Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2002 1:26:19 PM EDT
I just popped over to Assault Web for a look-see. Not to stir up trouble, but... well...

There are guys seriously discussing the merits of including different types of swords in their SHTF gear. [rolleyes] Now I love SCA as much as the next guy, but still. Some folks need to read fewer action-adventure postholocaust novels, I think.

Is that a common thing over there? I've been here for a while, and most folks are pretty grounded, practical types at AR15.com. Just curious.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 1:28:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
most folks are pretty grounded, practical types at AR15.com. Just curious.
View Quote

are you talking about [b]THIS[/b] ar15.com?
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 1:28:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 1:35:41 PM EDT
[#3]
While the guys at assweb can go over the top sometimes in discussions on SHTF, I don't think a sword is a that ridiculous of an item to have on hand.  I've seen lot's of guys here recommend buying things like two-way radios, night vision devices, GPS units, generators, 4x4's, etc..  Those are all powered by a consumable.  If you're thinking long-term, like several years until things get back to normal, then you are just not going to have replacement gas, batteries, or even ammo available.  In that case, a sword doesn't seem like too bad of an idea.  Think of how many hundreds of years that a sword was the dominant weapon.  I'd prefer a good 6" knife, a bow, an axe (with the ability to use in self-defense or to cut wood), and maybe the know-how to make black powder, but to each his own.z
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Gun: kills at a distance, runs out of ammo.

Blade: kills at close range but doesn't run out of "ammo".
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Swords are not for amateurs.  It takes years of training to use a sword right.  If you are serious about non-gunpowder weapons, the ones to have are a crossbow and a spear.  Leave swords to ninja wannabes and real experts, unless you have the time and patience to really learn how to use one.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 2:13:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Leave swords to ninja wannabes and real experts, unless you have the time and patience to really learn how to use one.
View Quote

I disagree. Criminals prefer cheap disposable weapons of dubious quality and reliability, Jennings, Bryco, fleamarket switchblades, "ninja"-swords made in red china, doesn't matter as long as it's shiny.
A serious, business sword wielded with confidence will demand and receive respect.
However, don't bring a sword to a gunfight ;)
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 2:13:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 2:25:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A serious, business sword wielded with confidence will demand and receive respect.
View Quote

How can you wield it with confidence if you don't know how to use it?  And if you do know how to use it, then you aren't disagreeing with me.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I can understand a Machete, an Axe, but a sword?  please...The only Claymore I'd want goes "boom"
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 6:00:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Errr, I meant incapacitate.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 6:08:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#13]
It takes years of training to use a sword right.
View Quote

Maybe against someone else who has training, but against a malnourished looter with a knife or club?  It's not like you're going to run into a trained swordsman.z
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Errr, I meant incapacitate.
View Quote

Sure? How's "decapitate"?
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 6:30:13 PM EDT
[#15]
You guys can have your swords.  I'd feel safer just carrying mace.  The 48 ounce can of it.

[img]http://www.coldsteel.com/mainimage/battlemace.gif[/img][img]http://www.coldsteel.com/Supplementals/Battlemacehead.gif[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top