Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2002 10:09:57 AM EDT
Earlier today, I posted a thread about a speech that was given in Seattle, Washington, by Daniel Pipes.

This thread seemed to go in every direction except the direction that it should have gone.

So I nuked it!

No one else asked me to do it, no one suggested I do it, it was solely my own idea!

If y'all want to discuss Pipes' comments, let me know.

If you want to talk about crap from another forum, start your own damn thread! [:D]

Eric The(Irritable)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 10:31:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Eric,

I think that Mr. Pipes should have been allowed to make his speech without harrassment. Verbal harrassment and/or veiled threats against Mr. Pipes is just another form of terrorism...

Scott

P.S. Terrorism does NOT begin when the body count starts...

Link Posted: 4/12/2002 10:31:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 10:44:21 AM EDT
[#3]
If a moderator deletes his own thread who does he complain too??

Or is it AntiUSSA fault by default??[;)]

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 10:48:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I win something by default..?
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 10:51:24 AM EDT
[#5]
'The Jewes are the men who will not be blamed for nothing.' - Jack The Ripper, [i][b]From Hell[/b][/i], 1888.

Eric The(Innocent)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Mad at you for nuking one of your OWN incessant Israel threads???

Hardly.

I'm more inclined to thank you.

And FWIW, yes Daniel Pipes should have the freedom to spread his own version of the truth.

Just as free as any other PRIVATE citizen should be to tell him to SHUT IT.

Freedom of speech is ALWAYS a two-edged sword.

Trouble is, most people only see it working in THEIR favor.

Link Posted: 4/12/2002 11:10:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Mr Hun,

I admire the stance you took as a moderator in deleting another thread in the Arab vs. Israel discussion. This topic has degenerated into racist, pro Israeli, anti Palestinian, anti Israeli, pro Palestinian, anti US involvement, anti US Isolationism, scripture quoting, waiting on Armageddon, rebuild the Temple, establish a UN peacekeeping presence, establish a Palestinian homeland, the UN sucks, Glocks suck, 1911's suck, AK's suck, AR's suck, Chevy's suck, Fords suck, anything foreign sucks, the 2nd ammendment does not suck, full auto is the only way to go, agnostic-dyslexics wonder if there is a DOG, someones thread/account is getting locked, Tatjana is cool(but I am not in love with her), the BRC should have reenactments of all firearm assasinations of heads of state for us all to try, and finally, BOTD!!

I love this place and I ain't never leavin'.[:D]

wiggy(mymedsarewearingoff)762
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 11:35:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Post from garandman -
View Quote

Yes, they can say [u]anything[/u] they want so long as they do not disrupt the fellow speaking at the invitation of the University on its own property, in its own building.

Riot off campus all you want, but when you come to the University, you must conduct yourself by their rules!

Same as if you come to my house - [b]mind your manners![/b]

Or face being asked to kindly leave!

And then shoved out on your ass if you don't move as fast as I think you should be moving![:D]

It's called 'freedom' and it [b]is[/b] a two-edged sword!

Eric The(Hospitable)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Post from garandman -
View Quote

Yes, they can say [u]anything[/u] they want so long as they do not disrupt the fellow speaking at the invitation of the University on its own property, in its own building.

Riot off campus all you want, but when you come to the University, you must conduct yourself by their rules!

[>]:)]
View Quote

Well, not exactly.

I was under the impression most universities were "Do whatever you want" zones anyway. Toga parties, run around naked, binge drink, paint the schools mascot blue. Whatever.[:D]

But here's the REAL issue....

[b]If [/b]that university received ONE DOLLAR of public funds, then ALL speech must be allowed. Now, I would recommend Mr. Pipes foils show him some respect and protest in a "warm and fuzzy" manner, but then I cannot see prohibiting them from shouting him down either. Speech is speech, and when public funds are involved as they are in university funding, I'm not gonna split hairs as to WHAT speech is "warm and fuzzy" enuf. Are you???

I think Mr. Pipes should GROW UP and realize that (provided this was a publicly funded university) in a publicly funded university, "free speech" cuts both ways.

Now if you REALLY wanna make me say thanks, delete THIS sorta-Israel thread as well.

[}:D]

Link Posted: 4/12/2002 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 12:58:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Post from garandman -
If that university received ONE DOLLAR of public funds, then ALL speech must be allowed.
View Quote

That is so absurd as to defy belief!

So if I sign up for a World History 101 course, I can continuously pepper the prof with inane questions about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

I can stand up in class and sing a libretto from the [b][i]Mikado[/i][/b], to the top of my lungs, and, since it is a public facility, no one can say otherwise?

That is why most colleges and universities have what are called 'free speech allies' where you can go and debate to your heart's content!

Notice that the folks who heckled Mr. Pipes were shown the door, and ejected!

How can they do that? It's against 'free speech'!

