Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Posted: 9/1/2010 12:17:57 PM EDT
I teach a couple of classes at a midwestern university. Here's a copy of an email I sent to one of the classes today.
Greetings:
This message is to all persons enrolled in XXXX this semester.
After class today, someone turned in a late submission for Homework 3. I
think I know who it was, but I'm not certain. Until that person comes
forward and accepts a zero for the assignment, no one will be receiving
credit for the assignment. The offending party will receive a zero,
ultimately, for two reasons. First, homework is due at the beginning of
class. Second, I purposely put the "To Be Graded" folder away, and the
person rifled through my personal property to get to the folder.
If you need to turn in homework late, speak to me directly, and we can
generally work something out if it's an unusual circumstance. Try to be
sneaky or deceptive about it, though, and you've guaranteed yourself a
zero. As it stands - and you know who you are - you've put your
classmates in a position to get a zero for their hard work that was
turned in on time. Your classmates and I are counting on you to step up
to accept responsibility for your actions.
I trust that this issue will be resolved immediately, and will not be
repeated. If it is repeated, by anyone, it will be reported to the
department as academic misconduct and dealt with accordingly.
Please contact me if you have any questions or comments regarding this message.
Best regards,

DzlBenz

Let the peer pressure begin!

Here's a copy of a message another professor, who was copied on the original email, sent to me:

You might check to see if Computing Services can show you the security video for the
time frame of interest.  That way, if the offending party doesn't step
forward you can punish them for that too.

I like it. I like it a lot.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:30:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Punishing the whole class for the actions of one individual is unfair.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Make the offender stand in front of the class eating a jelly donut.

Be sure to leave plenty of soap and towels lying around.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Never served in the military, have you?  

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I do not like your line of thinking.
Punish the students that worked hard because of the actions of another is not right.
How would you like to have criminal charges against you because another teacher was banging a student ?
Different scenerio, but same mentality.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:34:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Punishing the whole class is wrong and unfair.  You are shifiting what should be your respondsiblilty onto the shoulders of those who should bear ZERO respondsibility.  I would report you to the Dean and make a nice little website explaining how F'ed up my university was if it were me...

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:34:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Life isn't fair. The sooner those little fucks learn that, the sooner they can start using it to their advantage.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Life isn't fair. The sooner those little fucks learn that, the sooner they can start using it to their advantage.

It's teachers like you that make parenting hard and give good teachers a bad name.
Your students are little fucks huh?
Punish the whole class for the actions of one?

unbelievable......
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:40:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm in the military and I think that punishing them all is pretty fucked up.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:40:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I teach a couple of classes at a midwestern university. Here's a copy of an email I sent to one of the classes today.

Greetings:

After class today, someone turned in a late submission for Homework 3. I think I know who it was, but I'm not certain. Until that person comes forward and accepts a zero for the assignment, no one will be receiving credit for the assignment. The offending party will receive a zero, ultimately, for two reasons. First, homework is due at the beginning of class. Second, I purposely put the "To Be Graded" folder away, and the person rifled through my personal property to get to the folder.

If you need to turn in homework late, speak to me directly, and we can generally work something out if it's an unusual circumstance. Try to be sneaky or deceptive about it, though, and you've guaranteed yourself a zero. As it stands - and you know who you are - you've put your classmates in a position to get a zero for their hard work that was turned in on time. Your classmates and I are counting on you to step up to accept responsibility for your actions.

I trust that this issue will be resolved immediately, and will not be repeated. If it is repeated, by anyone, it will be reported to the department as academic misconduct and dealt with accordingly.

Best regards,
DzlBenz

Here's a copy of a message another professor, who was copied on the original email, sent to me:

You might check to see if Computing Services can show you the security video for thetime frame of interest.  That way, if the offending party doesn't stepforward you can punish them for that too.

Give the student a zero for all hw?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:41:23 PM EDT
[#10]
If I was a student of yours, I'd be causing hell to your superiors.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:42:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Decimation works wonders.

(jump to about 7:40)

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:42:37 PM EDT
[#12]
What bullshit.  "Professors" like you are what make college miserable.  Stupid chickenshit tactics combined with a superiority complex.  What a crock.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Punish the students that worked hard because of the actions of another is not right.
How would you like to have criminal charges against you because another teacher was banging a student ?

Exactly.

Its bullshit.

I would be pissed if I was a student. I'd probably go complain to the dean.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:44:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Just like the Army... Group punishment. "E-4 and and below, Get down! The PUSH-UP!!!"

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:45:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I think it is cool you signed the letter with DzlBenz.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just like the Army... Group punishment. "E-4 and and below, Get down! The PUSH-UP!!!"

