convention,” a message posted on the Texas Passion Events website
said. "The district attorney had paid them a visit and then they
received notice from their corporate (office) that we were no
longer welcome at the hotel. We do not know, nor does the local
hotel management know, from where the pressure came.”

Organizers had scheduled, among other things,
seminars about various aspects of "the lifestyle,” as organizers
describe their sexual activities. The website boasted the event as
a "hotel takeover” with hedonism and nudity.

The group originally had a contract, renting
the entire Courtyard Marriott and had paid a deposit of $50,000 or
more, Midland County District Attorney Teresa Clingman said.

Clingman added a concerned citizen had
contacted her about the event, which was scheduled for Sept.
30-Oct. 3.

"I just had my investigators contact the
management of the hotel to find out how the facility was going to
conduct such an event so that no laws were broken,” Clingman
said.

She wanted the convention looked into because,
"I don’t think that’s the kind of event, that if most Midlanders
were aware of it, they would want in this community.”

A Midland couple previously scheduled to
conduct sexual seminars at the event referred a reporter to group
member George Long, who would only say he was in North Central
Texas. Long said he was "extremely disappointed at having it
canceled.

"The reason we picked Midland is because there
is a huge lifestyle community in West Texas,” Long said. He would
not say how many people were expected at the convention.

He noted there are lifestyle conventions
nationwide, and the events attract people of all ages.

Swinging, which emerged in the 1960s,
reportedly has steadily grown. "It hasn’t been renewed. It’s just
steadily grown and the Internet has let it explode,” Long said.

Asked if the convention –– which took seven
months to plan –– would be rescheduled, Long said the cancellation
came at the last minute. "We got everybody’s money refunded to
them. We spent all last week getting everybody’s money back to them
because that was the most important thing,” Long said.

Clingman said her minister, the Rev. Robert
Pase of Grace Lutheran Church, told her the event was canceled. She
had consulted with Pase to rally Midland’s religious base.

"I could not be more pleased, because as I
said, that’s not the type of event we want to be going on in this
community” sanctioned by one of our businesses, Clingman said.

The Reporter-Telegram was referred to the
hotel’s general manager Tuesday.

"There is no event, the event has been
canceled due to its nature,” hotel Manager David Dupree said.

http://www.mywesttexas.com/top_stories/article_cd89f5f4-b568-11df-8656-001cc4c002e0.html

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:01:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Their business and their image to protect
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:02:42 AM EDT
[#2]
It is already tough to stay in certain hotel rooms.  Those would be extra tough to stay in for me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:03:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Sex is BAD.

I'll bet if there had been a symposium on watching videos of exploding heads and gruesome car crashes, that would have been ok with local church folks, though.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:04:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I have no problem with that. It is the part where the District Attorney is putting pressure on them that I don't like.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:05:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I could not be more pleased, because as Isaid, that’s not the type of event we want to be going on in thiscommunity” sanctioned by one of our businesses, Clingman said.

Mad that she wasn't invited.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:06:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Now what the fuck am I going to do this weekend
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:06:40 AM EDT
[#7]
District attorney?

Pre-crime?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:09:46 AM EDT
[#8]
A Midland couple previously scheduled to conduct sexual seminars at the event referred a reporter to group member George Long

Is that his stage name?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:12:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Pervs.  Good riddance.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:14:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:16:21 AM EDT
[#11]
While I support the hotel to have what types of events they want on their private property, I am bothered by the apparent fact that the DA consulted with her pastor to "rally the religious base" and then visited the hotel in her official capacity to "investigate".

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:17:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Private contract. The DA had no business messing with them.

Yeah, that's bull shit.

People having sex, oh the horrorz

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:18:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Pervs.  Good riddance.

Your opinion. What should be done with those you deem as  'pervs'?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:19:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Shouldn't be using the DA unless a law was being broken. This is...... ahem....... Questionable in the least, Lawsuit anyone???????
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:20:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I think this would constitute abuse of power.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:21:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 8:30 pm | Updated: 10:24 pm, Tue Aug 31, 2010.

By Ruth Campbell
Staff Writer | 20 comments

Amid pressure, a convention billed as a "hedonistic adventurefor couples”  has been canceled at Midland’s Courtyard Marriott,officials confirmed Tuesday.

"Yesterday the hotel management in Midlandnotified us that they were forced to cancel our contract and ourconvention,” a message posted on the Texas Passion Events websitesaid. "The district attorney had paid them a visit and then theyreceived notice from their corporate (office) that we were nolonger welcome at the hotel. We do not know, nor does the localhotel management know, from where the pressure came.”

