Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/31/2010 8:27:31 AM EDT
I think it happened in OK.

LE was shooting at a snake stuck in a bird feader and missed. Round went thru woods and struck a boy on a dock, killing him.

Anyone got an update?
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:28:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Two pages. Five locks. Three time-outs. Two permabans. One blue line.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:30:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Officer went home safely.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:30:27 AM EDT
[#3]
News to me...

Suspect until link provided.

_MaH
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:33:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
News to me...

_MaH

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,292168,00.html
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:34:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I believe the father of that boy is on here as well. Created an account to tell his side of the story. After that, I don't know.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:36:24 AM EDT
[#6]
You mean the stupid bitch that shot up in the air, bullets skipped on the water and murdered a kid fishing with grampa? I'll bet not a damned thing. Also I'd like to know the outcome of the old dude in Florida that shot the off duty cop who had a road rage issue.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:36:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I believe the father of that boy is on here as well. Created an account to tell his side of the story. After that, I don't know.

you are correct. the father created an account to tell the families side.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:37:09 AM EDT
[#8]
a quick google brings up this blog post from 2008

According to James Haley, the idiots will be fined $1000, lose their law enforcement license, and will be put on probation. No jail time will be served, and most appalling of all, after two years have passed, they will be able under Oklahoma law to have the offense expunged from their records. This means that they could return to a position in law enforcement.

I cannot vouch for the veracity of the info.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:38:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
News to me...

_MaH

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,292168,00.html

Manslaughter.

May the officer be sentenced no differently than any civilian would be.

_MaH

ETA:  That is a "I hope this happens" prediction –– not a "This is what happened" statement.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:40:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

According to James Haley, the idiots will be fined $1000, lose their law enforcement license, and will be put on probation. No jail time will be served, and most appalling of all, after two years have passed, they will be able under Oklahoma law to have the offense expunged from their records. This means that they could return to a position in law enforcement.

The person who owned the land told the officers to shoot the snake. The officer I'm sure did not want to kill that boy. Money says that Officers going to be haunted for life, no sane man or woman would

want to murder an innocent human being. I think firing him is a bad idea, even though this is a tragedy. I know if it was me in those officers shoes it would be hard to live with myself if something like that

happened.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:42:48 AM EDT
[#11]
in before the shit storm.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:43:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The person who owned the land told the officers to shoot the snake. The officer I'm sure did not want to kill that boy. Money says that Officers going to be haunted for life, no sane man or woman would

want to murder an innocent human being. I think firing him is a bad idea, even though this is a tragedy. I know if it was me in those officers shoes it would be hard to live with myself if something like that

happened.

That warmed my fucking heart.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:47:41 AM EDT
[#13]
i will play this game of  " what ever happened to  _____ "  "or where are they now..   ? "

the cop that was caught on tape being a Dick.. by a kid with a camera on the headrest i think it was  ?

video is of the kid in a parking lot at night ..  cop blocks his car and starts the show..

i forget the place but some cop here was comparing it to warzone.  

ive wondered what Dept he is working for now.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:48:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Here's a big F'ing surprise. No jail time for cops. I guess if you're going to do something stupid and kill a kid, it helps to be a cop.

FAIL

NORMAN –– The family of a 5-year-old boy who was killed when a bullet from a Noble police officer's gun struck him is angry that a plea agreement between the officer and the state requires no jail time.

Cleveland County prosecutors have offered deferred sentences to two former Noble police officers charged with second-degree manslaughter in the Aug. 3 death of Austin Haley.

"It's nothing more than a slap on the wrist, if you ask me," Jack Haley, the boy's father, said Tuesday.

Haley said sentencing for Paul Bradley Rogers, 34, and Robert Shawn Richardson, 29, would be deferred for two years in exchange for them entering guilty pleas. The men also would be fined $1,000 each and ordered to forfeit their state law enforcement certifications, he said.

Assistant District Attorney David Brockman declined to confirm that an offer has been made in the cases.

"We know the family is unhappy, but we can't comment on cases that are pending," Brockman said.

Haley said Brockman and District Attorney Greg Mashburn told the family on Monday about the offer.

The family most objects to the provision that doesn't require the men to serve any jail time, Haley
said.