Except people don't pay to join the Army.  They get equally punished because of the paycheck the get and the contract they signed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#17]
It's not the military, punishing the entire class is a mistake.

I would expect a call from the department chair or dean were I you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:46:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

College isn't the army. They are paying to get an eduction and if they have done their homework there is no reason to give them a zero.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#19]
There is no way in hell that his dept head would allow him to give the whole class a zero on the hw. Question is does the cheater amd anyone who saw him getting into the OP's shit know that it is an empty threat.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:47:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was....and it's ridiculously idiotic.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:47:36 PM EDT
[#21]
You are wrong on this one. Sorry.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#22]
If I was your student, I would grit my teeth, get through the course, then make your life a living hell, afterwards.

That is some serious chickenshit.

Grades are not yours to assign.  Grades are for the student to earn.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#23]
So the offending party knows that you're not sure. And if (s)he comes forward, you WILL know for sure. Either way that person will get a zero.

Why would that person step forward? They're getting a zero anyways. The Full Metal Jacket thing only works if everyone already knows who fucked up and then they can put pressure on that person.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:47:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

no its blanket party time.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:48:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Agreed. It's not going to teach the rest of the class a lesson because they actually turned their assignment(s) in on time. I'd be pissed if one of my professors did that in one of my classes. My grade should not suffer because someone else I more than likely don't know is a dumb ass.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:48:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm also curious.. How did you know the act was done, and why are you fairly certain who it was ?

I'm not doubting you, but it sounds like it would make an interesting story.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:49:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Did not go the way the OP wanted it to.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:50:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

So the offending party knows that you're not sure. And if (s)he comes forward, you WILL know for sure. Either way that person will get a zero.

Why would that person step forward? They're getting a zero anyways. The Full Metal Jacket thing only works if everyone already knows who fucked up and then they can put pressure on that person.

And I'm sure the adult students with wives and kids and full time jobs and other adult responsibilities have all the time in the world to kneel before their almighty professor and play his bullshit games.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:52:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

Its bullshit.

I would be pissed if I was a student. I'd probably go complain to the dean.

First, it's not like he's ACTUALLY going to give everyone else a zero.  As soon as he knows who it is, everyone else will get their grade.

Second, the dean most likely wouldn't care.  (But, that can depend on the university).

Third, because there's often a lot of cheating (especially in undergraduate classes) on college campuses if faculty are not attentive (and use appropriate safeguards), it is very important that faculty send the clear message that they are attentive and care about upholding academic integrity.  So while the "good" students may be slightly annoyed at the homework grades not being posted for a few days, many of them will appreciate that the instructor is not letting cheaters get away with it.

Maybe he isn't going to give a zero, but if thats the case he shouldn't threaten it. I wouldn't have a problem with him saying the grades wouldn't be posted right away, but stating that he would give them all a zero is bullshit.

I wouldn't be surprised if the dean didn't care either, but its worth a shot.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:54:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:54:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Greetings:

After class today, someone turned in a late submission for Homework 3. I think I know who it was, but I'm not certain. Until that person comes forward and accepts a zero for the assignment, no one will be receiving credit for the assignment. The offending party will receive a zero, ultimately, for two reasons. First, homework is due at the beginning of class. Second, I purposely put the "To Be Graded" folder away, and the person rifled through my personal property to get to the folder.

If you need to turn in homework late, speak to me directly, and we can generally work something out if it's an unusual circumstance. Try to be sneaky or deceptive about it, though, and you've guaranteed yourself a zero. As it stands - and you know who you are - you've put your classmates in a position to get a zero for their hard work that was turned in on time. Your classmates and I are counting on you to step up to accept responsibility for your actions.

I trust that this issue will be resolved immediately, and will not be repeated. If it is repeated, by anyone, it will be reported to the department as academic misconduct and dealt with accordingly.

Best regards,

DzlBenz

You might check to see if Computing Services can show you the security video for thetime frame of interest.  That way, if the offending party doesn't stepforward you can punish them for that too.

Cheaters suck... Find the idiot and handle as the school's dishonesty policy permits... Same for plagerizers,e tc...

But what kind of College class gives any credit at all for 'homework' (I seem to remember 'There are 2 tests, a final exam, and a term project. 'Homework' is up to you, there's no grade for it..' in pretty much every class I took - except the ones that were 100% project-based)?

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Did not go the way the OP wanted it to.

no there are a lot of "its all about me", Im important kids on here that have not experenced REAL life yet. Life IS NOT FAIR, the sooner you learn that, the better you will be..

And its always fun to fuck with the troops..

And I have instructed at a CC for a few years in the past. So I know where the OP is comming from..
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Greetings:

Best regards,
DzlBenz

Cheaters suck...