Organizers had scheduled, among other things,seminars about various aspects of "the lifestyle,” as organizersdescribe their sexual activities. The website boasted the event asa "hotel takeover” with hedonism and nudity.

The group originally had a contract, rentingthe entire Courtyard Marriott and had paid a deposit of $50,000 ormore, Midland County District Attorney Teresa Clingman said.

Clingman added a concerned citizen hadcontacted her about the event, which was scheduled for Sept.30-Oct. 3.

"I just had my investigators contact themanagement of the hotel to find out how the facility was going toconduct such an event so that no laws were broken,” Clingmansaid.

She wanted the convention looked into because,"I don’t think that’s the kind of event, that if most Midlanderswere aware of it, they would want in this community.”

A Midland couple previously scheduled toconduct sexual seminars at the event referred a reporter to groupmember George Long, who would only say he was in North CentralTexas. Long said he was "extremely disappointed at having itcanceled.

"The reason we picked Midland is because thereis a huge lifestyle community in West Texas,” Long said. He wouldnot say how many people were expected at the convention.

He noted there are lifestyle conventionsnationwide, and the events attract people of all ages.

Swinging, which emerged in the 1960s,reportedly has steadily grown. "It hasn’t been renewed. It’s juststeadily grown and the Internet has let it explode,” Long said.

Asked if the convention –– which took sevenmonths to plan –– would be rescheduled, Long said the cancellationcame at the last minute. "We got everybody’s money refunded tothem. We spent all last week getting everybody’s money back to thembecause that was the most important thing,” Long said.

Clingman said her minister, the Rev. RobertPase of Grace Lutheran Church, told her the event was canceled. Shehad consulted with Pase to rally Midland’s religious base.

"I could not be more pleased, because as Isaid, that’s not the type of event we want to be going on in thiscommunity” sanctioned by one of our businesses, Clingman said.

The Reporter-Telegram was referred to thehotel’s general manager Tuesday.

"There is no event, the event has beencanceled due to its nature,” hotel Manager David Dupree said.
http://www.mywesttexas.com/top_stories/article_cd89f5f4-b568-11df-8656-001cc4c002e0.html

So, guilty until proven innocent, is that what's she saying?  If so, this bitch should be thrown out on her ear.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:21:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Obscenity laws maybe?

They never keep their activities indoors
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:26:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sex is BAD.

I'll bet if there had been a symposium on watching videos of exploding heads and gruesome car crashes, that would have been ok with local church folks, though.

I agree...  These items are not exactly unholy.  (Exploding Heads)  

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:28:50 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Clingman said her minister, the Rev. RobertPase of Grace Lutheran Church, told her the event was canceled. Shehad consulted with Pase to rally Midland’s religious base.

Quoted:

That is as fucked up as a soup sandwich.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:29:34 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Only I am allowed to make money off of sex.

Heh.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:30:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yes, that is fairly obvious.

Did you notice that the DA was notified by her Pastor that the conference was canceled?

While I don't agree with their (the ones that booked the conf) shenanigans, it certainly looks like the DA abused her position to drive the church's agenda.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:34:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pervs.  Good riddance.

Shun them and their perversions to the dark underground edge of society where they belong, then fart in their general direction.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:36:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

lawsuit????????
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:37:54 AM EDT
[#24]
My hometown and I'm not at all surprised.

Midland is very conservative but also very "Religious Right".  They are about as bad as liberals in imposing their opinions and beliefs on other people.

There are no strip clubs in Midland due to public pressure.  You have to go to Odessa to find one.

Back in the early 80's they put so much pressure on concert venues that KISS and Ozzy Osbourne cancelled concerts in Midland due to the churches stirring up their congregations.  I remember a guest pastor in my church growing up giving a sermon about how KISS stood for Knights In Satan's Service.  I was I think 12 or 13 and I thought it was silly and I didn't even really like rock music at the time.

Nice place to grow up but their are quite sanctimonious with their morality.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:39:04 AM EDT
[#25]
That is West Texas for you...

I remember when I was kid in San Angelo that some folks protested the KISS concert.

I probably know some of the people who were going to attend the "convention"
Hell, I am probably related to some...

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:39:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pervs.  Good riddance.

Shun them and their perversions to the dark underground edge of society where they belong, then fart in their general direction.

Unless my sarcasm meter is broken I would say you would fit right in with a lot of Midlanders.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm curious. Would you say the same thing if the hotel's policy was no muslims allowed?  I agree with a business owner being able to refuse service to anyone for any reason without Governmental interference, however, we do accept the fact that the government tells business owners who they must cater to already.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:40:18 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only I am allowed to make money off of sex.