"This sweetheart deal doesn't serve us; it doesn't serve justice, and it doesn't serve the public," he said.

The family still is grieving the loss of a child, Haley said, "and now this. This just makes it worse. We're the victims here, and we don't feel like we have an advocate."

Austin Haley died when a bullet from one of the officers' guns ricocheted and hit him while he was outside fishing with his grandfather. The officers were in a neighbor's yard, firing at a snake in a birdhouse.

Jack Haley said the family wanted the men to serve "maybe 30 to 90 days."

"They killed somebody because of their negligence. They shouldn't get deferred sentences that can be expunged from their record after two years are up," he told The Oklahoman.

Brockman said prosecutors have kept the Haley family informed of the case's progress.

But Haley said until Monday he thought prosecutors were talking about some jail time, "like, maybe 30 days."

On Monday, he said, the family learned that the two men had waived their rights to a preliminary hearing and that a disposition date for the cases had been set.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article. ... NORMA88676
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:51:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

i will play this game of  " what ever happened to  _____ "  "or where are they now..   ? "

the cop that was caught on tape being a Dick.. by a kid with a camera on the headrest i think it was  ?

video is of the kid in a parking lot at night ..  cop blocks his car and starts the show..

Is that the one that said paraphrasing  

you fuck with me and Ill make up so much shit you'll never get out of prison?

none will believe a 16 year old punk but everyone will believe a police officer

or better yet Ill say ya grabbed for my gun

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:55:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember that. The kid was transmitting the video offsite so the cop couldn't confiscate it. Smart move.

Every encounter between officers and citizens should be on video. It'll help protect the innocent party, whichever party that happens to be.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:56:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Was the kid driving a Maxima?  I remember something like that back in the day when I was on maxima.org  

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Was the kid driving a Maxima?  I remember something like that back in the day when I was on maxima.org  

Eclipse I think

sure it was a set up but the cop fell right into it

found it

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:06:07 AM EDT
[#19]
$1,000 fine

I'm kind of torn on this.
I know they didn't mean to do it, but you can't just shoot guns willy nilly and whenever something happens say "oops. That was an accident".

The fine is an insult.

Why can't they sentence them to 2 years in jail? They wouldn't do all of it, and they could get an expungement.

....$1,000 fine
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:10:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

found it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyFXNcKjqdg

He didn't fall into anything. He charged headfirst.

That officer represents some of the worst corruption out there. Not only did he threaten to destroy somebody with made-up bullshit, he was incompetent, too (claimed the kid didn't use his directional when in fact the kid did).
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:12:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember that. The kid was transmitting the video offsite so the cop couldn't confiscate it. Smart move.

Every encounter between officers and citizens should be on video. It'll help protect the innocent party, whichever party that happens to be.

yup.

what ever happened to him ?

im curious.

can anyone find out..    we really do need a "where are they now " on this guy..  

ill bet one team membership he is employed somewhere else as a cop now..

< ill donate the membership friday and staff can give it to who ever they want to >
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:14:39 AM EDT
[#22]
offical thread hijack..

talking about the cop in the OP: will make me so damn mad.. so lets talk about this asswipe..

and STILL leo's here on this site stepped up the plate and went to bat for him.,

wasnt there an afterparty ?  with cops parking at the end of his house just "wacthing" him?

edit  

dont mean the kid had an actuall "afterparty" im refering to the cops keeping up thier shananagens for few days afterwards....  

not REALLY doing anything "wrong" just meking thier presense known to him  ..  

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:15:47 AM EDT
[#23]
My guess is that he is somewhere drinking himself to oblivion.

Thats where I would go.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:16:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

happened.

Just to be clear the cop was on the property next door when he fired....bullet left the property and hit the boy next door while he was fishing with Grandad at the family pond

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:30:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Officer went home safely.

Probably awarded a medal. Thats seems to be how this shit works.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:33:19 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

found it

He didn't fall into anything. He charged headfirst.