Nope. It's not!
Now, I would recommend Mr. Pipes foils show him some respect and protest in a "warm and fuzzy" manner, but then I cannot see prohibiting them from shouting him down either.
View Quote

Well, they can, they do, and they did, remove these troublesome individuals.
Speech is speech, and when public funds are involved as they are in university funding, I'm not gonna split hairs as to WHAT speech is "warm and fuzzy" enuf. Are you???
View Quote

Well, the US Supreme Court has held that 'nude dancing' is the equivalent of 'free speech', so I suppose that if some elderly female faculty member decided to disrobe and shake her deflated 'ta-tas' at the crowd during Mr. Pipes' speech, you're cool with that?

Hey, it's just 'free speech' after all!

Eric The()Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 1:09:00 PM EDT
[#12]
[b]In response to Beer Slayers "prove it".[/b]

Okay, but you will have to use your imagination as I do not have a digital camera....yet. (I am too busy increasing my AR collection than spending money foolishly on cameras and food and such.)

Anyway, she is 5'9" and weighs 140 lbs. She has gorgeous big blue eyes, blonde hair (yes, a real blonde), her measurements are 36-30-36, and she has beautifully sculpted legs that go all the way up to an incredible bottom and back down again. Her face is like what I imagine an angel's to be, framed in that gorgeous long blonde hair. She is toned from working out every day and her skin is perfect, (except for a couple of skiing, dirtbiking, and snowboarding scars that I think are very cute).
She has the cutest little nose and really pretty feet, (they look great in stiletto heels). She has an incredible body that just asks to be touched for hours and a libido to make an 18 year old boy jealous.[:D] She is kind of new to guns but wants to shoot/adopt my new M4 and is a better pistol shot than I am!! She skipped her junior year in high school and is a college grad (summa cum laude, honors, dean's list all 4 years)with double majors in accounting and business administration. She is a staunch Christian and is in favor of a smaller Federal government. She is a successful business owner and has raised a great kid who is in college and is going to be a Doctor. (I call him my little retirement account). The only shortcoming she has is getting hooked up with me.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 1:24:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

and she has beautifully sculpted legs that go all the way up to an incredible bottom and back down again.
View Quote

NO...I thought that womens legs only went 3/4 of the way up!!! And they come back down!!!!

Man.... What have I been missing???
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I believe that every public univ. has at least one free speech area where anything, & I mean, ANYTHING, goes speechwise.  They could have gone there.  It is inane to think that you should be allowed to protest one's speech by sitting there and yelling & drowning it out. Obviously, the media gave them an outlet, why try to make your point by yelling OVER someone else's speech.  If we lived in Fascist Italy & the only means of being heard was to disrupt a speech then fine.  We don't though & these people had plenty of outlets to express their anger.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 1:29:05 PM EDT
[#15]
You forgot her age wiggy! [;)]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Okay, but you will have to use your imagination as I do not have a digital camera....yet. (I am too busy increasing my AR collection than spending money foolishly on cameras and food and such.)

Anyway, she is 5'9" and weighs 140 lbs. She has gorgeous big blue eyes, blonde hair (yes, a real blonde), her measurements are 36-30-36, and she has beautifully sculpted legs that go all the way up to an incredible bottom and back down again. Her face is like what I imagine an angel's to be, framed in that gorgeous long blonde hair. She is toned from working out every day and her skin is perfect, (except for a couple of skiing, dirtbiking, and snowboarding scars that I think are very cute).
She has the cutest little nose and really pretty feet, (they look great in stiletto heels). She has an incredible body that just asks to be touched for hours and a libido to make an 18 year old boy jealous.[:D] She is kind of new to guns but wants to shoot/adopt my new M4 and is a better pistol shot than I am!! She skipped her junior year in high school and is a college grad (summa cum laude, honors, dean's list all 4 years)with double majors in accounting and business administration. She is a staunch Christian and is in favor of a smaller Federal government. She is a successful business owner and has raised a great kid who is in college and is going to be a Doctor. (I call him my little retirement account). The only shortcoming she has is getting hooked up with me.
View Quote

PICTURES, YOU BIG LIAR!!! [BOUNCE]

(joking about the liar bit, not about pics!) [:)]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 2:10:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh yeah, she is 42 years old and but she feels like a 22 year old. [;)]

As soon as I get a camera or a scanner, I will post pics for all to see.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 3:51:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

As soon as I get a camera or a scanner, I will post pics for all to see.
View Quote

Umm....If she "feels like a 22 year old, you'd better have been "feeling" her for the last 20 years, or she might get a bit bent out of shape. [:)]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Umm....If she "feels like a 22 year old, you'd better have been "feeling" her for the last 20 years, or she might get a bit bent out of shape. [:)]
View Quote

LMAO - you are correct sir [/Ed McMahon voice]

When I said she feels like a 22 year old, I meant that she is quite a bit younger than her chronological age and has the body to prove it!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 4:25:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Wiggy, check your email.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top