Heh.

lol

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:41:31 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

A Midland couple previously scheduled to conduct sexual seminars at the event referred a reporter to group member George Long

Is that his stage name?

I once worked with a guy named Richard Long.

Imagine the jokes  

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:43:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm curious. Would you say the same thing if the hotel's policy was no muslims allowed?  I agree with a business owner being able to refuse service to anyone for any reason without Governmental interference, however, we do accept the fact that the government tells business owners who they must cater to already.

I'm guessing obscenity laws are the reason.

Swingers rarely keep their activities indoors and once it goes public, they could be breaking laws.

Of course if they ever make ghey marriage a constitutional right, all other lifestyles will become protected.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:47:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:48:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is religious affiliation protected under the "civil rights" laws?  I know you can't refuse service to blacks, etc (complete BS in my opinion).
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#33]
I grew up in Midland.  

It is a very conservative town.  Frankly I am surprised this group chose Midland to host their event.

It was a good place to grow up.  I still think it's a good place to grow up.  I hope to move back someday.

But, the busybody quotient is high.  And many of the busybodies have significant assets and the time to be a busybody.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:53:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My hometown and I'm not at all surprised.

Midland is very conservative but also very "Religious Right".  They are about as bad as liberals in imposing their opinions and beliefs on other people.

There are no strip clubs in Midland due to public pressure.  You have to go to Odessa to find one.

Back in the early 80's they put so much pressure on concert venues that KISS and Ozzy Osbourne cancelled concerts in Midland due to the churches stirring up their congregations.  I remember a guest pastor in my church growing up giving a sermon about how KISS stood for Knights In Satan's Service.  I was I think 12 or 13 and I thought it was silly and I didn't even really like rock music at the time.

Nice place to grow up but their are quite sanctimonious with their morality.

Dude, this is not a slam, please believe me.

But look at your line, now in red.

They may have some puritan zealots amongst them but I wonder how nice a place it would be if ...........

I see your point as well but I thought it was an interesting contrast to whats being said in some posts.        

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:57:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Crap.  There goes my weekend.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Damn, what am I gonna do that week now.

ETA: beat by 7 seconds
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:00:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is religious affiliation protected under the "civil rights" laws?  I know you can't refuse service to blacks, etc (complete BS in my opinion).

And that's the point. You cannot refuse service to selected protected classes, but you can refuse service to other people.  To be an equitable law, either a private business can refuse service to anybody for any reason or no one at all.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:01:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Swingers rarely keep their activities indoors and once it goes public, they could be breaking laws.

Of course if they ever make ghey marriage a constitutional right, all other lifestyles will become protected.

Well, rather than banning all of them for what might happen, how about prosecuting those people who actually do violate the law.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, rather than banning all of them for what might happen, how about prosecuting those people who actually do violate the law.

Sometimes the headache isn't worth the effort imo.

If I was the DA and the kkk and the panthers wanted to protest, I wouldn't give them a permit. I know I could bust some heads when they break the law, but I don't want the headache so fuck em.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:04:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:06:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sometimes the headache isn't worth the effort imo.

If I was the DA and the kkk and the panthers wanted to protest, I wouldn't give them a permit. I know I could bust some heads when they break the law, but I don't want the headache so fuck em.

In this case, the DA did it because her pastor told her to.  Sounds like a conflict of interest.    I would hope that the rights of people to assemble are not based on how much of a hassle it would be.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:07:36 AM EDT
[#43]
ya know a lot of these people going to this were people you dont want to see naked..

think nude beach..
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:14:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:14:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Pervs.  Good riddance.

Where do I show up to help your fight for freedom for everyman?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:17:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obscenity laws maybe?

They never keep their activities indoors

That would be if they actually came outside.

And in their rooms, and in the lobby, and in the ice machine, and on the salad bar in the restaurant next door...
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:19:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I don't give a crap one way or the other, but why would these folks choose a location that is known to be very conservative, and not likely to tolerate what can only be called "out there" behavior?  Do people do this just so they have something to rail about?    

It seems to me the good citizens of Midland should have freedom FROM this kind of conduct, the same as the swingers would shriek loudly they should have freedom FROM religion.  

I'm sure there are many locales around the country where this would be a welcome influx of business.  Go there and STFU.  

Maybe there are a lot of "keeping up appearances" types who cry bloody hell in public while their wife buggers their butthole with a modified sawzall
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:19:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Man I'm sure glad the religious don't use positions of power to dictate their particular dogmatical baggage onto the rest of us.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:20:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:21:16 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Shouldn't be using the DA unless a law was being broken. This is...... ahem....... Questionable in the least, Lawsuit anyone???????

It's very likely that adultery is still on the books in Texas.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top