tuned in 5ths, but tell me, are the individual notes basically 1 finger spacing apart in any given string?

Yes, basically.  I had lessons for a few years as a 10 year old.  I inherited my granddad's violin (Fiddle) around the same time.  I break it out every so often, and sound like crap.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Learning to play the violin is TOUGH. It's ALL in the bow. The two absolute worst sounding instruments in the hands of a beginner are the violin and the clairnet. Sound like cats and geese dying.

I've played guitar for 26 years. 23 of those years professionally. I studied classical guitar at a university with a great guitar program. I also learned and used to play many violin concertos, sonatas, and partitas on the electric tuitar. So I thought it only natural that I should get a violin and apply my experience and knowledge to that instrument. But alas, while I had great finger dexterity and great picking technique... I was a TOTAL noob with a bow and I just didn't have the patience to work through it.

So I'm not trying to talk you out of it... but I am trying to impart to you that playing the violin is mostly in the bow and you'd better get lessons and have a great player teach you how to use the bow correctly or you'll torture anyone unlucky enough to be subjected to your playing.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Looks like your mullet is too tight!  

Less than 5 teeth in entire head-check
Is your mullet in order-check
unwashed pair of overalls-check
3 legged hound on the porch-check
Jug of 'shine-check
Sis cant sing, chewing 'bacca burned hole in her lip, on the spoons-check

Whats the name of your band?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:51:49 PM EDT
[#37]
$50!!!  Hell I want one...screw that, the case will do
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:55:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Depends on how fat your fingertips are.

I bought a couple of mandolins after the violin thing didn't work out. Same tuning, so I was able to learn those classical violin pieces on them, but mandos have frets and I am able to use picks. Much more comfortable for me.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:56:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

A musician once had a problem with leaving his instruments around the house after practice, and his wife kept complaining that there was too much sax and violins on the TV.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#41]
I have bought a lot of violins off of ebay.

KK music violins are so-so.  They are violin shaped objects, and not worth sinking any money in to improve.

OTOH, Yitamusic is probably the best Chinese violin dealer on eBay. You pay about $100 for their basic violin.  It is, IMHO, a much better value than the $50 KK violin.  Their $200-$300 violins are pretty good for the money too.  Yitamusic posts pictures of the actual violin you're bidding on.  KK posts a generic pic (and you get a very generic violin, spray-on finish and not much attention to detail)

I bought some kind of eastern european violin from Musician's Friend once, just for the heck of it, for $450.  The Yitamusic $99 special blew it away.  I felt lucky that I could send it back and get my money back.

I would recommend selling your KK violin on craigslist for what you paid for it and buy a $100 Yitamusic violin.  Buy some decent rosin and play it for a while as-is (it comes with some half-way decent synthetic core strings), and if you get serious about violin spend another $150 or so for a new bridge, strings, and setup from a local luthier.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

... you'd better get lessons ...

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.  Playing violin isn't like playing the piano where you can muddle through and still sound ok.  The technique is critical and pretty dang hard to pick up without a teacher.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:43:55 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Do this. A lot. Once you can play as fast as him, take a break.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:48:26 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

get a fiddle instead

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Do this. A lot. Once you can play as fast as him, take a break.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aZLw_KBdqc

You do know I had beat you to that right?

In any case, here's another good violin piece.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c24zIkPnLYI&feature=player_embedded
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top