That officer represents some of the worst corruption out there. Not only did he threaten to destroy somebody with made-up bullshit, he was incompetent, too (claimed the kid didn't use his directional when in fact the kid did).
I like how he went from  yelling dropping F bombs to saying he was P'd off in a warm and supportive voice

dude was a indefensible ass which must be his habit for this guy to go through all the trouble of camera and off site transmitting

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:34:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:35:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:36:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:37:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Two pages. Five locks. Three time-outs. Two permabans. One blue line.

you would think....but that thread actually ran for over a year and 1000 posts from the shooting to the day the cops went to court...most everybody held it together until the cops got off light and the Dad showed up on Arfcom

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:42:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No jury would have convicted them.

If this is true, then why plea bargain?
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:46:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:46:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup.

im curious.

can anyone find out..    we really do need a "where are they now " on this guy..  

< ill donate the membership friday and staff can give it to who ever they want to >

I actually bought the Maxima dude his membership.   He didn't post much after his epic thread.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If this is true, then why plea bargain?

bingo.

Pure tragedy any way you turn it, but I still feel that incidents like this just create a wider riff between leo's and the populous. I assure you that if the role was reversed, or actually if the shooter wasn't leo that the outcome would have been vastly different.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:54:09 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's a big F'ing surprise. No jail time for cops. I guess if you're going to do something stupid and kill a kid, it helps to be a cop.

FAIL

NORMAN –– The family of a 5-year-old boy who was killed when a bullet from a Noble police officer's gun struck him is angry that a plea agreement between the officer and the state requires no jail time.

Cleveland County prosecutors have offered deferred sentences to two former Noble police officers charged with second-degree manslaughter in the Aug. 3 death of Austin Haley.

"It's nothing more than a slap on the wrist, if you ask me," Jack Haley, the boy's father, said Tuesday.

Haley said sentencing for Paul Bradley Rogers, 34, and Robert Shawn Richardson, 29, would be deferred for two years in exchange for them entering guilty pleas. The men also would be fined $1,000 each and ordered to forfeit their state law enforcement certifications, he said.

Assistant District Attorney David Brockman declined to confirm that an offer has been made in the cases.

"We know the family is unhappy, but we can't comment on cases that are pending," Brockman said.

Haley said Brockman and District Attorney Greg Mashburn told the family on Monday about the offer.

The family most objects to the provision that doesn't require the men to serve any jail time, Haley

said.

"This sweetheart deal doesn't serve us; it doesn't serve justice, and it doesn't serve the public," he said.

The family still is grieving the loss of a child, Haley said, "and now this. This just makes it worse. We're the victims here, and we don't feel like we have an advocate."

Austin Haley died when a bullet from one of the officers' guns ricocheted and hit him while he was outside fishing with his grandfather. The officers were in a neighbor's yard, firing at a snake in a birdhouse.

"They killed somebody because of their negligence. They shouldn't get deferred sentences that can be expunged from their record after two years are up," he told The Oklahoman.

Brockman said prosecutors have kept the Haley family informed of the case's progress.

But Haley said until Monday he thought prosecutors were talking about some jail time, "like, maybe 30 days."

On Monday, he said, the family learned that the two men had waived their rights to a preliminary hearing and that a disposition date for the cases had been set.

They would if they followed the judge's jury instructions.

That was a textbook case of manslaughter.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:55:00 AM EDT
[#37]
What would be the outcome if a 'civilian' shot at the bird, missed, bullet hit water, ricotched and killed a 5 yr old boy, let's say a police officer's boy.

so why is this different from that outcome?
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:57:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What would be the outcome if a 'civilian' shot at the bird, missed, bullet hit water, ricotched and killed a 5 yr old boy, let's say a police officer's boy.

so why is this different from that outcome?

People kill one another in hunting accidents and range accidents on a regular basis.  Should they all be charged with murder?  Most are not charged at all...  

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FAIL

said.

Not to start something, but there are charges that should have been filed.  Unlawful/unsafe discharge of a firearm, and other things like that.  The last I checked shooting a snake "stuck" in a bird house wasnt an approved scenario for discharging a firearm.  If the officers were not PD, they would have been charged with misdemeanors just like this, and probably a felony for not following the 4 firearms safety rules.  The shooter's negligence resulted in a death, that sounds like a text book manslaughter case.  

I do not see any reason why I would not convict the shooter on any of those charges.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 10:01:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Under the circumstances, I think the punishment is too much for the crime.
There was no thuggery involved.  
Just a freak accident.
And a lot of tragedy.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 10:07:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 10:18:12 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was a textbook case of manslaughter.