But what kind of College class gives any credit at all for 'homework'?

Engineering classes. Most engineering classes revolve around problem sets (homework) and projects...
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:56:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Collective punishment only works when there is an expectation that the punished group knows who the miscreant is.

There's no such expectation here.  You're being an ass and displaying weakness.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Greetings:

Best regards,

DzlBenz

Cheaters suck...

Engineering classes. Most engineering classes revolve around problem sets (homework) and projects...

Ahh...

Had some project-based courses (mainly programming, but also one or two business-school ones), but none that actually had graded 'homework'

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:58:02 PM EDT
[#37]
The only thing I disagree with is the wording in your email.  I would have given the students the option of ratting out the cheater, in order to save their grades.  I bet you'd have a name within 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:58:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:59:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Greetings:

Best regards,
DzlBenz

Cheaters suck... Find the idiot and handle as the school's dishonesty policy permits... Same for plagerizers,e tc...

But what kind of College class gives any credit at all for 'homework' (I seem to remember 'There are 2 tests, a final exam, and a term project. 'Homework' is up to you, there's no grade for it..' in pretty much every class I took - except the ones that were 100% project-based)?

A lot of colleges/classes do.  Everyone one of the 4 universities and 1 CC I've been to have given HW as some type of grade.....it merely depends on the class/instructor if they want it to count for grades or not.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:59:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Does it really make a difference?

If everyone is graded on a curve, then you're simply removing *one* assignment from the grading scheme.  It's like the assignment didn't exist.  They'll be graded on the rest of their work.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#41]
What class is it?  Based on your avatar I just checked my student email and it's not any I'm enrolled in.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:01:14 PM EDT
[#42]
i can't say i'm a fan of the "fail everybody" scenario.  i work my ass off in school (and i do it without cheating).  i'd be fucking pissed, and justifiably so, if i was punished for someone else cheating.  furthermore, the cheater now doesn't have any incentive to identify himself if he knows no one else saw him rifle through your stuff.  he can just say "i dunno, wasn't me" and get away with it.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:02:47 PM EDT
[#43]
OP, don't be surprised if bad things happen to you when you give paying students a zero for work they did by the rules.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:03:30 PM EDT
[#44]
BTW how did you know that someone turned it in late?

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:04:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Greetings:

Best regards,
DzlBenz

Cheaters suck...

YEs I went to engineering school (and graduated!).

HW was at most 10% and often dropped if it hurt your grade for the basic classes like statics, dynamics, fluids, etc.
It was really easy to find someone with a solution key.

As you went up in classes to design classes or classes where basic book problems could not be given the hw had a higher percentage (20% or so)

Projects were something different as you can't cheat on them, you can only ride the coat tails so long....

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#46]
I dont think this is going the way the OP envisioned.

FWIW I agree with the OP's tactic
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:05:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It's quite likely that someone in the class (other than the culprit) knows who it is.

And, it could as easily be argued that he would be "displaying weakness" by knowingly allowing someone who cheated to get away with it - ESPECIALLY if more than one person knows.

It's very likely the offending student stuck around or came back in after everybody was gone to sneak the h/w into the pile.

So nobody would know, unless they happened to remember he or she was the last one to leave, or saw him walk back in.  But that's still not eyewitness proof unless they saw it happen directly or by the chance he told his buddies what he did.

Back when I was in college, the big thing was for people to get into study groups and copy off the one smart person.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Collective punishment only works when there is an expectation that the punished group knows who the miscreant is.

There's no such expectation here.  You're being an ass and displaying weakness.

I disagree.

It's quite likely that someone in the class (other than the culprit) knows who it is.

And, it could as easily be argued that he would be "displaying weakness" by knowingly allowing someone who cheated to get away with it - ESPECIALLY if more than one person knows.

First you say that it's obviously a bluff.  Then you say that college kids will be so convinced and scared of it (specifically, getting one insignificant zero that doesn't change the curve), that they'll turn in their buddy, assuming they even know who did it?

No, this doesn't make any sense.  It's very poor leadership.  The OP's fucked up and backed himself into a corner, and every kid in his class knows it.  And doing it over email instead of in the next class?  That's just pussy.

I may be wrong, but we'll judge that by his updates.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:06:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does it really make a difference?

If everyone is graded on a curve, then you're simply removing *one* assignment from the grading scheme.  It's like the assignment didn't exist.  They'll be graded on the rest of their work.

True, probably helps that the student not come forward....

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:06:58 PM EDT
[#50]
I got out of the military specifically to avoid shit like that.  If one of my professors did that, I would have a very difficult time not publicly calling them out on that, because I'm sure the other students in the room will feel the same way.  

Either way, your class, your rules.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top