Several of us in this thread were involved in the original one.

Personally I think you would have a hard time getting a jury to put those two cops in prison over this tragic accident.

One cop did what the older more expirenced one told him to do while getting reassurance from the neighbor it was safe to shoot...blah, blah.

They even checked to see if anyone was back there.

Not seeing it happen.

I was in the original thread - one of them, anyway.

Juries don't sentence people - judges do.

Their actions fit the legal standard for manslaughter.

Could someone on the jury choose to nullify?  Of course.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup.

im curious.

Looks like he was fired after all...

Suspension and firing of Sgt. James Kuehnlein

On September 7, 2007, Brett Darrow, a St. Louis City resident, created an Internet sensation after posting an online video[5] of an encounter with St. George police Sgt. James Kuehnlein. In the video, Kuehnlein approaches Darrow while he waits in a parked car in a commuter parking lot. When Darrow asks Kuehnlein whether he did anything wrong, the officer orders Darrow out of the car and threatens to fabricate charges and arrest him.

Darrow told the news media that he pulled into the commuter lot to meet a friend. When the officer asked him for identification, Darrow said he didn't immediately present it because he believed the officer stopped him without probable cause. After the video gained popularity on the Internet, Kuehnlein was suspended without pay. In response, St. George Police Chief Scott Uhrig said, "I was very displeased when I saw the actions on the video."[6]

The press later revealed that Sgt. Kuehnlein had been previously arrested for assault and stealing, and in late September, he was fired by the city's Board of Aldermen in a 5-0 vote

ETA:

A check of court records shows Kuehnlein himself pleaded guilty of assault and stealing in two different cases, in 1988 and 1990. He successfully petitioned a judge in St. Louis County in 1998 to expunge his criminal record, which was making it hard for him to get work as a cop.

The judge ordered those records sealed, as well as records of an acquittal for drunken driving and an assault arrest that did not result in charges.
St. George Police Chief Scott Uhrig earlier this week suspended Kuehnlein without pay while he investigates the case. On Wednesday, Kuehnlein hired attorney Travis L. Noble, a former police officer. He said he would review the unedited video today.

Uhrig said he has worked hard to cleanse the city of its image as a speed trap with a police department staffed by novices. But even he is not untouched by scandal.

Five years ago, an administrative commission upheld an accusation that Uhrig propositioned a 17-year-old girl for sex during a traffic stop in 2000, when he was an Arnold officer.

Chrystal Cole's civil rights lawsuit against Uhrig and the city went to mediation; the disposition was not made public.

Cole told investigators that Uhrig had her drive to an empty parking lot where he spoke of jail, petted her arm and face, told her she was "beautiful, hot, and tempting," and suggested a "quickie."

At the time, Uhrig denied ever seeing Cole that night, and said that she had fabricated the story out of malice over her previous contact with Arnold police.

The commission upheld Cole's accusation.

On Wednesday, Uhrig reacted angrily to questions about the case and repeatedly denied the accusation.
In an e-mailed statement, he said, "This incident that I was accused of seven years ago does not (have) anything to do with the current situation."

St. George has just under 1,300 people, but its police wrote about 3,000 tickets there in 2005.

To Gary Hardesty, a St. George resident for 39 years, his city is "a speed trap." To little benefit of residents, he said, officers camp out on the main thoroughfare, Reavis Barracks Road, and pull over drivers.

"If the officers had a good reputation and were qualified, they wouldn't work for this department," said Hardesty, 65.

ETA:

ST. GEORGE, Mo., Dec. 22 (UPI) –– A former Missouri police chief has been charged with two sex crimes against a 14-year-old child, a Jefferson County prosecutor said.

Scott Uhrig, who was the top police officer in the now-defunct St. George Police Department, was charged Dec. 7 with second-degree statutory sodomy and sexual misconduct involving a child. He pleaded not guilty, and was released Dec. 15 after posting $10,000 bond, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported Tuesday.

The first charge carries a maximum sentence of seven years and the maximum penalty for the second charge is four years, the newspaper said.

Uhrig was required to submit to pretrial supervision by a private probation service, rid his home of all weapons, refrain from contact with the girl, and secure a job or give a good explanation for not having one, as conditions of his bond, the Post-Dispatch said.

Prosecutor Forrest Wegge said the alleged crimes took place July 1, 2008, but were not reported to the sheriff's office until May 19. Investigators gave the case to the prosecutor in September.

The newspaper did not report the reasons for the delays.

I think it's safe to say he will not be a cop anymore.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 10:57:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Just showing how many cops do their job.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eclipse I think

found it

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 11:05:43 AM EDT
[#47]
My only contribution to this thread:

http://www.nrahq.org/education/guide.asp

1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
This is the primary rule of gun safety. A safe direction means that the gun is pointed so that even if it were to go off it would not cause injury or damage. The key to this rule is to control where the muzzle or front end of the barrel is pointed at all times. Common sense dictates the safest direction, depending on different circumstances.

2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
When holding a gun, rest your finger on the trigger guard or along the side of the gun. Until you are actually ready to fire, do not touch the trigger.

3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
Whenever you pick up a gun, immediately engage the safety device if possible, and, if the gun has a magazine, remove it before opening the action and looking into the chamber(s) which should be clear of ammunition. If you do not know how to open the action or inspect the chamber(s), leave the gun alone and get help from someone who does.

When using or storing a gun, always follow these NRA rules:

* Know your target and what is beyond.
     Be absolutely sure you have identified your target beyond any doubt. Equally important, be aware of the area beyond your target. This means observing your prospective area of fire before you shoot. Never fire in a direction in which there are people or any other potential for mishap. Think first. Shoot second.

* Know how to use the gun safely.
     Before handling a gun, learn how it operates. Know its basic parts, how to safely open and close the action and remove any ammunition from the gun or magazine. Remember, a gun's mechanical safety device is never foolproof. Nothing can ever replace safe gun handling.

* Be sure the gun is safe to operate.
     Just like other tools, guns need regular maintenance to remain operable. Regular cleaning and proper storage are a part of the gun's general upkeep. If there is any question concerning a gun's ability to function, a knowledgeable gunsmith should look at it.

* Use only the correct ammunition for your gun.
     Only BBs, pellets, cartridges or shells designed for a particular gun can be fired safely in that gun. Most guns have the ammunition type stamped on the barrel. Ammunition can be identified by information printed on the box and sometimes stamped on the cartridge. Do not shoot the gun unless you know you have the proper ammunition.

* Wear eye and ear protection as appropriate.
     Guns are loud and the noise can cause hearing damage. They can also emit debris and hot gas that could cause eye injury. For these reasons, shooting glasses and hearing protectors should be worn by shooters and spectators.

* Never use alcohol or over-the-counter, prescription or other drugs before or while shooting.
     Alcohol, as well as any other substance likely to impair normal mental or physical bodily functions, must not be used before or while handling or shooting guns.

* Store guns so they are not accessible to unauthorized persons.
     Many factors must be considered when deciding where and how to store guns. A person's particular situation will be a major part of the consideration. Dozens of gun storage devices, as well as locking devices that attach directly to the gun, are available. However, mechanical locking devices, like the mechanical safeties built into guns, can fail and should not be used as a substitute for safe gun handling and the observance of all gun safety rules.

* Be aware that certain types of guns and many shooting activities require additional safety precautions.

* Cleaning
     Regular cleaning is important in order for your gun to operate correctly and safely. Taking proper care of it will also maintain its value and extend its life. Your gun should be cleaned every time that it is used.

A gun brought out of prolonged storage should also be cleaned before shooting. Accumulated moisture and dirt, or solidified grease and oil, can prevent the gun from operating properly.

Before cleaning your gun, make absolutely sure that it is unloaded. The gun's action should be open during the cleaning process. Also, be sure that no ammunition is present in the cleaning area.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 12:04:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

happened.

How pathetic is that?....... ^^^^

A young child was killed by an idiot with a pistol ,who had little or no regards to firearm safety, and your sympathy falls to the officer .

Just when I thought that I had seen it all.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 12:05:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Once again, gotta know your backstop.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 12:44:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate it when I get a car that does not have digital video. It's great.

If I was in your position I'd have the exact same opinion.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top